Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rod Length

1. Default Rod Length

I have buying a TFO Pro pretty soon as my first fly rod and was wondering about fly rod length. I know that 9' is the norm but with the streams i fish would a 8' 6'' be better. I fish in Pennsylvania, streams are Spring Creek, Bald Eagle, Black Moshannon. But with 6 mile run up there that is very tight and woody i was thinking a little smaller rod would be good.

2. Default Re: Rod Length

Nine foot rods are indeed something of a standard, because they cast and mend long distances, but in graphite are still light enough for all-day use. However, many smaller streams and fly presentation situations are better covered with shorter rods. I prefer 8 1/2' rods for dry fly work even in the open, because they save energy over the course of a day. When the trees and bushes gather close, rods as short as six feet are practical. My current favorite small-stream rod is 7 1/2'

Default Re: Rod Length

Yup, 9ft is the norm...though it seams that when you get to the 9wts or bigger and in a saltwater rod you end up with a longer rod. As well as going to smaller wts like 1 or 2, they are much shorter. All the 1 2 and 3wts I've seen have been in that 7ft range.
    <*))))>< Fish with teeth ... If I ty it a fish will hit it

Blog Entries

When I lived outside Philly i use an 8' 3 wt and a 7' 6" 7 wt. The shorter rods were great for working your way through the brush on the small creeks. Unless you are going to be on big open water some of the time I would recommend choosing a shorter rod.

Now that I live out west I use my 9' rods all the time. Bigger fish and bigger water call for longer rods. Every now and then I find a small creek where I can bring out the short rods. But most of my time is spent with my long ones.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

5. Default Re: Rod Length

Fishing every stream with the same rod is like trying trying to play every hole on a golf course with the same club.

A nine footer will be too long for some applications and a seven footer will be too short for others. Being rod length has little, if anything to do with casting distance and everything to do with mending and line control I would select a rod that is best for the waters you fish regularly and not the ones you might fish. An 8 1/2' would probably fit your streams and give you something still usable on smaller water.

If you can go for two rods, go with a 7 1/2' and an 8 1/2' or 9'.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Sounds like you would be more comfortable with an 8.5" rod, go for it.
    It will do anything a 9' will & probably be more practical for the Eastern
    waters you fish. If you get on a large river it will right at home. I'm with N'Mac prefer 8.5' for dries on any river.

I agree with Joe D in that it really takes more than one rod to meet all the obstacles a person could run into in various fishing situations. I usually fish in different states and encounter many different situations. I will take with me several rods which I feel will work in the areas I will be visiting. The type of fishing I will be doing will also determine the rod(s) choice.
    Also, longer rods can be a benefit if you are doing more short cast and or reaching. When in small stream situations with little casting room, and I am going to cast, I may use a shorter rod or change my casting stroke. If you are going to try one rod, buy the rod you can handle the best. I think most people would agree that the purchase of one rod is usually the beginning of filling your golf opps I mean rod bag.