Your car, does it fit 9' rod under headliner?

vpsihop1

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple different beater SUV/wagons.

Going to keep all my fish stuff in there just about year round.

Want to be able to keep 3-4 rods fully rigged across the headliner roof area front to back.

What are you driving and how do you make this work?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

don_p

Reaction score
........Want to be able to keep 3-4 rods fully rigged across the headliner roof area front to back.......
Why? It doesn't take that much time to fit them together. They're easier to store / transport and you're less likely to break something. Never quite understood the urgency.
I drive a full size pickup with a cap on the bed and I still break them down to two pieces.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Not along the headliner. If you want no carry over to the front/windshield area, Id imagine youll be stuck with suburban/excursion size vehicles. One of my buddies has an Expedition which is a fairly large vehicle, but still not big enough for headliner only.
If you dont mindna little bend in the rod and having the tip gonin to the cab, almost anything will work. Both my current Jeep XJ, and even my old 2 door civic, could carry my 10 footers fully rigged.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

vpsihop1

Reaction score
Why? It doesn't take that much time to fit them together. They're easier to store / transport and you're less likely to break something. Never quite understood the urgency.
I drive a full size pickup with a cap on the bed and I still break them down to two pieces.
Been in a couple cars that were able to do this. Really liked the convenience of it. Less about the time it takes for me, I like just throwing the rod in the car and pulling it out rigged. Right now I just run it from the trunk down the center console of my VW. Rods are in he way. If I'm fishing a few days in a row, and changing spots 2-3 times that's alot of re rigging.

vpsihop1

Reaction score
Not along the headliner. If you want no carry over to the front/windshield area, Id imagine youll be stuck with suburban/excursion size vehicles. One of my buddies has an Expedition which is a fairly large vehicle, but still not big enough for headliner only.
If you dont mindna little bend in the rod and having the tip gonin to the cab, almost anything will work. Both my current Jeep XJ, and even my old 2 door civic, could carry my 10 footers fully rigged.

No alittle bend is fine! How'd you stick them up there?

Reaction score
GMC Sierra pickup with topper. Sliding window in pickup and topper. Plastic boot between cab and topper to keep rain out. Just don't forget about rods and close the (power) window in the cab.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
No alittle bend is fine! How'd you stick them up there?

With the civic, the back seats folded down. Just fed it in from the trunk, the reel end would go drivers side, tip end passenger side against the windshield on the dash. Jeep is just a box, so it sits the same way. Dont HAVE to fold down the seats on that one, but I do. I actually leave the seats folded down on the Jeep 24/7, Im the only driver, so dont really care.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I do not do this very often but it works well:

In my 1996 Pathfinder I put a cooler next to the tailgate with a non-skid pad on top. The top of the cooler is about the same height as the rear seat in upright position. I run a small bungee or rope between the headrests on the front and rear seats to keep the rods from falling in the gap between the seats. when getting ready to move I just open the back window and stick the rod in laying the reel end on the cooler/non skid pad and the tip end near the dash and close the back window.
Note: I only do this when I am moving to various spots on a river that borders a road or occasionally when going from the campsite to the river.

Regards,

Tim C.

silver creek

Reaction score
Going from spot to spot on the Madison, my assembled 4 pc 10 ft GLX will fit in my Honda Odyssey. When not fishing, I keep it in a dual DB Dunn rod/reel case in 2 pcs. It looks like the case below except it will fit two 10 ft rods and it red. There are a lot of rod cases that will hold two pc 9 ft rods but not many were built to fit 10 ft rods. I got the case from Dan Baumgartner who owned DBDunn.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
One of the 'good things' about my old Jeep Liberty is the whole thing is made out of steel (you pay for that in poor gas mileage!). DUEL MAG rod holders really work; the spread between the bottom to top one is enough (and they're wide enough) that other than 'tip wiggle' on my spey rods rare for me to even break one down

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
In Dillon's Chevy Tahoe, using a ceiling mounted multi-rod rack, the rods are straight but come right up to the rear view mirror. Obviously, its Suburban sibling has a longer roof. Rods fit straight right down the middle of my VW Passat Wagon 9with split rear seat 1/2 folded) but are between the front seats, fine for moving from access to access but not for permanent set ups.

pnc

Reaction score
Just a FYI, I can put a 9' rod in my 350z. Wanted to once. Always have rods (cased) in car.
Question for those leaving rods assembled. Are ferrules first treated with something ? Or maybe rod just left as is forever ?
I once left a rod assembled for a month. Rinsed after every use. Removed reel to clean line then would reinstall on rod. Was on water so wanted a rod ready to go. If I ever do it again, it will be a one piece rod.
Getting 2 piece apart was a task. Ended up sandwiching rod in ice and pouring hot water on female ferrule. Sort of an act of desperation after 2 months of pulling.

..... pc

el jefe

Reaction score
In Dillon's Chevy Tahoe, using a ceiling mounted multi-rod rack, the rods are straight but come right up to the rear view mirror. Obviously, its Suburban sibling has a longer roof. Rods fit straight right down the middle of my VW Passat Wagon 9with split rear seat 1/2 folded) but are between the front seats, fine for moving from access to access but not for permanent set ups.
Suburban for the win, with a RodLoft Pro rack to hang them along the ceiling.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with the first reply from Don P. I've been breaking rods down and putting them in tubes since the late 1970's when I got my first rod that came with a tube. Since then I have broke one rod and that happened when I transported without it in the tube. Putting a rod together and stringing them up has becomes as much a part of fishing for me as casting or catching. However we are not all alike and I wish you luck in the search.

When I am fishing along the road system and move from place to place I have a rod carrier that fits to the hood and roof. That gets me through the days and if I have a Motel room I sometimes just take them in rigged then start over the next day. I do transport them in my boat fully rigged but they are vertical in a rack. Still you must watch out for low tree limbs because they are long rods.

el jefe

Reaction score
Rod loft pro looks awesome

I really like mine. It has several ways to attach it, but the one I like the best is the one that fits over the hanger hooks or grab handles, so those need to be in the right place in your vehicle. I distrust suction cups on windows. They work nicely, and people can still sit in the car, too, as long as they're not too tall, and they're not prone to stretching inside the vehicle.

jayr

Reaction score
I can fit a 9' rod in my Acura MDX. I made a rack that sits velcroed to the rear seat and I use bungee cords where the hooks are for the cargo net at the very rear. It cost me about $10 to make and works well.

philly

Reaction score
About the only time I keep my rods rigged is if I'm moving from one fishing spot to another. I've a 2016 Rogue and I'll lay my rod(s) on the back cargo cover on the passenger side, throw my vest over the reel end on the cover. My 9' rod fits without a problem. I've owned several Pathfinders. I think I rigged one with rod holders on the roof rack when I was doing a lot of surf fishing.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have a Toyota Sienna van. Using just a couple of PVC pipes and some foam pipe insulation I made a carrying rack just below the ceiling (I snap the ends of the tubes over those little fold-down coat hanger hooks that seem to be in most cars these days). I can carry a whole bunch of rods with the reels on (including fly rods and big surfcasting rods); I use gardener's tape (basically a weak Velcro) to keep them from bouncing around. And at the same time I can transport a stack of 4x8 sheet goods and a pile of 10-foot 2x4s, with everything protected from the elements and sticky fingers. I have not found a more practical vehicle.

flats

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple different beater SUV/wagons.

Going to keep all my fish stuff in there just about year round.

Want to be able to keep 3-4 rods fully rigged across the headliner roof area front to back.

What are you driving and how do you make this work?

2010 LX570, 9.5 ft. rod and it fits from back tail gate to top of windshield