Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing Go Bag/Bug Out Bag

Default Fly Fishing Go Bag/Bug Out Bag

Not talking about doomsday prepping or anything, but what is your grab and go setup?

Let me explain: I am a very forgetful man. It is always a scramble for me to make sure I have all my gear before heading out the door, and I inevitably always forget something. This past weekend I went fishing with some new guys I had never gone out with before, and a couple had big rubber maid bins they had all their gear in, so they could grab and go, and it got me thinking.

Now, like I said I am a forgetful man. However, I also love to be organized. So I stumbled upon this. The bottom portion is big enough to store my vest, boots, waders, swim trucks, towel, water shoes, and hat. The top is compartmentalized, and I have it sorted our to store replacement spools of tippet, floatant, leaders, weights, strike indicators, sunscreen, aquaseal, duct tape, etc. I even bought some of those heavy duty rubber twist ties that I plan to drill through the side to attach my rod tubes.

This stuff gets me really excited. For one, I should (in theory) forget essentials way less often. Two, this should help keep my girlfriend off my back because my fishing **** is all over the place.

What about you guys? How do you set yourself up to run out the door at a moments notice, and not forget a thing?

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Default Re: Fly Fishing Go Bag/Bug Out Bag

My car looks like a fly shop. The only rule I have is not taking anything out of the car. I have a hell of a time finding stuff in the mess that's in my trunk/back seat, but I know if I jump in the car I'll have everything I need.

I will say, those organisers that wrap around the big Rubbermaid bins look good. Waders, boots, and maybe a rod tube inside. All your tools/gadgets/tippet on the outside. Grab and go.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. Likes Ard liked this post

I used to have a plastic tote to carry all of my gear in. After seeing a friend with bag, I decided the bag was easier to carry as it has a carry strap and frees my hands up for other gear.

Here is what I found at L.L. Bean:

Invalid URL

I got the XL and it works like a charm. It can hold a bunch of gear.
    Mainline the blueline

6. Likes Ard, stinger22 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

A rectangular 'laundry tub' covers my bets save for the rods. Those are in the garage and lumped together based upon the type of fishing expected. Big stuff on the bottom and 'small stuff' on top. As far as the on river I'll carry as little as possible, tools are on a 'string thing' and just use the forceps to clamp it on my shirt/coat.

Will I remember 'I need?' Not a chance in heck!!

If a resupply is needed the 'empty, or almost close, goes on the front passenger seat. If REALLY on the needs list on the drivers seat. There I can't sit down with out a memory jab. At 75 I need those ...

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

8. Likes iowa driftless, Ard liked this post

Keep bag in car. Holds 3 plano trays & 9 or 10 fly boxes. Also 4 rods. Keep freshwater bag (same) & larger go away in closet. Unless different bag is called for. I just get in car. Keep rain jacket, hat, boots, glasses also in car.

....... pc

10. Likes Ard liked this post

I'll confess to being a "pack junkie". Every time I see a new wearable, be it belt, sling, or backpack/chestpack combo it's easy to justify it's purpose and purchase.

I buy or make in threes (minimally, often more) so I can have the tools and gadgets needed in any pack I grab. Always have at least three license printings to avoid forgetting it. Many spools of tippet most often used and yes, I did grab a heapin' handful of the $.99 spools of cheap Walmart mono for the spools themselves.

Lots of nippers, here. Just can't have too many nippers.

The various bags/packs hang off my rod cabinet from screw-in hooks with all the good stuff already packed in them. Free time and opportunity is not something to be taken for granted or passed on.

Good topic. Gotta have the plan in place and ready to go at any moment.

It's funny...now the Doomsday folk don't look so crazy after all. Maybe that's what happens if you don't fish enough, it all just manifests itself in other ways. We, the fortunate

12. Likes shaunsquid, Ard liked this post
  13. Default Re: Fly Fishing Go Bag/Bug Out Bag

I started keeping a bin of my gear last year and it is the best and easiest way to remember my gear. My short term memory is not the best, this way it is also a stress reliever... "I feel like I'm forgetting something" but if I have my bin I stress a lot less, I know its in there... Plus it makes going on trips a lot easier, I use to show up and transfer arm-load after arm-load into my buddies truck, now I just throw my bin, pack and rods in the back and I am 100% good to go!

I now do the same for skiing...

14. Likes Ard, Bigfly liked this post

Overnight bag, or 3 or 4 overnights. LOL I keep this 90% ready all the time.

16. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by knotjoe View Post
    I'll confess to being a "pack junkie". Every time I see a new wearable, be it belt, sling, or backpack/chestpack combo it's easy to justify it's purpose and purchase.

I buy or make in threes (minimally, often more) so I can have the tools and gadgets needed in any pack I grab. Always have at least three license printings to avoid forgetting it. Many spools of tippet most often used and yes, I did grab a heapin' handful of the $.99 spools of cheap Walmart mono for the spools themselves.

Lots of nippers, here. Just can't have too many nippers.

The various bags/packs hang off my rod cabinet from screw-in hooks with all the good stuff already packed in them. Free time and opportunity is not something to be taken for granted or passed on.

Good topic. Gotta have the plan in place and ready to go at any moment.

It's funny...now the Doomsday folk don't look so crazy after all. Maybe that's what happens if you don't fish enough, it all just manifests itself in other ways. We, the fortunate
    Would like to hear more about this rod cabinet you speak of. Or pictures even if you have them handy.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I am a vest guy, though I am looking at switching to a tech vest/vest-backpack combo (hmmmm....that Fishpond CrazyHorse might be right up my alley someday). The only bag I have big enough to carry all my fly gear is an internal frame 65L, but that is my "Go Bag" for back country weekends.

This new setup, for me, seems perfect as I can through my fully loaded vest, and stuff I need EVERY trip in the bottom. All the spare, replacement, emergency, saftey, etc. stuff is organized up top in the clear boxes so I can see everything. Throwing it all in a duffel seems like a nightmare. I dont want to spend 10 minutes searching for the loose spool of 6x floating around in there.

Blog Entries

Since I joined a group of fly fishermen I acquired a wheeled duffle-bag from High Sierra that is 34x16x15. It has a lower compartment with a hard bottom. the waders, boots and a mat rolled up around my wading staff. the upper main compartment holds a change of clothes, a rod or two, my vest and net. The two side compartments hold reels and sunglasses, gear like gloves, mask spare hats. You have plenty of room for spare spools tippet fly boxes or whatever Most of us have something similar, It makes it easier if four or five of us go together in the same vehicle. They make a 36 inch that many use. Since some travel by air to fish. it can hold a lot of their gear and clothing while they carry on a rod, reel, and essentials in a backpack. If you catch it on sale the price is good.

Bill

19. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast