Where in a multi-nymph rig do you place the "squirmy wormy?"

bucky86

Reaction score
Just moved to Colorado and got skunked my first time out.

I'm going to try it again this weekend, but this time I'm bringing along some squirmy wormies.

Where in a 2 nymph rig would you place them? Bottom? Top?

Probably pair it with a RS2.

Thanks!

djb_88

Reaction score
I like to throw the worm as the top nymph and my RS2’s or midges or whatever on the bottom. I actually tie that rig up pretty often. I’ve never tried the other way tho, so that could work just as good I can’t say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevind62

Reaction score
The squirmy worm sinks a little faster so I usually place it first. Though I usually fish a 3 fly rig. Lets the midges drift a little higher off the bottom. When I tie my worm on the hook I always go well in to the bend of the hook. I think this helps it not hang up so much. Also gives the worm a little more bend for a more "squirmy" look.

Bigfly

Reaction score
In American style high sticking or bobbering....it's the physics of the cast that I worry about. (Especially with beginners.)
On a roll cast or overhand cast I want my heaviest fly on top and descending in weight.
The casts will roll out better this way with far fewer tangles.
If I rig Euro style, the heavy weight is on the bottom. but it's only a lob cast involved....
So if I rig American style, a weightless worm would work as the bottom fly.
Here, to fish Euro style, I would tye a heavy weight worm as the bottom fly (Not sold in stores.) or a lite worm up above.
and a heavy fly maybe a Skupin on the bottom.
In roiled water, a worm can be floated almost anywhere in the water column, in clearer, slow water, a worm would be found very near the bottom, if at all. Let the conditions determine how you rig.

Jim

Last edited:

zjory

Reaction score
Where are you fishing? In my local Colorado waters, a worm would not be in my top 5 choices this time of year.

S

smcnearn

Heavy on top going to smaller on the bottom.

2nd zjory’s question. What water are you targeting? The RS2 is much more time of year appropriate. I also love a good poisontung in Black size 20-22...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevind62

Reaction score
My above comment was strictly where I prefer the location in the set in the conditions I fish. But I'm in agreement with zjory. Just came from a two week fishing trip from the Rockies. I had SJW's on my rig the first few days with no takers whatsoever. Ditched them and just ran nymphs. Hare's ears, jubilee baetis, and RS2's for the most part, with a micro scud now and then. And an occasional egg. The Browns were just getting started and their spawn and in CO the Kokanee were hitting their peak so the eggs worked fairly well in those areas. I'm guessing the browns are still in spawn but the Kokanee should be finished.

bucky86

Reaction score
Where are you fishing? In my local Colorado waters, a worm would not be in my top 5 choices this time of year.
South Boulder Creek

A guide I met and a few people in the fly shop all mentioned it...

kevind62

Reaction score
One more thing for this time of the season, the most productive for me on the nymphs were size 20 & 22 with the exception of the RS2's. Tied those on a #18 straight eye. And forgot one more, WD40's. Caught a few fish on those in dun color on #20.

zjory

Reaction score
South Boulder Creek

A guide I met and a few people in the fly shop all mentioned it...
That’s my area. Not that a worm won’t catch fish, but small midges are always better for me this time of year. A black size 20 tungsten zebra midge has been great for me all along the front range the last month. Pulled quite a few in on 18-20 Higas SOS. Small Griffith gnats can also be great on warmer days. And don’t forget to strip an olive streamer through deeper holes right now, fish have stayed active with the unusually warm weather.

Bigfly

Reaction score
On the Truckee as I mentioned, we get a flush of pushy water twice a year....that stirs the worms up.....and that in turn moves fish.
I fish midges and Baetis here all winter and weary of the little bugs by spring, so when I can, I fish other stuff.
I fish the menu, whatever is being served......
We use local tied flies mostly, instead of store bought, and very little bling compared to my fishing in CO.
Here the fish think small is safe mostly.....but they do like a feed when they can.
When the flows come down in a few weeks, I will down-size for sure.

Jim

irideaduck

Reaction score
I fished the Middle Provo today for two hours on a new section that I had never fished before, landed four (4) on the bubblegum squimmy and one (1) on a size 16 frenchie. Arrived at that set-up due to some beta I received at Fly Fish Food store the day before. I had the squimmy (on a tag) as the point fly and the frenchie as the dropper, both weighted with Tungsten. I tried other flies including a size 20 zebra midge with no action.

Last edited:

irideaduck

Reaction score
Got out on the Middle Provo on Dec 28th and 29th, for about 2.5 hrs each day catching the nicest part of the day. Caught three on the 28th and four on the 29th, all on a red squirmy wormy. What I discovered is I need to tie this in different weights, as the heavier weighted squirmy was out producing the size smaller tung beaded tie. I also tried zebra variations, a SOS, frenchie's, perdigon's, blowtourch, red dart, shop vac, rainbow warrior, and a few other random flies. Looking back at my boxes of flies, there are other midge patterns that I could have tried but didn't.

dylar

Reaction score
I don't fish a point fly to catch fish on the point fly, I fish a point fly as an attractor and as a sexy splitshot. It's there to drag a little nymph down to the bottom and draw eyes. If you're catching your fish on the point fly, you should cut off the dropper anyway.

jonbo

Reaction score
Yeah, I've done well before with a midge or RS2 with a bright worm or other attractor on point.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
That’s my area. Not that a worm won’t catch fish, but small midges are always better for me this time of year. A black size 20 tungsten zebra midge has been great for me all along the front range the last month. Pulled quite a few in on 18-20 Higas SOS. Small Griffith gnats can also be great on warmer days. And don’t forget to strip an olive streamer through deeper holes right now, fish have stayed active with the unusually warm weather.
My area as well sometimes, and I agree 100% with what zjory has suggested. Follow his advice, because there is no need for me to add anything else.

blogflyfish

Reaction score
Depends on where the fish are.

If it's a typical winter day and the fish are hugging the bottom, my anchor fly is on the dropper tag, so that both flies hug the bottom.

If some fish are higher in the water column and/or bugs are starting to get active, my anchor fly is on the terminal end and I'll put an emerger/pupa on the dropper tag so that the latter rides higher in the water column.

346xp

Reaction score
DEPENDS ON HOW SERIOUS YOU ARE ABOUT CATCHING FISH.......
If your wanting to get technical, a squirmy was developed as a weighted fly, it immediately won a Gold medal, and is best used weighted with a matching tungsten bead.
That being said it still is buoyant because of the worm material. Single nymphet near the bottom is great.
If your using a heavy point fly then a small worm up high in fast water works well to get triggered strikes from fish out in a feeding lane.

If your wanting to fish the worm as point put a 4mm tungsten bead on it and hang a midge or pt of of it, but Im talking about modern euro nymphing. If your adding shot to the line good luck.

Under an indicator fish it by its self or on point. One of the few times I will ever throw a bobber is in a big slack pool, when using a squirmy. The bobber will cost you 50% of the strikes if your not very tight on the fly.