Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Mark line distances?

1. Default Re: Anyone Mark line distances?

I will be using it to reference how much line I have laid out not necessarily for read the length on the water.

I intend it to help with form and trying to learn at what length of line false casting am I most accurate and have the most power

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone Mark line distances?

IMO-
    Form is the same at any distance. My archery form remains the same, from a tree stand, on my knees, or shooting 10-70 yard targets. Same with my golf swing. Same with my fly cast. Form changes with type of fly fishing/cast; Spey, Czech/ roll, Belgian....BUT I use the same form playing put-put as I do on the greens. Distance in casting will change your rhythm and this will be learned through "feeling" the rod load, not by a mark on your line.

Practice is good as long as you're practicing good practices. LOL I do a lot of archery hunting and I set my targets at known distances for sighting in my bow. I do not have a life size elk or deer target. Even if I did, the tree size variations and terrain can skew observed distance. Result, years of experience will get me close. Close is good for hand grenades and horseshoes but "close" is not nearly good enough; so in comes the range finder.

The same problems I face as an archer I face on the water. Variations in size of rocks, river width, throw in moving terrain, and yardage on the line will not help me. In comes the my fly angling range finder, aka, the false cast. (Wished I could have a false arrow while hunting sometimes.) The only guy that I have ever witnessed needing to know a distance was a blind vet we helped one year through PHWFF. He would count off the given distance estimate of line in his hand and with a clock position delivered a fly. I really wish we could have been better at giving estimates because I think we frustrated him at times with our inability. There is more "rod feel" than one could ever explain to a non-fly angler. Hell of a guy and hell of a fly fisherman!

I don't think having marks on my line would have ever helped me but always do what you think will help YOU. We all learn differently. Even those that never learn have learned not to learn.
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

If you are trout fishing and are fishing dries you are far less likely to set a hook past 35 or 40 ft. Put that dry on a river and your odds go down even further. Nymph fishing on a river is even worse. 35 ft of line is about the length of the belly of 90% plus of your fly lines. Since that needs to be out to cast correctly, if you must mark something mark that. If nothing else, it gets that out of the rod tip and loads the rod correctly. But I see no reason to mark a line, other that ego of how far I think I can cast. Once you get 45 or 50 ft of line in the air, your ability to cast goes way down because of timing.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

I've done a lot of "after hours" fishing and when fishing at night, in the pitch dark, you'd think that you might have trouble knowing when to pick-up to start your back cast.

For this I've read that some people would thread-wrap a "bump" on their line so that they could feel when they were at the right spot.
    Personally I've never felt the need to do that. It's easy enough to do it by count.

I know approximately how many strips to pull off the reel to make a cast at a good "night time" distance, and I know how many strips it takes to retrieve that line too.
    You get the hang of it pretty easily
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Here's a different approach. Don't worry about how much line you can handle. Most fish that I hook into are around 30 feet away.
    You may see a fish rise across the river at 60 feet, but don't even try casting to it. Chances are the current and multiple seams are going to drag your fly out of the target area. You will only defeat yourself.
    Instead, reposition yourself to the fish you are targeting. Get closer if you can, look at the current to see if you can lay your line in there without it being ripped away, or having to mend over & over & over again. Like they say when buying a house, location is the key. I find it to be the same in fishing.
    Casting long distance is fun, I at times take my rod out and just play with it, but I don't mark my line because I simply just don't care about how much line I can cast when I am actually fishing.
    If I fished salt water it would be different, but I fish the Rocky Mountain rivers.

If your going to worry about something, worry about accuracy. Now I don't know where you live, or what you intend to fish for, so maybe all this I have said was just a waste, but when I see a fish rise, I look at the surrounding water & make my judgement call whether I can cast to it from where I stand, or move to a better spot & cast from there.
    Distance & seeing how far you can cast to see if you can keep line control, I have been there. So I get it. Its fun. But presentation is way more important than distance. And by doing this, it'll help your form.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

6. Likes karstopo liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12