Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kelly: I don't feel strongly either way, but then in the last paragraph he goes on and says 'In my opinion it would be a good decision to ban all nymphs, nymph systems and streamers which cannot be cast by using multiple overhead false casts on an average distance of 15 m".
I don't agree with that at all.

Is his attempt at banning Czech nymphing just a first strp to ban all nymphing?

Larry

ghostdncr

Reaction score
In my experience, there are always going to be individuals who try to game the system.

I get deep satisfaction from taking fish on tiny dry flies, but use wets and nymphs periodically and am just starting to dabble in streamers. Czech nymphing strikes me as a method of gaming the system, so I can't imagine ever trying it. At the same time, it raises the question should we ban everything sub-surface? Kinda like gun control, in that where do you draw the line?

If you really want to fill the larder with fish, you're gonna be hard pressed to beat a quarter-stick of dynamite for "bait". I don't see the majority of us trying that, either. :icon_roll

FlyBum

Reaction score
"Hereby I want to ask all owners of fly-only-waters to overthink this development and their tackle regulation"

Since when is over-thinking anything a good thing.

I am a Supervisor in a state agency and if I do not manage over-thinkers (a.k.a. analysts) they will never get anything completed.

Matter of fact if I do not give them very specific criteria I'll end up with reports from them the size of an encyclopedia, when I only need a few pages.

IMO this guys whole article is certainly wasted and ridiculous over analysis.

Perhaps I'm just too simple comparing Czech nymphing or any other nymphing technique to fly and bubble fishing is just plain nuts.

This dude needs a Protologist to help him find is head!:yikes:

Jackster

Reaction score
This stuff originated in Europe where fly fishing is a far cry from what we have access to here in the U.S.
I really wish that sort of dredging for fish could have stayed in Europe but the Euro fly fishing contest rules pretty much dictate what can and cannot be used so chains of heavy nymph-like baits are dragged through the current. Since those international competitions are now becoming popular here in the States, a good number of American anglers are now adapting to the Euro rules.
I imagine we too may one day see indoor fly fishing competitions like they have in Europe. As for me, the competitors can have it... I'll leave that sort of stuff to those who fly fish for reasons far different than mine.

Last edited:

crittergetter

Reaction score
I am a fan of all kinds of fishing especially fly fishing. And I think this guy needs to get a real job and quit trying to sell stories to the first one that will publish it. Maybe he watched to much "River Runs Through It" and has a hidden fantasy of being Brad Pit!!!

His logic doesn't hold water. If his logic did then where do you stop? Streamers, Tandem Riggs??? Can I use a San Juan Worm? Can I use a hopper dropper combo or hopper Gnat combo?

I still go home 2 times a year visit my folks and fish the San Juan. If I were to use his logic, and ban any fishing except Dry's, you would barely have a chance to catch a few fish looking up. They eat sub surface bugs and the bugs are really really small.

I nymph fish and now use 2 or 3 bugs. The first is my weighted fly. Sometimes I use a #8 Tungsten Bead head Hairs ear followed by a nymph, emerger, or larva pattern. Are they illegal also? Sometimes I use a Czech Nymph to drop the second hook down and float it down an edge of a fast stream or around a rock.

:sorry: Rant over...

I agree with Fishingmonkey maybe we need to get him a snorkel so he can breath better:teef:

CritterGetter

PS... What he really needs to do is write an article to have people push against the banning of all lead everything in fishing. The NRA got their side removed in the latest bill but us fisher people don't have the Lobby they do.

Did I say Rant Over? :p

milt spawn

Reaction score
probably poked the proverbial sleeping dog with this one!! i wonder how this guy feels about saltwater 'fly fishing', is it dry's only, or is a deceiver ok? ever fished a lake with a wooly bugger? swung a leech for steelhead? caught a smallie on a clouser? sounds to me like this guy's just missing out on a lot of fun fishin'!!!! milt.

mudbug

Reaction score
I've watched some of Brian CHan's videos and read some about chronomid fishing, and what all that it seems that 80% of what fish eat is sub-surface.

Just spent a day at lee's ferry floating a san juan worm and a zebra midge under a thingamabob, sure felt like I was fly fishing. Wasn't I?

I've read lots of stuff posted by Joni and Mojo here on this site about fishing chronimids deep under a slip indicator, are people really gonna start telling them they aren't fly fishing?

madjoni

Reaction score
Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?O yea:)

Same subject provoke debates on many forums:rolleyes: but essence on the end of it is same....it is fly fishing:)

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
It's a shame that he was able to get that article published. People like that definitely have an agenda, and it isn't good. Fly fishing isn't just about the "enrolling" fly line...:D When fishing a flies only water it means exactly what it states; flies only, the last time I checked flies came in all sorts of types, dry, emergers, nymphs, streamers... It sounds to me like the fellow doesn't do well with nymphing and has a major case of jealousy when he finds someone who is adept at it.

Is Czech Nymphing fly fishing? Absolutely!

Dan

madjoni

Reaction score
It's a shame that he was able to get that article published. People like that definitely have an agenda, and it isn't good. Fly fishing isn't just about the "enrolling" fly line...:D When fishing a flies only water it means exactly what it states; flies only, the last time I checked flies came in all sorts of types, dry, emergers, nymphs, streamers... It sounds to me like the fellow doesn't do well with nymphing and has a major case of jealousy when he finds someone who is adept at it.

Is Czech Nymphing fly fishing? Absolutely!

Dan
Hi Dan
Agenda is true word and i will tell you why:D
Fly casting Instructor cant make money if you can catch fish without his so caled help(that 'help' coast a lot:teef:)
This fellow( and others) have not case of jelaousy,only bussiness;)

pszy22

Reaction score
In my mind, why would anyone care how some one else fishes as long as it's legal?

madjoni

Reaction score
In my mind, why would anyone care how some one else fishes as long as it's legal?
Yea,completly democratic point of view mate:cool::cool:
Did you know that same question is going on about Tenkara tehnigue(Is Tenkara fly fishing):D:D Oh,we sure had big debate about Tenkara on mine forum....some rough words was said but Tenkara won.'War' is still going on about Czech Nymphing:rolleyes:

They(and they are only fly casting instructors) care because they dont teach this tehniques:D

Last edited:

pszy22

Reaction score
Yep, I may just be overly sensitive regarding the need for people to criticize the way others fish.

Let me take that back, if truth be told, I really don't care about how anyone else fishes, or what anyone else thinks about the way I fish. For me, fishing is purely a selfish act, I do it only for my own personal enjoyment and entertainment.

As an aside, I find that when there is criticism regarding a technique, it's a pretty safe bet that the person criticizing has never tried said technique.

Apologizes given to anyone who is loosing sleep over how any of us spend our time astream.

p.s. As I think about it, I'm now guilty of criticizing the criticizers. Please feel free to criticize my criticism of the criticizers. :)

madjoni

Reaction score
haha.... criticize my criticism of the criticizers....:biggrin::biggrin:
I forget to said before because I am not advocate for czech style....i try that,it is deadly tehnique but i dont like it.....i dont like nymphing really much.....but hate when someone provoke debates about something that is really matter of personal taste and ways.

FlyBum

Reaction score
haha.... criticize my criticism of the criticizers....:biggrin::biggrin:
I forget to said before because I am not advocate for czech style....i try that,it is deadly tehnique but i dont like it.....i dont like nymphing really much.....but hate when someone provoke debates about something that is really matter of personal taste and ways.
I agree!

These kind of stupid arguments remind of people who have the same basic religious beliefs arguing and separating from each other over minor disagreements. Then each saying the other isn't a true believer, because of their insignificant differences.

I could see if people were dragging trebble hooks accross the bottom. Where I live we used to have a bunch of small creeks that were great for bass and pan fish. Every year I would see people with trebble hooks during bass spawning season trying to snag fish.

Fortunately there used to be a DFG fish hatchery that raised bass close by and there was always a Warden in the office so I would immediately drive over and report it. Then drive back and point them out to the Warden.

These kinds of things and other similar are the things we should be concerned about.

These other things are rediculous, superfluous arguments and just an attempt to impose personal preferences and opinions on others!

Last edited:

mojo

Reaction score
I think Gunter is p1ssed because every year, the Czech's and Poles outfish his countrymen.
Just another rambling blog from the country that gave the world another lunatic 100 plus years ago.
Just kidding Gunt!

So now we're going back down to the Cliffs for some more punishment!

guenter feuerstein

Reaction score
Hi to all

First of all I am the one who wrote the article this thread is about. As I changed the way my site is managed in regard of the language the link to the article is now not working any more. Here is the correct one:
Czech Nymphing ist kein Fliegenfischen - Fly Casting with G. Feuerstein

I just came across the thread when following dead links of my website. I recognized that there were some people completely wrong what my intention of the article is concerned. So let me please clear some things, but please do not expect an more comments from my side as I simply really have no time for forums at all.

First of all I am a nymph fisher. This is my favourite method for fishing for trout. I use dry flies, too(I love it!), but only when large fish are rising as I do not think it is wise to fish in the baby trout area in order to catch fish with a dry fly. Here in the European Alps where I was born the wonderful evening hatches which I know from my childhood have more or less vanished. It is a pitty but the times cannot be turned back. So nymph fishing became more popular. I also like to fish streamers especially if my target fish has switched to fish diet. And I like to fish the mouse even for grayling.

During the last decade years I spent many of my holidays in the salt fly rodding for bones as well as for tarpon, sailfish or marlin. I like it as long as it fullfils the criteria for fly fishing (e.g. pulling a fly behind a boat IMHO does not).

I am the least who wants to ban nymph fishing, streamer fishing or an other fishing. Not at all! In 2010 my book about nymph fishing was published. It is a 360 page book on that topic which meanwhile became a bestseller here. It is going deeper into the subject than any other book did over here. Some call it the missing link. It is still the nymph fishing book in German speaking countries. Unfortunately it is not available in English up to now. Sorry.

You can also be sure that I know how to fish the Czech Nymphing technique but -and this is my concern- in my opinion it is not fly fishing, despite of the fact that it is a fair technique that definitely catches fish. The czech nymphs are great!

If you use your fly line as the casting weight that casts your fly to the fish IMHO the criteria for calling it fly fishing is fulfilled. With one meter of fly line out of the rod tip and a heavy nymph, the fly line is definitely not carrying the nymph to the target but the other way round.

Why is it not allowed in a fly fishing competition to fish with monofilament on your reel, a match rod, only one meter of fly line between the leader and the monofilament? There is only one reason: One wants it to be called fly fishing allthough this is more or less all you need for czech nymphing under the rod tip.
If a nymph fisherman who uses an indicator of the size of a tennis ball but uses the fly line to cast it properly, he is more a fly fisher than a czech nympher who is only flipping tiny nymphs with a weighted end nymph upstream. The indicator fisher fulfills the criteria for fly fishing if he is using a leader which is long enough so that the fly cannot float under the indicator like under a bubble(e.g. 45° technique). I know some do not like indicators, but I think they are a must in fast water and if you fish a long dead drift which may be up to more than 40 m(!) you somehow have to see the end of your fly line on that distance.

If the only criteria which makes the difference between fly fishing and other sorts of fishing (which use a weight to cast the line) is eliminated what does remain then? It will be only a matter of time until the above mentioned proposal for czech nymphing tackle will enter fly fishing waters. It will be difficult to argue against. Do you really want to see fly fishing going that direction? I don’t, and that is my honest opinion.

I have taught fly fishing around the world, have developed fly casts to make fishing more effective and did a lot to make fly fishers more successful. But when I asked a young czech nympher the other day why he didn‘t like to learn to cast a fly line properly and got the answer: „Why should I? I don’t need too. I catch fish and that’s all I need!“, I recognized that there is something going completely wrong. This development I cannot support. I had many discussions on that topic and I know about other well known fly fishers who clench their fist in their pocket if it comes to czech nymphing but are afraid to speak out what they think.

I just wanted to make you think what fly fishing means to you. Be of another opinion, no problem. I just do not want to be part of that development no matter how many fish one can catch with it and how many -even friends- fish that way in the competitions.

Tight lines to all!

Günter Feuerstein

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
gOk,,what about me ? (and a lot of others) that will cast dries during the rise ,,usually mornings or late evenings, but use other offerings during non-rise times ?

Are we half fly fishermen ? Quarter fly fishermen ? 1/20th ?

What about fishing a dropper off a dry ? Trans-bender fly fisher-person ? What about the guy casting a dry with a nymph stick ? Is that an alternate lifestyle ? What if you are a dry fisherman but always felt that inside you wanted to nymph ? Do you,,,,go for the fly change operation ?

The entire question or statement is ,,,,,,,really not worth the time I took to post this.

Mike