Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Any One Taking Glucosamine For Knee Pain?

Quote Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
    I gave it to my dog, an old Chesapeake with a bad hip. I gave it to her for about 6 months and didn't notice a difference, but when I ran out and didn't pick any up for a few days she definitely looked worse. The effects were subtle but the glucosamine-chrondroitin supplements did seem to help her.
    So the bottom line here is, try it on your dog first. I'm sure PETA is going to love this one.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

2. Likes fredaevans liked this post

It worked for me for years, maybe 20. My left knee hurt so bad it woke me up at night. I took Move Free, it took about 30 days to begin to notice some results. Now Iíve had it scoped twice...

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by fshng2 View Post
    Yes it does work.
    Been taken it for several years for knees and wrists.
    Try some and in a couple days you will feel great again.

FYI it's also sold as Glucosamine & Chondroitin.
    Chondroitin is also good for joints.
    Fitness Nutrition Joint Health sells it in a soft chewable orange cream flavor.
    Blue bit ... every day for my hands.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I too have heard that it works no better than a placebo, which isn't to say it doesn't work at all.

In fact, it might be a placebo. Thanks to the ridiculous laws that regulate non-FDA supplements...thanks to Senator Orin Hatch...the dosage stated on the bottle of a supplement doesn't have to correspond to the actual dosage in the supplement. Also in fact, there can be zero active ingredient in the supplement and it can still be perfectly legal. I'm guessin' there are a lot of food supplement businesses in Utah.

I took a class taught by a pharmacist where he described a study that bought multiple samples of legally sold supplements and measured the dosage of the active ingredient. Some samples were correct, some had more, some had less and some had zero active ingredient, and they were all legal under the letter of the law.

If you are buying a non-FDA approved supplement, and I believe Glucosamine is one of them, you have no idea what you are actually getting.

6. Likes c web, jwdow liked this post

Yes I take it as well for knees and hand & foot joints. Haven't needed any steroid shots so I'm sure it's getting the job done. Those hurt like hell.

Denny

8. Likes fredaevans, fshng2, audax liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I too have heard that it works no better than a placebo, which isn't to say it doesn't work at all.

In fact, it might be a placebo. Thanks to the ridiculous laws that regulate non-FDA supplements...thanks to Senator Orin Hatch...the dosage stated on the bottle of a supplement doesn't have to correspond to the actual dosage in the supplement. Also in fact, there can be zero active ingredient in the supplement and it can still be perfectly legal. I'm guessin' there are a lot of food supplement businesses in Utah.

I took a class taught by a pharmacist where he described a study that bought multiple samples of legally sold supplements and measured the dosage of the active ingredient. Some samples were correct, some had more, some had less and some had zero active ingredient, and they were all legal under the letter of the law.

If you are buying a non-FDA approved supplement, and I believe Glucosamine is one of them, you have no idea what you are actually getting.
    Well yes and no here.

As to the pill dosage it will be right on the side of the container; is one/two/?? the right dosage for you (usually two), and what its supposed to do.

Long list of bennie followed up by: "These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

Big Whoop-Whoop.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

myt1 is spot-on regarding the difficulty in knowing that you're getting what you're expecting with a supplement like we're talking about.

My only solution to that problem is to buy supplements from Costco as they're a business that tries to sell only quality products. Of course this is no guarantee.

I myself tried the glucosamine/chondroitin product myself and gave it to my two prior dogs (for many months) but couldn't tell a difference in my own joints nor theirs.

However, there don't seem to be negative effects, so I'd say to give it a try.

11. Likes fredaevans, myt1 liked this post

My experience with Glucosamine was similar to others. When I gave it to my dog I noticed a slight improvement but, I did not feel it warranted spending the money so I stopped and he got worse. I bought more and he definitely got better, not 100% but definitely better. I will probably take it when or if my knees start hurting. I am almost 60 now and get around no problem but I anticipate things can only go downhill from here. I notice all kinds of weird pains and skin things I never had before.

My experience with surgery has been that my Dad now in his 90's and my friend now in his 70's both tell me to avoid it, if at all possible. They both lost range of motion and still experience some degree of pain post surgery. Both also had to go to follow up surgeries several years after their first surgeries. My friend had to ultimately have a knee replacement which while it allows him to walk he cannot get down on his knees anymore. In talking with them about it they say they would have turned to more stretching exercise, swimming and eating healthier as opposed to surgery if they could do it over.

Regards,

Tim C.

13. Default Re: Any One Taking Glucosamine For Knee Pain?

I spent a lot of time working on my knees on a hard concrete floor. Didn't bother me much when I was young but from 40 on it really started to bother me. Tried the glucosamine thing and didn't help much. One day a new doctor told me to take plain old Vitamin D. I started with 4000 IU a day. After a month or so there was a noticeable difference, continued and my knees and leg joints feel 25 years younger. Your body needs vitamin D for healthy bones, joints and other functions and most people don't get enough naturally or through their diet. It works for me, won't hurt you and is cheaper than dirt. It's worth a try, you never know it might help.

14. Thanks fshng2 thanked for this post
    Likes littledavid123, audax, fq13 liked this post

Last January the doc said that I was 6 to 12 months from a replacement. When I asked him "when" he said that I would know. I have been taking it regularly since then. So far,so good. My wife is a veterinary tech. and she has seen it help too many times to be purely placebo.

16. Likes fredaevans, fshng2, littledavid123, audax liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast