Flies and/or Supplies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery (2018)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
It is time to start a new thread requesting flies for both 2018 Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery programs. This will be the sixth straight year we have donated flies and fly fishing materials to CFR and PHW. If you have any excess flies that you would like to donate or are willing to tie up six or maybe a dozen for those two great organizations, that would be wonderful. The flies don't need to be all the same pattern, but they do need to be unused flies. If you can't tie or don't tie flies, we also except fly boxes, nippers, forceps, tippet, leaders or other fly fishing related items that would be appropriate as raffle items for the respective retreats.

The Project Healing Waters fly donation will be going to Bob Gartner who is the program lead at Ft Belvoir and was a tremendous help the last several years in getting our flies distributed throughout the country to those PHW's programs in need. Last year our flies were added to the flies generated in the two fly tying marathons that PHW's put on, for a total of 5,000 flies that were distributed around the country. We ended up donating just over 1,000 flies to PHW, if I remember correctly. It never ceases to amaze me what a few people can do to help those in need.

We also are planning on donating flies to the Casper PHW program, as well as the Wyoming CFR program, the Michigan CFR program, and the Utah CFR program. If you have a favorite PHW or CFR program and want to donate your flies to them, let me know and I will make it happen. Last year we had 27 forum members who helped out with this project and we were able to donate 263 dozen flies and a ton of fly fishing related items to both of those great organizations. Thanks everyone that helped donate flies, materials and cash!!!!!

Paying it forward the best I can...

If your willing to donate flies or fly fishing related items to either Project Healing Waters or Casting for Recovery send me a PM and I will forward my address.

My goal is to have all donated flies and fly fishing accessories to me by the end of April 2018, so I can get them mailed to the respective organizations.

Don't miss out on a chance to win a NorVise:
Frank Whiton has donated a NorVise. His intent is to get more people interesting in donating to PHW, so everyone that donates will have their name thrown in a hat and at the end to April we will have a drawing to see who will win the Norvise.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Volunteers for the 2018 PHW and CFR fly and fly material donation:
1. Goshawk87........donation received!
2. Hairwing530
3. Anonymous........donation received!
4. McNerney.........flies completed!
5. Spm.........donation received!
6. Flyminded........donation received!
7. Dillon........donation received!
8. Swinginglass........donation received!
9. Mjkirshner........donation received!
10. Unknownflyman........donation received!
11. Dennyk........donation received!
12. Don_p........donation received!
13. Fredaevans........donation received!
14. Montanacur........donation received!
15. Dean_mt
16. Ryc72........donation received!
17. Scotty macfly........donation received!
18. Jfh245
19. R Reese........donation received!
20. Wjlapier........donation received!
21. Frank Whiton........donation received!
22. TrophyShots
23. Kevind62........donation received!
24. Oarfish
25. S fontinalis........donation received!
26. Regisg........donation received!
27. Depenner........donation received!
28. Jpbfly........donation received!
29. Wmw4........donation received!
30. Ottosmagic13........donation received!
31. Lacanadio
32. Denverdug........donation recevied!
33. Tx_newb........donation received!

The 2018 donation drive to PHW/CFR has come to a close! I will hold the drawing for the NorVise that Frank Whiton donated later today. Thanks, everyone for the very generous donations that you sent in this year to help with the PHW and CFR fly fishing programs!!!!

Last edited:

swinginglass

Reaction score

Just getting started! Thanks to all our Veterans for their service and their sacrifices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
That time of the year again, where does the time go? Yes, I’m happy to tie for the cause. Got another beautiful card from Bob and I love to see all the trip reports on Facebook.

In reading the reports and seeing the joy on people’s faces It always warms my heart. Hopefully my flies brought some good fish to hand as well.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Count me in for (About) 4 dozen flies .... I'm the US 'contact' for several guys in the UK, Dear God what they have to pay for stuff over there is enough to make you cry.

Last bit was a new set of Costa (spell that right?) sun glasses .. his price was the equilent of $200.00 US :popcorn:... same sun glasses here are less than $100.00 on sale.

Any way, have a bunch of trout flies he tied up for me; too small for Steelhead.

PM me your full name/address and I'll get them posted off to you

Fred

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Fred
I received your donation, thanks so much for such a generous gift and thinking about our vets, it is very much appreciated!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is what I have been working on for Project Healing Waters. Its a two sided fly box, just finished one side, from left to right, red Copper Johns, Flash back Pheasant tails, BH Hare's Ears, Rainbow Warriors, Crystal Dips, Midge, black with red ribbing, Olive WD-40's, Shop Vacs, Zebra Midge, black with amber ribbing, Zebra Midge, olive with silver ribbing:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Hey Larry, I've begun culling out old, unused flies again from my boxes that looked like great patterns but I never fished. I'm also tying some basics for the helluvit. I'll send you mixed bag sometime before April.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Thank you Larry for taking this on!:clap:
Thank all you donors!:clap:

I would also like to add that if you have some time to spare in the classroom or on the water, many local PHWFF branches could put you to work!

LOCATIONS – Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing to find out what you can do locally.

I am so fortunate to get to work and form good friendships with many these outstanding people.

Trent

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Swinginglass
Your fly donation arrived in the mail, awesome work, congrats!
Thanks for thinking about our veterans that are in the Project Healing Waters program, it is very much appreciated.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I just completed the second side of the fly box for PHW:
From left to right: SJW's six in purple and six red, Chubby Chernobyl, a tailwater micro midge six in olive and six in brown, X-Caddis, Eggs, black ants, Barr Emerger in PMD, Barr Emerged in BWO, and Jujubee midges in a variety of colors:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mjkirshner donated this beautiful streamer collection to PHW's. Thanks very much for helping out with the donation drive and thinking about our veterans that are learning to fly fish in Project Healing Waters!!!!