Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Using the Short Short Head or Bermuda Shorts with TCX,TCR, and Method

I use it for salt flats exclusively in wind conditions 10 plus kts for quick shots with TCX 10 wt, TCR 10wt, and Method 11 wt. Its 22-24 head carries a head weight slightly heavier than a 30 feet spec AFT but not the plus two or three of RIOs OB short with 30 foot head.
    As I am not a powerful caster, shoulder issues, and my stroke is short and not the reach back long stroke and the "usual" wind distance is 50 to 60 feet with 15 feet of flyline out the tip and one cycle I can make the cast. However, I cannot carry 50-60 feet of this flyline(feels overloaded for me) false casting to get 70 to 80 foot cast in a light breeze with this line. I can pickup for a recast with the TCX 10, 50-60 feet of this line.
    If under 10 kts which is rare in KW I'll use the 35 to 40 heads at or above(50% AFT) and carry more line false casting to achieve those longer casts. If it's blowing 15-20 I cannot get a 40 foot head and standard grain weight 30 feet line with sufficient line out the tip to load my TCX/TCR/Method about 50 feet of flyline; whereas with the Shorts it's 24 feet of flyline and loaded.
    As a practical matter I cannot pick up bonefish or permit subsurface in wind chop/glare more than 70-80 feet...maybe my new cataract lenses will improve that.
    As for freshwater Michigan rivers and streams, without much wind, I use regular SA trout heads for the RPL+ and TXL-F.

2. Default Re: Using the Short Short Head or Bermuda Shorts with TCX,TCR, and Method

Most of my flats fishing is done in moderate winds (about 10knots) so anything except directly into the wind is relatively comfortable. Because my T and T rods tend to be true to weight and happiest at that 50-70ft mark, 90% of the time my line choice will be a true to weight/ half weight heavier line like the Rio Permit taper or the SA bonefish and Tarpon tapers I’ll be using on my next trip in January.

I will always take a more agressive taper with me like the SA saltwater titan (I think it’s a full 2 weights heavier) just in case the wind is up and I’m having to fish into it. The T and T does not like arealising much of this line outside of the tip but it’s great for short sharp punches.

As for seeing fish, I’m OK on bonefish but it takes a day or two to get my bonefish goggles working and even if I can’t see the fish I can see water displacement. Individual Permit I could tread on and not see them subsurface. Luckily my guides have young, trained eyes.

Regards,

Trevor
    Last edited by camelbrass; 12-09-2017 at 04:26 AM.