Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Kamchatka. Bank Shots. Can't stop watching

I was at that lodge last year. The footage is good but no film can do that place justice.. I have never seen the like of it for huge fish, a forrest without end, and a feeling of oneness with nature that rival or exceed Yellowstone or Yosemite. Add in some incredibly grounded guides who absolutely "Get it". Maan, I am ready to go back.

Jamie
    Last edited by fishordie; 10-22-2017 at 01:42 PM.

2. Likes scoutm liked this post

Default Re: Kamchatka. Bank Shots. Can't stop watching

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Just plug in some old Aerosmith really loud and drive like a Wildman next time you go out Larry, works for me.
    You can add me to that list as well. My expensive trip of a lifetime would probably coincide with a 1000 year flood in the region of destination. Hence I also prefer to navigate the ironies of my existence a bit closer to home and simply nudge the volume knob higher on the drive to emulate the video experience.

I really would be freakin' out for months thinking "Man, that river better be clear and fishable like the video when I arrive!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kamchatka. Bank Shots. Can't stop watching

Quote Originally Posted by knotjoe View Post
    I really would be freakin' out for months thinking "Man, that river better be clear and fishable like the video when I arrive!"
    Oh yeah, that's happened to me buddy!

I can relate to that in many ways, as a traveling angler I've experienced perhaps a 35/65 percentile split on favorable conditions with 35% being the favorable and the higher number covering flooding, blizzard conditions, or low water and heat. The worst guided trip I've ever had was the result of heavy and steady rains here for six days prior to two anglers arriving. The day the rain began I had just moved two guys into camp, for 4 1/2 days they fished through the rain as the river slowly rose. They caught 127 salmon covering 4 species and some nice trout also. I thought they would have caught more had the water not began to color on day three but........... By the time they flew out and the next 2 came in things were high and colored all over South Central AK. and that's a lot of territory. Those 2 people fished 4 days and caught 3 salmon

I've been on their end of a fishing trip before but I felt really bad. The only good news was that the camp had been well assembled and was on good high ground. The food was good and they were able to be dry when not trying to fish.

The common colloquialism is to say, 'Well that's fishing' but in reality it's a lot different when you have thousands involved in the trip and an act of nature shuts things down. I'll never be over there rocking out with the boys I know that. Heck a 5 day trip to a really good lodge & river would cost me 6K plus air fare and I live here. The only way I've been able to afford staying at lodges was to work for them.....................

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12