Having more than one of the same rod...

Riverfishr

Reaction score
New guy and new to fly fishing. Does anyone else have 2 or more of the same rod (same model, weight and length) just because you like it so much? I tell myself it's a back up, or a backup to the backup.

karstopo

Reaction score
Yes, 2 7/8 weight Cabelas CGRs. I had another, but gave it as sort of a gift or trade for something kind done for my daughter.

When I go out in my Commander kayak, I’ll have 3 rods most of the time strung and ready. And most of the time, I’ve got two 7/8 CGRs aboard. The way the kayak is set up I just strip on top of the rods not in use. They serve as a sort of stripping pad and help to keep the line from piling in one spot.

Why would I have two identical rods with me? I know how they cast, I like how they cast, I can do things I can’t do with my fast graphite rods. I’ll put a different pattern on each rod and be able to quickly shift over to re-tie.

The 7/8 CGR is good on the lake for catfish and bass, it’s good on the bay and in the marsh for redfish and others. And it’s easy on the wallet.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have some rods that are the same model, same weight but not the same length and some that are the same size, same weight, different model but no duplicates of any particular rod. But if you really like the rod and are afraid you will not be able to find another when the time comes to replace it then why not. I have heard lots of guys lamenting about a favorite rod that got broken and is out of production now. I think most people do not buy duplicates due to long warranties and there is always something better coming out.

Regards,

Tim C.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I don’t, but a doctor who haunted the same spring creek in Idaho when I lived there had multiple Sage RPL 9’ 4 weights. I don’t k now how many he had, but he describe it to me as a “closet full.”

He had no interest in ever fishing another rod and wanted to make sure he would never run out. He only fished streams for trout and almost always a dry fly or maybe an emerger. And he was very good at what he chose to do.

Don

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
New guy and new to fly fishing. Does anyone else have 2 or more of the same rod (same model, weight and length) just because you like it so much? I tell myself it's a back up, or a backup to the backup.
Yup I do. First love the rod(s); one loaded with a full floater the other a sink tip. As I go along will shift from one to the other as needed.
fae

dryfter

Reaction score
I also have two identical rods. One rigged for dries and one for nymphs. Usually when I am in the drift boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

kevind62

Reaction score
For me, it's a waste of money to have two of the same. All mine are different. I have only one 4wt, only one 5wt, only one 6wt, only one 7wt, and only one 8wt. Then I have only one 4/5 wt, only one 5/6 wt, only one 6/7 wt, and only one 7/8 wt. It would just seem foolish to have duplicates. At least that's the explanation I gave to spousal unit. :D

patrick62

Reaction score
Through no fault of my own I wound up with three older Orvis Rocky Mountain 8'3" 7 weight rods. I bought one myself on eBay and then inherited the other two, sort of. Why my late cousin bought two of them I don't know.

It's kind of an oddball rod.

If anyone wants to buy one I'll listen.

pnc

Reaction score
Duplicate rods no. 1/2 duplicates yes. In case I ever break other piece. Non-warranty.
Expensive stuff comes with warranties.
Before I start stockpiling. I'll see a shrink, or write a book.

....... pc

jzim

Reaction score
I'm a minimalist. I have three rods. 4wt for trout, 6wt for bass, and 8wt for steelhead fishing. I'd rather have another wt than a double of what I already have.

wjlapier

Reaction score
I understand this line of thinking. I fish the same river most of the time and all I really need is a 7-8' 3/4wt rod. It seems the Winston Nexus 8' 4wt is about as perfect a rod for my fishing that I've thought about having several backups. Especially after taking a fall after tripping on a rock. Landed in some soft high grass on the rod. The rod survived.

I don’t, but a doctor who haunted the same spring creek in Idaho when I lived there had multiple Sage RPL 9’ 4 weights. I don’t k now how many he had, but he describe it to me as a “closet full.”

He had no interest in ever fishing another rod and wanted to make sure he would never run out. He only fished streams for trout and almost always a dry fly or maybe an emerger. And he was very good at what he chose to do.

Don

lightline

Reaction score
Guilty as charged. I have identical Sage LL's in several configurations, including one that's unfished.:eek: Also have a couple of duplicate custom glass rods I built myself. Figured I loved the first one so much, might as well have a back-up. I don't break many rods, but when I have, its always been a favorite. Its a problem, but a problem I can afford and live with, at more ease knowing there's a reserve in the bullpen. Peace of mind. Its worth it to me. Just like having too many flies . . .

plecain

Reaction score
The only exact duplicate I have is the Eagle Claw Black Eagle 8'6" 5 wt. I bought eight of them at Walmart for $20 each. I have six left. Gave one away; broke one (my fault).

For 'almost' duplicates I have two:

Sage ZXL 8' 2 wt. I have a factory rod and one I built from a blank.
Same with the Sage TXL 7'10" 00 wt. One factory rod and one custom from a blank.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As I rarely eliminate a rod from my accumulation I have many but no identical twins. I empathies with the logic of, "I love it...what happens when they ae gone and I break mine, I want reserves." My experience ahs taken me down an alterative trail. Just for example, though I fish 9'/#5's more, I have a passion for 8 1/2'/#4's and the spring and meadow creek places I fish them in. I'm unclear about the first rod of this configuration I ever got but the first one I truly thought was great was Loomis's 2 pc. GLX. Before they were discontinued though, 3 pc. Nti "Nano" came along and it was better and then Albright EXS and an Orvis prototype that was never produced. Hardy's Zenith was my rod for a while but something about it prompted me to upgrade to Loomis Streamdance GLX a refined, modernized version of my 1st. GLX. But then Sage's ONE 8 1/2'/#4 joined my kit and all but erased my memory of the others. There have been some duds along the way, Winston's BIIx was too limp and another good looking offering liked a line I didn't want to fish. The point of my experience to me is; I may love a rod and I do, many, but next year a new one will be introduced that is superior in multiple ways.

Except for the Streamdance GLX which gets some spot duty mostly on modest sized Catskill streams, brilliant, magical ONE reigns supreme when I visit Silver Creek and other technical western spring creeks with the rest of my collection languishing in their dark tubes. But what will IFTD 2018 and beyond reveal...eventual, carefully cleaned and dry, this great ONE will retire to it matt black aluminum tube and a new work of rod design genius will grace my kit.

So, what I've learned, and I try to cast every contender, is rod design, technology and fabrication never stands still and somewhere a rod designer is working on my next favorite fly rod.

Bigfly

Reaction score
"So, what I've learned, and I try to cast every contender, is rod design, technology and fabrication never stands still and somewhere a rod designer is working on my next favorite fly rod."

Exactly........

S&S ....I hate to ask if you've tried the X yet? Yet another sweet stick....Sage has no mercy...
I get two of each new rod for my clients to test drive. Then, when Sage comes out of with the next "new one", I sell one older rod, and roll that money into the next new rod. I end up with one of each generation, going back quite a few generations....all 5wts.
This helps when teaching a group of casters.....
One day I drove my LL next to an X for giggles......not even in the same universe, and there was a time I thought a rod could not cast any better. Which is why I kept it...... The LL seemed very soft by comparison to the X, which seemed like a tack hammer power-wise. I can overdrive the LL, but I haven't squeezed everything out of the X yet. Not exactly comparing apples and apples....
Don't think I'm really getting any better physically as a caster at this point, but the X helped find me some more.
Sage is happy, clients are happy, and I'm happy........

Jim

Last edited:

el jefe

Reaction score
The only exact duplicate I have is the Eagle Claw Black Eagle 8'6" 5 wt. I bought eight of them at Walmart for $20 each. I have six left. Gave one away; broke one (my fault).

For 'almost' duplicates I have two:

Sage ZXL 8' 2 wt. I have a factory rod and one I built from a blank.
Same with the Sage TXL 7'10" 00 wt. One factory rod and one custom from a blank.
If there were a rod of which I would have a duplicate, the ZXL 280-4 is it. I might even go for triplicate, on that one.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Bigfly, I have cast 4 X's, 9'/#5 & 6 and 8 1/2'/#4 & 5 and gotten one...the 8 1/2'/#5 and love it. I recently commented in a thread about Yellowstone Anglers offering custom built LLs on original blanks that, impressive as LL was in its day, X blows it away today. I have not cast heavier size Xs or new Salt HD but will next month.

My first Sage was a 1986 9'/#5 RPL and, with the notable exception of XP and now X, have owned every flagship Sage in that size since through ONE. As I wrote above about shorter 4-weights, it is remarkably informative how much rods improve with each subsequent generation. We only realize this if we continuously sample the new releases. With the departing exception of Z-Axis, a unique rod in Sage's lineage, there is a clear, continuous evolutionary trend through their flagship models.