Very cool, ....and very pricey

audax

Reaction score
Reminds me somewhat of the more costly LOOP seatrout and salmon models of the early 90s.

silver creek

Reaction score
Too expensive for a drag less click pawl reel. It is basically a cool looking palming rim reel. A Classic Orvis CFO would be my choice. If a heavier line size click pawl reel was needed, I'd get an Orvis Batenkill III and save over $300.

One reason to buy a click pawl reel is the sound. I'l like to hear the reel scream and it better be good!

Last edited:

pnc

Reaction score
Whoa...... how much are these things ? From sales pitch and schematics I was just looking at.......... "Hubless" is questionable. Looks like hub is part of frame.

........ pc

don_p

Reaction score
Lol, I'd never buy one. I just thought it was pretty cool looking. Reminded me of the hubless chopper Billy Lane designed and built years ago.

myt1

Reaction score
Very cool, but they lost me when I saw it was click and prawl. I just haven't drank that Kool-aid yet. I don't see the attraction.

myt1

Reaction score
Very cool, but they lost me when I saw it was click and prawl. I just haven't drank that Kool-aid yet. I don't see the attraction.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Definitely cool and a few steps beyond practical. A nice gift for the flyfisher that already has everything...provided you are comfortable parting with that kind of scratch. A future collector's item perhaps?

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Might be neat to look at, but not practical in my pack. I am much to hard on my gear to have a reel that looks pretty. I buy gear to work well, not look good. But it is interesting nonetheless.

knotjoe

Reaction score
What do you think?
I think they are trying to find a unique niche in the market. Caught one of April Vokey's podcasts with Carl McNeil awhile back and recall them discussing some issues pertaining to the tackle market.

He's a glass guy IIRC and it looks like they've got a line-up on product to round it out and make all it work. Nifty reel albeit a bit on the expensive side for what it is.

If you listen to podcasts, check it out as it's rather interesting. I thought they were going to make some spinning rods as well to get numbers right, but I don't see any in the product listing. Guess they went with a new reel design instead...cool.

I do wonder about grit and water retention in the design, it's a lot of surface area in there and might be tough to keep clean. Sturdy, but what when dirty?

(a question I always ask about outdoor equipment)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
At less than half the price one can get a hubless TFO Atoll with an outboard (for larger sweep area), sealed, stacked drag that I have personally tested on little tuna and it is solid and smooth in addition to having a ton of stopping power.

TFO Atoll-fly-reels.jpg