Cortland Customer Service.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know I've got a Cortland Brook Series 10'4wt rod,I've posted a review and recommended it several times on the forum for it's a great deal and a really pleasant rod to use.Unfortunately I fell down a few weeks ago and broke the butt section.I contacted Tom Brown from the customer service who did a great job,they sent me a new section and only charged me with the shipping back.So thanks a lot and.... hats off!:thumbsup::)
thanks also to our member Burk who's a Cortland rep for his help:thumbsup:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Jean-Paul,

That's great to hear and good to know.

And thanks for posting this -- companies that stand behind their products-- and excel at providing service to their customers deserve recognition.

Hat's off to Cortland, Tom Brown and Burk!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am glad to hear that Cortland is taking care of their rod customers.

I bought a Cortland PE+ Crystal line and it had several problems with the finish on the line. I sent an Email to Cortland and described the problems but I never received a reply. It could be the Email went to the wrong place but Burke told how to send an Email to Cortland. Not the type of support I expected on one of there premium lines. I think they are a good company and made a mistake in my case.

Frank

racine

Reaction score
Frank, Let us know how that PE+ Crystal line works out for you would ya?

I bought a Cortland 4/5 HS2000 something rod almost 20 years ago that lost it's grip. I asked Cortland if they could repair it( sentimental reasons mostly) and they sent me a new and better trout rod instead. How do you beat that?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
JP,

You fell down! :doh: This is the first I've heard of this. I hope you are alright and was wondering were you wearing felt or rubber soles when this happened? :D:D

Naughty to the Bone, [poke]

Ard

wee hooker

Reaction score
I have a Cortland Cl that is a favorite. Snapped it one day and cortland cheerfully replaced teh section even though the rod was pre-lifetime warranty! Now that's service..

FWIW, Despite having rods of much greater cost, I'm a big fan of the CL, BigSky and Brook series. Just a great all round company IMHO

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JP,

You fell down! :doh: This is the first I've heard of this. I hope you are alright and was wondering were you wearing felt or rubber soles when this happened? :D:D

Naughty to the Bone, [poke]

Ard
Dear Ard...I was wearing felt soles:secret:but they were of no use in that case:Dwe were walking back to the car among big rocks...I was in the lead:pand as my friend JM has a problem with a hip,I looked back to check if he could follow me...so didn't see where I was putting my feet and came a memorable cropper:eek::DI've noticed that I fall less often than when I was young...I'm not a daredevil anymore;)

bkstuder

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Cortland retro reel for a new 6wt fiberglass rod I am building (Swift Epic 686). I have narrowed down my choices to Redington drift and the Cortland Retro. There is allot more information concerning the Redington. I like the lifetime warranty. Redington seems to be trying to make a push into the fly fishing industry as a legitimate competitor - which means we get to enjoy quality products from a company who cares without paying extra for the name. Just my observation. I could be wrong. Cortland has a nice looking reel (Retro) but I can't find much information on it. I am not finding where Cortland even has their reels on their website. Am I missing something? I think my decision will come down to Warranty and customer service. Anyone know more than me about these two companies and their reels?

itchmesir

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Cortland retro reel for a new 6wt fiberglass rod I am building (Swift Epic 686). I have narrowed down my choices to Redington drift and the Cortland Retro. There is allot more information concerning the Redington. I like the lifetime warranty. Redington seems to be trying to make a push into the fly fishing industry as a legitimate competitor - which means we get to enjoy quality products from a company who cares without paying extra for the name. Just my observation. I could be wrong. Cortland has a nice looking reel (Retro) but I can't find much information on it. I am not finding where Cortland even has their reels on their website. Am I missing something? I think my decision will come down to Warranty and customer service. Anyone know more than me about these two companies and their reels?
The drift is an amazing reel. Great looks and does a fine job of holding line. The Orvis bettenkill is also in the same price range. I've seen the Retro but cannot find anything on them as well. They look really nice. LL Bean pocketwater is really nice as well.

“You can’t waste your life making money, and then go back and try to buy your life back.”

boomslang

Reaction score
I have received nothing but great customer service from cortland. I am glad that you got your rod back. That is a nice nymphing rod.