What Was Your Very Best Experience of 2017 Season?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to post one of these threads every year right about now, it's been a few years but I'll give it a whirl again. Do feel free to post up anything that strikes you as out of the ordinary that you experienced this past season.

Stuff happens to us when we are out fishing, sometimes while we're on the way to a destination, sometimes it's people we meet while on trips, an act of kindness or..... the ever popular fantastic day or weeks fishing.

Me, oh I could bore you with stories about spending way too much time working on that cabin while I shoulda been fishing. Or I could mention the day that Nancy and I were on the way home from out there and ran into a literal wall of silver salmon on their way into the mouth of the creek that leads away from the cabin. There were no pictures and honestly the thought never came to mind to take any. I had came to a stop right at the confluence where the creek meets the big river and we were just watching a few salmon roll and jump when............. I spotted what looked like a very large wake like would be created by a big boat. The thing about this wake was there was just one wave pushing upstream in the river and angling toward the mouth of the creek.

When I spotted it coming I said something to the effect of 'Look at this!' and then it was into the little estuary just that quick. There were so many salmon coming all at once that they were the cause of what I guesstimate was a 1 1/2 foot high bulge or wave being pushed up the river. The came in so fast that maybe 75 or so ran aground on the sand bar right at the mouth of the creek. Those fish were flopping and sliding back toward and into the water while all around us (we were sitting in the boat with no rods rigged up) the water was exploding with silver salmon launching some as high as 2 feet out of the water. It was right about then that I said, "I think we should rig some rods and fish a while".

I pulled the boat over to the sand bar and ran the bow up so it'd stick and got busy opening tubes and fly boxes. In an effort to save time I rigged just one rod, a 11 foot six inch Hardy Swift and handed it to Nancy. She did the wife thing and tried to give it back saying I should fish and she'd rig another rod............ I wasn't going to have that, there were way too many fish and I knew she would get one right off if she'd make a cast, she did and she did :cool: She kept at it until we had selected three really nice bright and big males then I took the rod. In the time it took for her to get those three males I'd have to guess that she caught maybe a dozen fish, some hens some small males. She also foul hooked a few, that's how many fish were swarming the creek, you were going to foul hook them just by casting a fly in the area where the river current met the creek. It was crazy!

Could it get any better? She hands me the rod and I'm going to launch a fly out into the river because it looks like there are way more thrashing around out there when................. Look at this! here comes not one but 2 more waves and it starts all over again. Fish beaching themselves, flying straight up into the air, the water doing what you could accurately call 'boiling' with salmon, incredible! I've seen things like that out on Kodiak ten years ago and on tidewaters over in the Bristol Bay but never here where our cabin is at.

I caught quite a few of them myself and we selected 2 more really nice males then I broke down the rod and we headed for home which is a 3 1/2 hour boat ride from out there. I think it was around 3:30 PM when I had stopped to watch a few fish jump and roll as we were leaving and it was going on 8 PM when I put the throttle on in the river and we headed downstream. Funny how the time slipped away. The good news was that we had a large cooler that was empty but for a couple blocks of ice with us. It wasn't planned, we had no idea it would turn out that we would get a few salmon that day but it all worked out. I'd have to say that was the most unusual day on the water this year, and when there are a bunch of fish like that it turns my wife into an excited kid and that was fun to watch. She is self conscious about casting fly rods (especially Spey rods) because she can't do it as easily as I can. That's why she tried to pawn the rod back at me when I rigged it and handed it to her. But once that first one was on the hook she didn't worry about whether it was a good cast or a not so good one, she was having a ball.

I do get a charge outta seeing someone who doesn't get a lot of chances to do it catch a salmon.

Other than that I managed to catch a few steelhead trout and got a lot of work done, spring is on the way and I'll be ready when the ice goes out. I hope everyone who has bothered to read this has a really great season in 2018 and remember, Keep em Wet ;)

Last edited:

chechem

Reaction score
Thanks, Ard. You're living the dream! Thanks for your posts.

I had an excellent year, spending more than half the summer in the Yellowstone NP area. Fished all the rivers inside the park, plus may days on Hebgen Lake and elsewhere. Great season.

Maybe the best memory was when a bear swam past my boat on Hebgen; within casting distance. It swam the width of Madison Arm (half a mile?). Quite a sight! Heading back there this year; spending the summer again.

flav

Reaction score
My very best experience this year didn't involve the most or the biggest fish of the year, or even the best fishing, it was just a spur of the moment decision where I tossed a rod in the car just in case and all the stars aligned.
My wife wanted me to check out the venue for our daughter's wedding, which was perched on the rim of the canyon overlooking my local river. I had a couple hours, and I'd heared there was a trail down to the river at this place, so I tossed a rod in my car. I had a vintage reel I'd just picked up and put a new line on, plus I had a couple experimental flies I was eager to try. It was a warm and cloudy April day and I figured blue wing olives would be hatching, and maybe some March browns.
After checking the venue out I found the trail down to the river, and it was surprisingly short and easy. When I reached the river I found trout rising in every good looking seam and pool, and both blue wings and March browns hatching. My flies worked well, the new line cast great, and I got to hear the unexpectedly sweet sound of that old reel when several nice fish tried to show me how fast and far they could run. What a nice way to spend a couple hours on a new piece of water just 15 minutes from home.

coug

Reaction score
I had not fished the Lochsa much even though it is my own backyard. I usually spend several weeks camped out on another river in the area. Friends and I floated it in our pontoons this summer and I realized I need to hit it more often. Spent the day swinging soft hackles and catching native cutthroats while floating through some fantastic scenery.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I didn't do enough cold water fishing this year. The warmwater fishing is closer and luckily was quite outstanding most of the season. I live near a newish lake (impoundment) that is clearly peaking for crappie right now. I also missed the spring migrations to the shallows and thought I had squandered a season, but I went out a few times when it got hot out and the water too warm for great fishing. For weeks during midsummer it didn't matter much what you did, you would catch fish, and lots of them. If you stayed until dark the water would absolutely boil around the boat and it was 98% crappie. It's been 20 years since I have seen a crappie bite even half as good. It continued for weeks. I returned often because I know it may never happen like this again. A fish landed on virtually every cast, day after day, just doesn't happen that often here during the dog days of summer.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
surviving this storm :eek:

When I took the picture, it was just interesting looking weather that was moving in. (notice the mountain on the left, hidden behind the curtain of rain)
But with-in 2 minutes there were white caps breaking over me in my float tube and we were far better off than folks in their canoes, like the one you can see in the distance.
2 canoes made it back to the launch area and we let them beach before us as we were in no danger of actually swamping.
For them it was quite hairy
After the storm had passed, we went looking for that canoe in the distance, to see if they needed help.
Fortunately they had found shelter on the lee side of an island.

hambone111

Reaction score
My best experience of 2017 was a move that brought me back home and allowed me to start fishing again after a near 10 year hiatus.

Digging 20 yr old gear out of what was basically a time capsule from the early 2000's when my career and being in my mid 20's took over and i stopped fishing and moved out to Chicago.

Logging over 45 days on the water from March to December this year.

Finding new water, tying flies again. buying a little bit of new gear. switching from trout to smallmouth bass as a primary target species.

being super motivated over the off season to tie like its my job and fill boxes with flies.

spending winter days off hiking/fishing new river sections to scout out for next year. building a rotation of rivers to fish as the seasons change and water rises and drops.

and we are all of like 6 weeks worth of time from being back on the water and expecting results.

:fishing: :cool: :wiggle: :wiggle:

darkshadow

Reaction score
Anytime I had the chance to wet a line was a very good experience, but the best would probably be getting into some big rainbows on the Madison in late September during my trip to Yellowstone.

Catching personal best after personal best was quite the rush, especially with all the planning that took place throughout the year to make the vacation a success.

charliepff

Reaction score
IMG_1421.jpg

This was one of the few times I was out with the fly rod this year. It was an interesting year and I called a time out due to needed a stress break to go out this day. Originally I was suppose to meet up with someone, but. he could not make it. I fished all day by myself. It was very peaceful. I pulled fish from areas people just fished. It was a good day and probably the best this year. I did spend a lot of time out for bass on the kayak with the pup, but this was the best day by far.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, these threads bring out some good stuff don't they :) From moves back to our roots, bears swimming past as you fish, fantastic vacations, and a good hard storm thrown in just for fun. The fish on every cast day is always memorable too, those come every now and then.

2018 here will be a wait and see thing just like each year now. Will there be something remarkable or will I be searching for a single fish, time will tell. Right now my boat is wrapped and stored behind the shop building, the Mokais are inside and the snowmachines are parked at the north end of the house. It's a brisk zero outside (be careful what you wish for) but we are still starved for some snow. Once new years day passes I'm going to the cabin for a while, snow or not.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I don't have as much fun as you guys, but for me the memory of this past season was the day I finally put it together in the area that I fish, Wisconsin's Driftless Area.

I've fished it for a few years, and although I'm a competent fly fisher, not a great one, and my luck was spottier than I thought it should be. I only get up there 4-5 times a year from Chicago, and I know from my experience back home in Oregon fishing for salmon, that time on the river makes me a better fisherman. I hadn't been able to get that time in here.

Last September, I went up for a weekend, and finally, all of the things I'd been learning about the area started coming together - where to cast, what to use, how much weight is needed, etc. I fished three streams and did very well on all three, catching about 20 all day including a 17-inch Brown that was my best fish up there so far (there are much, much bigger ones there!). To prove to myself that it was no fluke, I went up at the close of the season and did just as well.

For me, that is an accomplishment. I cut my flyfishing teeth on Oregon's north coastal streams, particularly both forks of the Nehalem River. Not a legendary trout stream, really no north coast streams are - they are mostly anadromous rivers. But there are resident cutthroat on them. I had fished them for so long I could reasonably expect to catch and release a lot of trout, no size to them except when the searuns entered the system. I also fished many of the waters draining Mt St. Helens and Mount Baker, classic mountain freestone streams, for rainbow trout and the occasional bull trout - my favorite water is the North Fork Lewis River above the three dams, in the last 30 miles of free flowing water.

But those rivers are much different than the spring creeks of the Driftless. It took me some time to figure out how to change my tactics. The locals, although nice guys, tend to be pretty tight lipped about locations with "foreigners" like me, so I had to find good water on my own. By good water, I mean water that is fishable that is not necessarily visible from a nearby road, and that has access. I had two moments that helped me - first, one of the locals gave me a tip on a not-often-used location on a popular river, and second, I girded my loins and knocked on a farmer's door asking permission to traverse their land to get to another popular river (The farmer graciously gave permission.

I went to the first of those rivers, where I had received the tip, and found a wonderful piece of stream hugging a steep hill for a half mile. Lots of bends in the river, undercut banks, and deep pools. I had tied some Pink Squirrels (the go-to fly there) with beads meant for a larger fly, because I knew I was not getting the fly deep enough. That was a success, and I got into Browns and the occasional brookie right away. At one point, there was a small island, with a deeply undercut bank on my side. I tossed the fly in, and two big shapes came out from under the overhang and took swipes at it, but I missed both. I travelled down to a big pool at the end of a long riffle - not super common on these meandering streams. I had a couple hits on the Pink Squirrel, but nothing big, so I pulled out a stonefly nymph I'd received as a bonus on a purchase of some other flies. I caught six trout in six casts with that one, so I was quite happy. I started back upstream, and put that stonefly into the slot where I'd missed the two trout from the undercut. A lucky perfect cast and the bigger of the two was on! One of the better fights of my fishing career, especially since he really wanted to return to the undercut and the snags there, but I finally netted and released a lovely 16 inch brown.

The next day I visited the farm. Most of the land in the area is private, but the state DNR has done a super job in getting easements for fishermen. I didn't see such an easement when I rounded a bend and saw a lovely stretch of river next to this dairy farm. I decided it was now or never to ask a farmer for access, and, as I said, I got it. I caught a great 16-incher literally as close to the farmhouse as possible, and working my way upstream, did very well, again, keeping it deeper than I had done in the past. A couple of brookies were in the mix, as well.

Lastly, as the weather started closing in, I went to another piece of the same stream, a couple miles north/upstream, that I'd fished in the past. Mist was turning into steady rain. I think the patter of rain on the surface made me less visible to the trout. Right where I first access the stream, it takes a 90-degree bend, and I always get a strike, and always miss, a nice trout there. Same thing this time. Next year! I worked my way to a nice riffle, maybe 30 inches deep and pretty strong current; I had tied on a Muddler with a weight about 10" in front to get it down (I'd learned my lesson) and caught two decent trout. About halfway down this riffle, I hooked into something that was definitely nicer. He was another strong fighter, and I pulled in a 17" brown, best fish in my Driftless career. I think I caught 5 or 6 more before darkness set in.

All in all, a great day on the river. As usual, I didn't think of: work, paying for my kids' college tuition, politics, or anything else. That kind of stuff gets turned off when I hit the stream, and at the end of the day I feel like I've had a mental massage. Best part was that, a month later on the last day of the season, on different streams, I was able to repeat the tactics that had been successful, and were again successful. More than the number of trout caught was the satisfaction that I was past the steep part of the learning curve.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with fishing. Really, it has nothing to do with me personally.

My son, who is not an athlete really at all started wrestling in his freshman year of high school. His first year of wrestling he never even scored a point. The matches were done before they got started.

His sophomore year was the same, but he was having fun and making friends. To us, that was what its all about.

His junior year, no difference. I though was starting to question it all. I was thinking by then he should at least be getting better, but no, for three years he never won a match. But he was still having lots of fun, never did he miss a practice and tried to help other new comers to the sport. I was still proud of the young man we raised.

Now he is a senior. And during summer break he went to wrestling practice when it started. Him and maybe two others went to summer practice. If anything, he is determined to stick it out. I figured by this time he would just give up, but no, he is committed to stick it out.

The first Saturday tournament that came a few weeks ago, he won his first match by points.

To make this clear on why this is so special for my wife & I is this; when the referee raised his hand for the first time, we got to see a smile on his face that was nothing like we had ever seen. He was as surprised as the rest of us.

To just see his face light up with joy and confidence as well, was my highlight of 2017. You only get one first win, the rest are nice, but not as special.

He is 5' 11" and weighs in at 218. His last match he pinned his opponent who was 6' 2" and weighed in at 260.

So there's a lesson for all of you new to fly fishing. Don't give up if you're having trouble. Have fun no matter what, keep trying, and it will soon start to come together.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
My best experience for 2017 was fishing arizona's frye mesa gila trout fishery. There's nothing better than catching wild trout on dries in january. Except maybe catching twenty on dries in january. That was a fun trip. In march mike (mka) came to arizona and we fished frye mesa together. Mike caught his first gila trout there.

I couldn't know these last two trips will probably be my last time to frye mesa. Summer fire devastated the area and the creeks. Such a unique fishery to be gone so soon. It took four years to establish the fishery and it only lasted three years. By the time the fishery opens again I may be too old to fish there.

DSCF0968.jpg

e9f.jpg

1695.jpg

0983.jpg

mka

Reaction score
Steve, you beat me to it...fishing up on the Frye Mesa and catching my first Gila Trout was my highlight of 2017. Heck, just getting up there on top of the mesa was an accomplishment for me...I was scared to death I would meet another vehicle on that skinny one lane road and have to back down on a winding road off of the mountain (whewwww)! JeepsterII was an awesome guide up on that mesa...thanks so much, Steve!!!

Steve and I also had fall trip that is another highlight of mine up on my favorite New Mexico stream. Never thought I would get tired of catching fish:) Perfect weather, fishing with bamboo...what could be better!

My favorite camping trip was up in the Valle Vidal with my wife and two other couples...actually went twice over the summer. We caught native Rio Grande Trout, slept like babies, and ate like royalty. Fun, fun, fun!!! It was a fabulous year for trout fishing!

ptarmigan

Reaction score
It's too hard to boil it down to one best experience when you have kids. The first was an early summer trip up to the Denali Highway with my wife, kids, and my visiting parents. We had great weather and the fishing was fantastic. Grayling fishing is one of the best ways to start a kid with a flyrod.

The other was my son taking his first big game animal. Hunting is another passion of mine and my kids love it too. I learned real quick that catching fish or taking game is not the only indicator of success when taking your kids. Spending quality time outdoors with them and watching them grow is my biggest reward.

dillon

Reaction score
2017 was a weird fishing year. I usually enjoy fishing for wild winter steelhead on several of the numerous rivers near my home in the beautiful northwest. However, unusual severe weather and river conditions totally eliminated my winter fishing this year. Then the wet spring and the birth of my first beautiful grandchild cancelled all but a few trips.

The best fishing experiences this year were those that provided good fishing in total solitude. A few days sharing a couple miles of a blue ribbon trout stream with only my longtime fishing buddy and a few cows, was a real treat, inspite of rather uneventful fishing and poor conditions the rest of the trip.

I also had a great week of steelhead fishing in solitude in the fall. A very small run of Columbia river summer steelhead left my home water devoid of fish and other anglers for most of the season. However, we hit one lucky week and I had the best few days of fishing in memory. We were the only one fishing the road near my cabin and then spent a day with a (required) guide alone on the Indian reservation a few miles upstream. On the road, a buddy who is a good steelheader, landed his first on my river in the run I selected for the morning fishing. He gave me some credit, but the best part is I don't have to listen to him whine anymore about not being able to catch a steelhead on the easiest river in the state.

If you fish enough you're bound to have some good days, no matter how bad the conditions and reports are. Anyways, fishing trips are is not all about the catching, are they?

Last edited:

npike

Reaction score
After some huge life lows, I was lost. My soul was empty and I was near absolute defeat.

I opened an old box of photos, oh the lost loves...and then the trout, and bonefish, and the memories of being a part of nature and the feeling of a full, satisfied soul.

I hadn't picked up a fly rod in 17 years.

I found this forum and read every post, and I was even more inspired.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

I ditched the old 2WD SUV and bought a 4WD truck, gave away everything I owned but the necessary clothing and moved (back) to Montana. Been exactly a year now.

I have fished most of my favorite water from days past, but my paradise is the Missouri. I make the 2+ hour drive at least twice a week and fish dries only to rising fish even in January.

I can tell you stories of frenzied summer pods, of 22" trout running dead upstream into the backing, and of blustery winter days where not a fish rose and not a cast was made.

But my soul is full again. Thank you all for the inspiration.

Attachments

brownbass

Reaction score
We had a flooding across the southern part of Missouri this year, in fact, record flooding. My favorite river is also home to one of the largest hatcheries in the state and the hatchery got flooded and released over 100,000 trout into the river. After the water receded, which took some time because it didn't seem like it would stop raining. The fishing was unbelievable all summer long. I fished terrestrials all summer with a new 4 weight Sage. And in the fall the great fishing continued on top until the frost slowed things a bit. But still, the fish are biting. What a great year.

Bill

pnc

Reaction score
Hope this works, last didn't. Forum in helter skelter mode.
What stands out from previous year. Was getting kids involved with tying. This at several demonstrations, nautical fairs, marine festivals.

If this takes I'll edit in morn.........pc

What stood out this year came from joining SFF club. Fished freshwater for first time since being in Florida. Which lead to first alligator on a fly. Won Carl Hanson Award & took big fish for year in several species at club events (redfish was only one taken at club events trough year).
Also caught biggest baracuda ever. With near perfect cast....lol. Wind aided, .....gust took line right so hard had me grabbing for line going through stripping guide. When fly landed, it seemed to explode. Had no idea fish was there.
Fish or fishing paled in comparison to tying flies with kids. One particular instance stands out. Had 4 grown men crying from smiling so hard.
A little girl of about 5 yrs. Wearing a pink sundress & pink Mickey Mouse sun glasses. Wandered up (big brother & parents close behind) and stood in front of vise with pink sea trout fly. Asked if she would like to make one. Eyebrows popped up from behind the glasses. "She's shy" said the mother. Well after a couple of flies, her expression never changing. And eyebrows popping up every time she wound thread or chenille, or picking out colors (pink of course). The 4 of us there to tie flies were smiling from ear to ear with tears running down faces.
It was one of those priceless moments that will transcend years. A lot of unfruitfull time through the years became worth every second in one afternoon.

........ pc

Last edited: