Zebra Midge - Cement or no?

markfrid

Reaction score
I'm tying a bunch of Zebra and other thread midges right now. I usually coat the body and wire wrap with clear Hard As Nails, for the purpose of durability. I don't know if it makes them more durable or not. I think it can't hurt for that purpose.

Do any of you do that? It does change the color of the lighter threads a little. I wondered if it might leave a lingering smell. On the other hand - most everybody uses a drop of head cement to seal the thread wraps. So the chance for a lingering smell is still there.

Just curious.

Mark

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I use Hard as Hull 'penetrator'. Gets into the material without any buildup. If I want slight buildup I use Hard as Hull 'cement'. Big buildup and it's 2 part epoxy. I use the nail stuff for a coat over lead wrapping.

The Hard as Hull products do not shrivel putting an ugly "white crust" on my finished fly.lol

c web

Reaction score
I coat the thread for an inch or so before I whip finish but that is it, I also use hard as nails.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I used to use some kind of glue or cement for zebra midges, but once I realized just how many ZMs I lost on a given day of fishing I stopped bothering with it. I tend to lose at least a couple dozen zebra midges when I spend a day at the Ferry, and it only takes about 45 minutes to an hour to tie that many up, plus they are extremely material efficient (just a hook, some thread, a bit of wire, and a bead), so I ceased to see any reason to make them more durable. YMMV of course.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I used to use some kind of glue or cement for zebra midges, but once I realized just how many ZMs I lost on a given day of fishing I stopped bothering with it. I tend to lose at least a couple dozen zebra midges when I spend a day at the Ferry, and it only takes about 45 minutes to an hour to tie that many up, plus they are extremely material efficient (just a hook, some thread, a bit of wire, and a bead), so I ceased to see any reason to make them more durable. YMMV of course.
This is true but I don't lose many flies believe it or not. Typically I pop the fly but that's easy with tiny ties. I noticed that with the HH penetrator I have not lost a single fly to unravel after being used all day and catching fish. I lose more dropping them on the bank. Small trout are the worst as their teeth can get between wraps and slice the thread. My buddy on the other hand was whining that one of his store bought flies started unraveling while tying it on. Lol

When the light begins to fail and magic hour has arrived, when my finger share more characteristics with icicles than flesh, I'd hate swapping flies because of tying failure.lol

I will say make sure the eye is clear BEFORE placing it in your box. No matter your strength of will, you just can't thread that line through that invisible blockage.

Tie tough,
CFF

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

euroorbust

Reaction score
My new favorite head cement/way to whip finish is coat an inch or so of the thread with zap-a-gap, take a few more turns of thread, then whip finish 2-3 times. Durable as can be.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I use hard as nails as well. However, I'm thinking about using us glue on the next batch I tie up. Has anybody used it?
What kind of glue? Is "us glue" a typo? If not, obviously I've never used it or heard of it.lol. Guess I'll ask "Google".

Quick share as "Kids say the darndest things". Coming home from taking my niece and nephew on a little fishing trek, my 6 year old neice and 8 year old nephew are discussing what is 'higher'. Then I get brought into their litttle "yes-no way" battle of perseverance. "Uncle Trent, what is higher, heaven or space?" I sit there for a second thinking of a good reply, "I really don't know but Heaven can be found on earth and in your heart and blah blah blah." After I give my answer my neice, without missing a beat, replied, "If you don't know you better Google it.".....lol, my heaven on earth.

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
I always use Hard as nails , I usually have a large number of zebras tied in multiple sizes and colors , they tie fast and I loose the quick lol , due to bottom snags , never have and isdue of falling apart , i think the combination of wire and hard as nails penetration its tough , as far as scent thats not really an issue

Airborne

dillon

Reaction score
What kind of glue? Is "us glue" a typo? If not, obviously I've never used it or heard of it.lol. Guess I'll ask "Google".

Quick share as "Kids say the darndest things". Coming home from taking my niece and nephew on a little fishing trek, my 6 year old neice and 8 year old nephew are discussing what is 'higher'. Then I get brought into their litttle "yes-no way" battle of perseverance. "Uncle Trent, what is higher, heaven or space?" I sit there for a second thinking of a good reply, "I really don't know but Heaven can be found on earth and in your heart and blah blah blah." After I give my answer my neice, without missing a beat, replied, "If you don't know you better Google it.".....lol, my heaven on earth.

Lol, oops, I meant uv glue. I hit the right key but the auto spell check corrected it for me.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Lol, oops, I meant uv glue. I hit the right key but the auto spell check corrected it for me.
The fabled auto in-corrector. My experience is UV glue (Cure goo,what I use) is if I'm forced to grab the fly with hemostats a few times, the UV can peel as it sits on the material instead of penetrating it. Don't have this problem any other time, just with using hemostats. Also UV is harder to control (taking more time) on a slender midge without making the body too robust. I use the **** out of on many other flies though.

alexs

Reaction score
I coat the ribbing wire with Super Glue before I wrap it. I haven't had in a long time ribbing sliding down the fly and breaking.
The S G that coats the wire penetrates the thread (somewhat) and keeps the ribbing in place. The only thing to pay attention to is that you have to wrap the ribbing before the S G dries... With a bit of practice, it takes 2 seconds and it dries in 2 seconds...

ralphs007

Reaction score
I coat the ribbing wire with Super Glue before I wrap it. I haven't had in a long time ribbing sliding down the fly and breaking.
The S G that coats the wire penetrates the thread (somewhat) and keeps the ribbing in place. The only thing to pay attention to is that you have to wrap the ribbing before the S G dries... With a bit of practice, it takes 2 seconds and it dries in 2 seconds...
I'm getting ready to tie up some for the spring,I'll give this a shot.

JoJer

Reaction score
This year was my first time tying 20's and 22's. I use 0/8 thread and contrasting ribs with 0/3 mono cord. When I tie in the 0/3, I put a couple of turns of 0/8 over it, then touch a tiny bit of head cement to the tag of the 0/3 and carefully pull it down to the wraps. The glue keeps it from pulling thru and I don't have to trim or add wraps to cover the tag. Once I get a whip finish, I apply a little glue with a bodkin behind the whipped knot on the under side of the fly, then add another whip over that. The right amount of glue behind the first knot will glue them both. Putting the bodkin behind the thread (on the under side of the fly) keeps my shaky fingers from getting glue near the eye.

pnc

Reaction score
I don't believe gluing flies changes a fishes mind. Some instances where things that should move don't. But smell no ! I tie flies with and without glue depending on whether Its needed or not. Theory on why some consider smell an issue might be insulting to some. Not meant to be or do so. But the last few people I've heard this from. Just don't catch fish. For whatever the reasons might be.
To me glue is an excuse of sorts for fishing skills. A fly presented correctly gets eaten. Glue or not.

......... pc

flytie09

Reaction score
I've never used anything as a coating on zebra midges. My opinion is the wrapped wire enough of a protection. I've never had any of them come apart. It wouldn't hurt.... but it's an unnecessary step as I can see it.

pnc

Reaction score
I'm tying a bunch of Zebra and other thread midges right now. I usually coat the body and wire wrap with clear Hard As Nails, for the purpose of durability. I don't know if it makes them more durable or not. I think it can't hurt for that purpose.

Do any of you do that? It does change the color of the lighter threads a little. I wondered if it might leave a lingering smell. On the other hand - most everybody uses a drop of head cement to seal the thread wraps. So the chance for a lingering smell is still there.

Just curious.

Mark
With size of fly mentioned. Coating whole fly will add weight. Could be positive or negative. Additional weight taken into account should not be a problem. I've seen pics on forum of uv coated nymphs.

...... pc

flav

Reaction score
I coat mine with nail polish or hard as hull, both come with an application brush which is handy. I tried UV cure cement but found it wasn't very durable, so I went back to the good old slow drying stuff. I'm sure no cement is necessary, but I like the way a coated fly looks and durability is important to me, so I'll continue to coat my midges.