Line question- New, mid-grade offering or older premium on closeout?

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Hey all.

Would you rather buy a new cheap line from Rio or SA, or an older premium line from these guys on closeout? I'm trying to decide between the Rio Mainstream Saltwater line and a closeout Sage Equator II line, which as I understand was made by Rio and is a pretty direct comparison to their premium offering?

Just getting back into saltwater fly fishing. I grew up doing every type of fishing and free diving possible in the Bahamas, and used to spend many a summer afternoon walking around deserted islands looking for bones. Now, after falling in love with fly fishing again in the rockies and being back in fl twiddling my thumbs, I realize I'm missing out on so much opportunity to fly fish here. Looking for a good all-around line that's not $100.

el jefe

Reaction score
I prefer the premium closeouts. The differences from one year to the next range from new packaging, to new materials in the line, but typically average incremental improvements, and often only small ones at that. Consider this: How many of us bought premium lines a few years ago, and still fish those? They are still premium lines.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The issue is, old lines like the Sage Equator which was discontinued years ago sit there in their box slowly deteriorating. But you don't have to spend a $100 to get an excellent tropical saltwater line. SA Mastery Bonefish or Cortland All Purpose Tropical are first rate lines that I personally use that are in the $70ish range.

bluechipfish

Reaction score
The issue is, old lines like the Sage Equator which was discontinued years ago sit there in their box slowly deteriorating. But you don't have to spend a $100 to get an excellent tropical saltwater line. SA Mastery Bonefish or Cortland All Purpose Tropical are first rate lines that I personally use that are in the $70ish range.
$28 is still better than $70! This begs the question- how fast will fly lines actually degrade? Also- while I have a captive audience on line here, what does everyone think of clear tip fly lines? As someone who's coming from years of sail fishing with long fluorocarbon leaders.. this looks attractive

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
$28 is still better than $70! This begs the question- how fast will fly lines actually degrade? Thanks for your reply!
This question came up on the forum once before:

How long does a fly line last?

BTW, I also prefer closeout premium vs retail new.

PS - As a runner (before I took up barefoot running, but that is a long story), I was always frustrated by the fact that once you find a shoe that you really like, it is inevitably discontinued within a year or two. A friend of mine took to buying 3 or 4 pairs at a time. I was told that the reason for this is that the running magazines don't write reviews or recommendations of "old" shoes, so the companies need to keep coming up with something new to stay in the press. Whether that is true or not I do not know, but I wonder if the same phenomenon affects fishing and other equipment-intensive sports and hobbies.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The first Sage Equator was made by SA more than 10 years ago and then a new version was supplied by RIO, also long gone. Had you bought one new and stored it in a cool dark place away from UV and other detrimental to plastic wave lengths, it likely would still be OK. However, if it is setting out on a peg board at a Sierra Trading Post or similar for some time, maybe not as good. When I go fishing for bonefish, I spend a lot of time and money getting there the last place I want to save money is on my tackle and conch salad/fritters.

Fly lines are important and I would sooner fish an OK rod with a great line than a great rod with a dry, coily line whose plasticizers have migrated. Of course, for challenging bonefishing, I want all my tackle and rigging yo be excellent.

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll stick to newer stuff, especially because I have a few Andros trips in my future.

Any input on the clear tip lines?

pnc

Reaction score
As has been pointed out life expectancy of older lines can be a question.
Where line comes from can have a bearing on this. Some as noted hang lines on display in stores. Shops that store lines so as not exposed to light are doing you the favor. You'll see places that keep them stacked in tall narrow shelves. Something like a cd stand.

When finding boxes of line in discount bins here in Florida. One glance at box will clue you to how it was stored. Faded colors on box is the tip off. Whole box or majority fadded...... I pass. One edge or end of box fadded, ok. Box was in a stack most of the time. Also Do visual on line. If it doesn't look & feel right pass.
Where abouts in Florida did you end up ?

....... pc

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Pc, thanks for your input. I guess the consensus is that it highly depends on many factors. If a line is kept in a nice dark place, could it last 10 years in the box? I know thats subjective, but it would be cool to hear if anyone has experience with a situation like this.

I'm back home in Delray Beach where I grew up. It took a few months of working out west (and doing my best to trout fish) to reignite my fly fishing passion.. and I have it bad now. I go back out west every month, and usually have the opportunity to throw a flyrod as I keep my waders and a whole outfit out there. On the plane back last month, I was listening to the orvis podcast and Tom Rosenbauer was doing a show on snook fishing, and it hit me! Why in the world do I not have a 9wt and fish in FL? I'm missing out on so much fishery ignoring what's here right under my nose. It's not that I didn't fish in Florida, I have a boat here and go offshore a lot. Now I've caught the fly fever again though. I'm even starting to think up new ways to tease sailfish up on the kite and bait and switch them with a flyrod!