Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Old fly tying and fishing books nice resource

Default Old fly tying and fishing books nice resource

I was perusing the internet and came across this gentlemen's website - Fly fishing and fly tying - my passion | Fly fishing and fly tying – my passion (RiverKeeper Flies) with references to several public domain books he likes. It is very easy to click the links and get these books downloaded in many formats including a Kindle format from the website archive.org.

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine describes itself as: "The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit library. Founded in 1996, our mission is to provide Universal Access to All Knowledge. We collect published works and make them available in digital formats. We are building a public library that can serve anyone in the world with access to the Internet."

Here is the link to John Kreft's recommendations:
    Old Fly Fishing and Fly Tying Books -

I am currently reading The Dry Fly and Fast Water by George M. L. La Branche (1914)

His writing is an easy read filled with tips and short stories to back up his ideas. Great tips for beginners and info for more advanced anglers alike. The techniques and ideas he is writing about is very applicable today. Evidently Mr La Branche was fairly well to do and a bit of a trout bum, as he had a driver that took him around to different rivers yet spent many of his days fishing and studying trout behavior and reading river currents. It is a little cringe worthy as while he complained about the trout population dwindling due to forestry habits, population expansion etc.. he kept putting the fish he caught in to his creel rather than releasing them.

Very interesting read so far... So I thought I would share.

Regards,

Tim C.

2. Thanks fshng2, littledavid123 thanked for this post

Default Re: Old fly tying and fishing books nice resource

I read "The Dry Fly and Fast Water" a couple of years ago and I remember there being tips included that I'd never seen anywhere else before
    Pretty good stuff for a 100 year old book.

Silver, just yesterday, referenced a photo from the 1980 book, "The Trout and the Fly".
    There's information in that book that hasn't been match since.

And my favorite book on trout behavior "In the Ring of the Rise" by Vince Marinaro (1976)
    A must read
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Likes hairwing530, toothybugs, tcorfey liked this post

I posted this link in a thread about the author Sidney Spencer just the other day but it's worth posting again here.

BalmahaAnglers' website (Loch Lomond) has a few selected chapters by various respected writers available as pdf files here. Nice to dip your toe in.

6. Likes hairwing530, tcorfey liked this post

A book I read years ago when I wanted to be able to read streams better was Ray Ovington's
    "Tactics on Trout." I passed along this book many times to people wanting to become better anglers over the last 40 years or so. Out of print, but many decent copies online for about $9 bucks! His sketches and comments still hold true.

8. Likes hairwing530, tcorfey liked this post

Great post, thanks for sharing.
    I was unaware old books were digitally stored and available for free.

10. Likes tcorfey liked this post

I see on Amazon that you can get "The Complete Book of Fly Fishing" by Joe Brooks. I still have the copy that belonged to my dad, that I used as a kid to learn to fly fish. It is a really good book.

12. Likes tcorfey liked this post