Bucket List Trips

brokeoff

Reaction score
I'd like to hear what kind of trips people think about while they are at their desk or doing yard work. Are there different trips you have in mind for sweet and salt? In the states or abroad?

While I would like to fish 365 days a year, the reality is I spend more time geeking out on researching gear and trips than I do actually fishing.

After a fairly significant battle with my wife she somehow committed to giving me a week a year to go do a solo trip. This could be a DIY camping trip in the Whites or the Cape...but it could also be so much more. :icon_bigg

What do you guys think? How has your travel changed over the years? Did you find the perfect spot and return year after year or are you always looking for something new? Anything you would suggest to a new guy taking his first trip next year?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If I had the money I would like to fish New Zealand, Kamcatka, Patagonia, Cuba and Campeche. Since I'm retired and don't have that kind of money, I'm content fishing the streams and lakes in Wyoming (despite not having any trout), Montana, Idaho, Utah and Colorado.

brokeoff

Reaction score
If I had the money I would like to fish New Zealand, Kamcatka, Patagonia, Cuba and Campeche. Since I'm retired and don't have that kind of money, I'm content fishing the streams and lakes in Wyoming (despite not having any trout), Montana, Idaho, Utah and Colorado.
You are stuck in the right spot.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
After a fairly significant battle with my wife she somehow committed to giving me a week a year to go do a solo trip. This could be a DIY camping trip in the Whites or the Cape...but it could also be so much more. :icon_bigg

What do you guys think? How has your travel changed over the years? Did you find the perfect spot and return year after year or are you always looking for something new? Anything you would suggest to a new guy taking his first trip next year?
My buddy and I did a week or more 15 years straight to the cape, but after the striped bass population crashed we started spending our annual fishing trip in Maine, fishing for brookies and LLS
That's been 6 years now. Three in the Rangeley area, three in the "super secret place" :cool:
We'll probably go back to the cape next spring...
People that don't fish the salt don't know what they're missing.

Hopefully, I'll be headed on a solo trip to south Flordia this winter.
:secret:
As of now, the wife thinks that the plan is for me to fly down, spend a few days with my friends and fly back, but I'm leaning on driving down and staying for a couple of weeks, fishing and camping out of the back of my truck
:secret:

winstonwt

Reaction score
I agree with mcnerney,new zealand,chile,kamchatka.I am not retired but still fish my gunnison,frying pan and Taylor rivers just about every weekend.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You are stuck in the right spot.
Yes, I'm very blessed to be located right in the middle of such awesome fishing. This year I fished the Henry's Fork, the Madison, the Green (both in WY and UT), the Gunnison, the Bighorn in WY, the North Platte and a few different lakes.

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
Lucky for me all of mine & the wife's vacations are centered around fishing. She is almost as addicted to it as I am.

As for future destinations, bone fishing in Hawaii is next on our list followed by New Zealand...once we get a chance to take some time off:eek:. She just finished school and started her residency, which translates to...No Free Time! Hahaha! I guess I'm relegated to chasing butter bellies on the Little Red until then.

crc01

Reaction score

I’ve done Campeche. It’s awesome and worth it. If you don’t go overboard on meals and drinking, you can do it cheaper than the package deals from the big name travel companies. Me and a buddy fished four days with Campeche tarpon. You can do it for around 1300-1500 a person plus flights and tips. Of course that’s hard to do because there are great places to eat and drink there. Call Alejandro and tell him you’re on a budget. He’s a great guy and will probably help you out with how to save.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

I’ve knocked a few off my list in recent years. Montana, Everglades, And Campeche. Also discovered one that I didn’t know should have been on it until I went there which is Permit fishing in Xcalak.

Remaining are too many to list but I’ll try.

Kamchatka
Bolivia
Patagonia (either Argentina or Chile)
Seychelles
Baja for roosters off the beach (probably doing this next year)
Tanzania for tiger fish

Those are the main ones. The problem is I love Montana and Mexico so much. I keep using my money and time to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfetz

Reaction score
I crossed a few off my U.S list this summer on a 2 week driving vacation. Fished the Missouri, Blackfoot, Henry's, Madison, Salt (WY), Green (UT) and Gallatin. Good times.

JoJer

Reaction score
I grew up in S Jersey and summered week ends on the coast with relatives. I didn't fish then and no one else in the family did, either.
Now that I live in Boise, I'm smack in the middle of trouts-ville ...and the top of my bucket list is the Jersey coast, in the fall, for Bluefish on the fly.

steveid

Reaction score
Yucatán for Tarpon
Seychelles - Cosmo for GT and everything else involved
BC for steelhead
Patagonia

That would do.

flyminded

Reaction score
The one that sits atop my list currently is Iceland.

There's also a couple of remote outer Bahamian islands I've also gone an eye, that shall remain nameless.

denver1911

Reaction score
No bucket list for me. I figure out what I want to do it .. and figugure out how to make it happen. My next trips: Charleston, SC for redfish next week, Belize in February, Christmas Island in May. Probably somewhere in January as well, just don't know yet. May try a trip to the Florida Gulf Coast in December. One day, I may venture to the Seychelles. Probably fish Roatan before that though.

brokeoff

Reaction score
No bucket list for me. I figure out what I want to do it .. and figugure out how to make it happen. My next trips: Charleston, SC for redfish next week, Belize in February, Christmas Island in May. Probably somewhere in January as well, just don't know yet. May try a trip to the Florida Gulf Coast in December. One day, I may venture to the Seychelles. Probably fish Roatan before that though.
But you do have a list of trips you'd like to do before you kick the bucket...right?

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

The one that sits atop my list currently is Iceland.

There's also a couple of remote outer Bahamian islands I've also gone an eye, that shall remain nameless.
I've been in contact with an outfitter in Iceland. Looking at options for a mix of guided and DIY days.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I must be narrow-minded compared to many of you. And maybe i wore out my personal travel bug on museums and battlefields and so forth before i got the fishing bug. BUT that said My bucket list mainly includes more places and more time fishing in the Yellowstone area where i spend parts of 3 months +/- at our cabin each summer (and fall most years). I tend to fish most on Lake Hebgen, the Madison and Henry's Fork. I am hoping to fish more in YNP and perhaps some on some of the big rivers in Montana such as the Missouri and Big Horn.

That really is my bucket list, modest though it may be.

denver1911

Reaction score
But you do have a list of trips you'd like to do before you kick the bucket...right?

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

I've been in contact with an outfitter in Iceland. Looking at options for a mix of guided and DIY days.
Nope. No list other than the one of what I want to do next. Fishing or otherwise.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
I must be narrow-minded compared to many of you. And maybe i wore out my personal travel bug on museums and battlefields and so forth before i got the fishing bug. BUT that said My bucket list mainly includes more places and more time fishing in the Yellowstone area where i spend parts of 3 months +/- at our cabin each summer (and fall most years). I tend to fish most on Lake Hebgen, the Madison and Henry's Fork. I am hoping to fish more in YNP and perhaps some on some of the big rivers in Montana such as the Missouri and Big Horn.

That really is my bucket list, modest though it may be.
Nothing modest in that list my friend;). You could do much worse. I need to make sure to include some YNP time in the schedule next year

Kev

Last edited:

jwmalone

Reaction score
I grew up in S Jersey and summered week ends on the coast with relatives. I didn't fish then and no one else in the family did, either.
Now that I live in Boise, I'm smack in the middle of trouts-ville ...and the top of my bucket list is the Jersey coast, in the fall, for Bluefish on the fly.
I fished as a child but not with a fly rod in SW la. Now that I'm hooked on it I think back on all those little creeks, ponds and lakes I fished as a kid and would love to go back through there with a fly rod. No trout but lots of very fly rod worthy species much like were I live now. Kinda funny what we don't realize as kids.