Betcha never broke a rod like this before....

ia_trouter

Reaction score
My own fault like most rod breaks, but listen to this one.....

So I am in the man cave straightening up and playing with some fly gear today. I decide I am going to play with my St Croix Legend so I put the reel on and string it up. Then I realize I should finish cleaning my room up like I planned and play tomorrow instead. So I break the four piece rod down into two pieces, reel and line still installed and lay it carefully in the corner, behind an aquarium where it would be safe for sure. Nope.... just now I got the vacuum cleaner out. I get about 6ft away from the rod with the vacuum cleaner and the rod starts flying towards me. Room was sorta dark but obviously the tippet/leader was laying in the middle of the room. Wrapped around the roller and the Hoover sucked it up and badly shredded the tip section of the rod in two seconds. :(

boisker

Reaction score
Ouch...
Not sure breaking a rod whilst hoovering deserves any sympathy though....
If you will do housework:p

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Ouch...
Not sure breaking a rod whilst hoovering deserves any sympathy though....
If you will do housework:p
C'mon man, everybody knows no girls are allowed in the mancave. :)

I definitely found a few stray hooks on the floor so it's probably best. And trust me it was due for a vacuuming. I do rug shampooing too lol. :) Some dust bunnies on the ceiling too but they aren't hurting anybody up there so I'll get them some other day lol.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
First spey rod .. Mom vacuuming .. not good. A four piece rod was now six.

Mom crying ... MOM crying ,, Called Sage and had a new one in my post box less than a week. First Rod was #1 off their production line.

'Your Mom did what???'

"God, My Mom would love your Mom."

Four of us at lunch .. he ..I, just looked at each other ... roll eyes .... we were just there to pay the bill.:shades: they were 'best friends' for many years ...

Good, all good.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Am curious as to why you have carpet in the man cave? I prefer concrete with a hole in the wall holding a two liter coke bottle for a urinal.

Dave

ia_trouter

Reaction score
First spey rod .. Mom vacuuming .. not good. A four piece rod was now six.

Mom crying ... MOM crying ,, Called Sage and had a new one in my post box less than a week.

'Your Mom did what???'

"God, My Mom would love your Mom."

Four of us at lunch .. he .. We, just looked at each other ... we were just there to pay the bill.:shades:

fae
Good all good.
St Croix doesn't have a no-fault/idiot proof free replacement warranty but they will fix it for a reasonable price. They will also give me just about full retail trade-in for my busted rod towards anything more expensive. At least they used to do that. I'll check my options. It's not like I am out of 5WTs so maybe I could get something more useful after Christmas expenses are over. Worth considering I think because my rod isn't worth anything now so a trade-in might make more sense. Water is about to get hard here so I have time.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Am curious as to why you have carpet in the man cave? I prefer concrete with a hole in the wall holding a two liter coke bottle for a urinal.

Dave
A very fair question Dave. :) That's the garage, or ManCave II. (Wifey won't clean out there either?). I planted about 75 spruce, pine and fir trees when we built 20 years ago so I can pee where ever I want now. Coke bottles no longer necessary. No fly gear in ManCave II though I spray paint cars some and destroyed some things with over spray before I figured nothing valuable lives out there other than 50's Ford truck and DragStang.

Fly2bTied

Reaction score
Reminds me of a time years ago I was fishing off the front of a pontoon boat with a bow mounted trolling motor. I lost concentration for a moment (family onboard), next thing I know I feel the line getting yanked in by the propeller and in a split second the tip of my G-Loomis Streamdance was in pieces. Had an audience to boot...

pnc

Reaction score
Lol ........ Sad, but funny. Only us that have broken a bunch get to laugh. One of my older 8w's is on it's 4th or 5th tip. Not sure anymore.

......... pc

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Lol ........ Sad, but funny. Only us that have broken a bunch get to laugh. One of my older 8w's is on it's 4th or 5th tip. Not sure anymore.

......... pc
It won't do any good to be sad so I have to laugh instead. I wish I had Video of my face when evil spirits grabbed one of my best rods from behind an aquarium and threw it into the jaws of the Hoover. :) I watched my father destroy rods for 30 years from pure neglect. I own 30 year old $29.99 Bass Pro spinning rods I cared for like they were actually expensive. I put the St Croix behind an aquarium! This just isn't fair lol. :)

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Bummer dude, well now you have excuse to buy a new one. :)

I’m sure it has warranty though, but she doesn’t know that.

pnc

Reaction score
It won't do any good to be sad so I have to laugh instead. I wish I had Video of my face when evil spirits grabbed one of my best rods from behind an aquarium and threw it into the jaws of the Hoover. :) I watched my father destroy rods for 30 years from pure neglect. I own 30 year old $29.99 Bass Pro spinning rods I cared for like they were actually expensive. I put the St Croix behind an aquarium! This just isn't fair lol. :)
I know the feeling..... drove 1200 miles last year, and broke rod 5 mins after getting out of car. Would have been first use. Stand there with dumb look on face..... Noooooo.

........ pc

JoJer

Reaction score
I lucked into a dream trip for my son and -Guided 2 day trip on the Salmon to catch fish & implant tracking gizmos. Brand new TFO 6 wt, never got wet. Snapped the tip off stepping over the side of the boat first day. Left me the choice of an under-lined 8 wt or an over lined 4 wt. How long ago? When I called about replacing it, I talked to the pres on the phone.
Broke that replacement tip a couple of years ago, coming off the river here in town during a winter outing. Somewhere between reeling in after my last cast, and the next time I got the rod out of the caddy, the tip was gone and was never found.

lonm

Reaction score
I see youve seen my remodel.:D

Dave
Feel your pain man,
Sucks breakin rods, I got 3 need sent in...grr

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I, too, am a member of the Muppet Angling Club, ia_trouter. Exactly the same minus the man cave. Mine was 'only' a 9 1/2 ft Shakespeare IMX President, 6/7 wt., the centenary edition from '96/'97 but it was/is a rod I love. Tidying up, I rested the two sections against a wall. Didn't see the trailing leader - sluuuupppp - Snap!

Originally it retailed at over £300 ($400+). I bought my first for £220/$295 in '97 (more than I'd ever paid before for a rod) and fished it happily for fifteen years. Happily enough, in fact, to have bought up others on eBay - the last in '12 for only $31!
I don't know if this model retailed in the States? It has a carbon-black, unvarnished blank with burgundy wraps, not the older, yellow-wrapped President. The cork and the rosewood insert are nothing special but the whole is soft enough at the tip to lift gently into a fresh sea trout's delicate mouth and yet has enough backbone to bully a 10 lb salmon - maybe more, I don't know yet! ;)

So, commiserations to my fellow members of the M.A.C. I know your pain at that terrible moment of no return.