Trout by a Hair

silver creek

Reaction score
I posted a link to a free fly tying manual a couple of days ago and the comments led me to reminisce about the various journeys a fly fishing life can take. According to Tom Whiting of Whiting Hackle, only 10-15% of fly fishers tie their own flies. I would wager that even fewer build their own rods. When I started fly fishing, I could not afford to buy a Fenwick HMG for myself and my wife so I bought 2 blanks and built the rods. There is a sense of accomplishment in catching a fish on a fly you tied with a rod you built yourself. But that pales in comparison to the fellow I am about to introduce, Norm Crisp.

It is a long read but if you are game for it, Norm tell the story of how he caught a trout on a horse hair tippet just like Isaac Walton.

Trout by a Hair

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Silver
That was a great story, thanks for sharing.
What made it more interesting for me is that I have fished the Encampment river and the Hog Park section when I lived in Laramie, but I never caught anything big in Hog Park, but it was fun none the less.

mka

Reaction score
Fun read...imagine how good his day would have been if he had used two horse hairs?

philly

Reaction score
Another blast from the for me, Silver. It was good to read it again. I don't think I ever met Norm. I don't remember ever meeting him at any of NECs or the other claves I attended.