What Didn't You Buy Today?

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Somewhat contrary to another thread .... here's one for the 'almost rans', those who bid but were beaten, who saw but did not seize.
Ebay, junk yard, yard sale, shop ..... what have you seen and what have you lost?

Today I did not buy a J. Ryall No. 10 reel, one of only 21 made for David Norwich, a British independent rod maker of some repute in the U.K.
It was on eBay and I bid what I felt it was worth to me - and it was worth more to someone else.
Good on them. I hope they fish it and enjoy it. I've two Tioga No. 10s I'm very fond of and fancy a Teton and/or Ryall when the price is right, but not, apparently, today.

So, here's my question. What would you consider a good price for this reel?

Granted, Ryall's are more readily available in the States and the Norwich tag may carry no weight but, if you wanted one what would you have bid?

Current Exchange rate is £1 to $1.35 so my £95 bid = $126.

flytie09

Reaction score
I'd go maybe as high as $175 on the Ryall....

I didn't buy a 600 gr Airflo Rage Compact floating line today... instead I got the 540 gr Airflo hover/intermediate..... does this count?

ft09

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Sure it does, flytie09 - but why the change in decision (from Floating to Int)?

I think $175 is still fair for the Ryall. If I was a collector rather than a user I might have gone higher but with two Tiogas already it would have been a vanity purchase for me. A nice one, though!

plecain

Reaction score
A couple of heavy (12-14 wt.) Sage RPLx rods, both listed as unused.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I took a pass on an Abel 9/10n and opted for a Teton 9-11 instead.......I would do the 175 on the Ryall Lewis and I would put it into service too.

flytie09

Reaction score
Lewis... I have a few reasons I opted for the 540 Hover/Intermediate Airflo Rage Com[act over the same full floating series.

1) I plan to use more traditional Spey patterns in the coming years.....so I'm opening up to Scandi heads vs Skagit heads
2) 600 gr is outside the grain window for my rods
3) The Rage is a Scandi/Skagit hybrid that has gotten very good reviews.
4) This year up on a Great Lake trib..... someone came up to me at a well known hole while I was taking a break. He asked politely if he could fish the hole and promptly caught a nice 8# steelhead while tight lining a spey fly. This was in record high water conditions. I had only had a head shake earlier that day. We started chatting and sure enough I knew this man (from the internet), knew of his fly that bares his name, and he was nice enough to let me cast his set up. He was using an Airflo Rage Hover/Intermediate line. It's hard to argue w/ success.
5) I think the Hover/Intermediate will allow me to get a little lower in the water column and be able to slow down the swing. I'm not looking to dredge... but I think it's imperative to be at a place in the water column where fish will respond. On swift water....I can swing all day 6" from the surface w/ a floating line .... or I can change it up and use an intermediate w/ the same polyleader or 10' of T-10 and get another 8-10" lower. In big/high water I think this is pretty important for fall/winter steelheading on the Great Lakes to move your presentation within the water column where they see it and where they will be willing to chase it.

ft09

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
A class answer, ft09, many thanks and good luck to you!
I don't know if it is the same with your quarry but we say here of the Atlantic salmon that it will only come up for a fly, not down, so it's essential not to present too deeply. I guess if fish are feeding, though, it'd be a different matter.

It's curious but Airflo floating lines used to have a terrible reputation for line memory in the UK. I don't know if it's still true, or ever was true Stateside? There other lines seem well respected, though.

Yeah, eastfly66. I guess I started the thread because I know I shoulda-coulda gone higher, especially for one of only 21 sold. And, yes, I would have fished it too. I really liked the woodwork on the spool cap and handle. Hey-ho. There'll be another along soon enough, I'm sure. :eek:

flytie09

Reaction score
I've not seen line memory in the Airflo products I'm using. I have several of their Skagit Compact lines and they're great. They float high, they are very durable, have great loops, have very good markings on them and come in a handy little plastic ziplock pouch w/ grommets. The only downside is Rio is king in the US. The Airflo Rage Compact Hover and Hover/Intermediates are only available in the European market.......so they are expensive on their own right and require additional shipping for us in the US.

I've not had the fortune of catching an Atlantic yet.... but I understand them to be more aggressive and move farther for a swung fly vs a Steelhead. Our Great Lakes Steelhead are not "wild"....like their West Coast cousins. I understand that a hatchery raised Steelhead is even less prone to chase a swung fly. Plus these fish get worked over hard...... in a 13 mile stretch of water, there could be a gauntlet of hundreds of anglers any given day. Using logic...... you have a smaller window of the water column to work your fly in to trigger a strike vs an Atlantic or even a wild steelhead. The flexibility of having an intermediate line helps me to get my fly dialed into that window of the water column and control the speed of the swing better.

But again.....I'm fairly new to 2-hand rod/swung fly game. But this has been my experience with nymphs and streamers on my single hander.

ft09

boisker

Reaction score
I didnt buy an 8’4” 3w GS.... I was feeling rough and nearly succumbed as an expensive ‘pick me up’...
It’s only a deferred purchase, but I need to wait until the NY:p

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Funny, but I was going to start a thread with the exact same title, but a different theme: the theme would be thing that has been haunting you, that you think about before falling asleep at night, and then again in the morning when you wake up; that has been the center of your obsession, but you know you don't need, have no good reason to buy, and can't come up with even a half-a** justification to buy; and each day you somehow manage not to pull trigger and put it in the shopping basket. Or is that just me?

brownbass

Reaction score
I didn't buy anything yesterday. I Spent some time at the tying bench and realized I needed some scud hooks and beads. So today I will buy some stuff.

Bill

c web

Reaction score
Fenwick Eagle on sale for $31. Only had a 6 weight that I didn't need but probably should have bought it for a backup/loaner.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm not looking for anything so I guess I can't say I didn't buy anything but it does feel oddly gratifying to just delete the 6-8 "black Friday" emails per hour I'm getting without even the slightest inclination to open them and take a peak.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Scott Meridian. The Tidal #9 was returned, so now I either exchange it for the #8 or upgrade to the Meridian. Can't seem to pull the trigger on the Meridian. Never spent that much on a rod. I have enough rewards points to cover the extra cost, but still... is it worth it?

jspfishing

Reaction score
Scott Meridian. The Tidal #9 was returned, so now I either exchange it for the #8 or upgrade to the Meridian. Can't seem to pull the trigger on the Meridian. Never spent that much on a rod. I have enough rewards points to cover the extra cost, but still... is it worth it?
Maybe. There’s a bunch of variables that will determine if it’s worth it. If it gets you outside more doing something you love and brings you a lot of happiness then probably yes, it’s worth it. It will probably last forever. Skill level doesn’t really matter that much. But it does make a difference to utilize all the good attributes of the rod by being experienced which I’m assuming you are. If not, and you can afford it still do it. It’s all for the love of the sport and being outdoors.

brownbass

Reaction score
I think if your going to use it,and it sounds like you will. You have the points you should get the Meridian. It will probably be the rod you turn to most often and you know it will do the job each and every time.

Bill

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I think if your going to use it,and it sounds like you will. You have the points you should get the Meridian. It will probably be the rod you turn to most often and you know it will do the job each and every time.

Bill
The Scott would be primarily a flats rod, and ever since fishing the flats at Bahia Honda a few months ago, and then more recently Biscayne Bay, I've wanted a dedicated flats rod and to get back down to those places. I will probably use my Loomis Shortstix most, since it is the one I use from the kayak, and I use my kayak more than I wade flats. But while I have a couple mid-priced rods, I have no premium rod, and I appreciate the build quality of the ones I have seen (Meridian, Helios, NRX, SALT, SKY, etc). Of those rods, after casting some of them, researching it (a LOT), and talking with the owner of the local fly shop who knows my casting style, the Meridian seems like the best rod for me. I got a little burned buying a Sage Motive, which I ended up at first not liking much but now beginning to appreciate more, and I am concerned about "buyer's remorse." On the other hand, I have had no buyer's remorse with the Loomis, which is on the same price level as the Sage. I have seen and handled the Meridian, but never cast one; however, the Tidal was very enjoyable to cast, and by all accounts, the Meridian will be even more so. I'm just a bit A-R/OCD when it comes to buying anything new. It is just my pathology...LOL! I will get over it, no doubt buy the Meridian, and love it. Stayed tuned for a review...