Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ow my shoulder

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ow my shoulder

What silver creek posted.

Outside of an actual diagnosis I would ask "What kind of fishing vest/pack are you wearing?".

For me, any weight on the shoulders will fatigue it while casting and make for a sore neck muscle. This is why I opt for a waist pack 80% of the time. I use a true vest that uses both shoulders the remainder of the time. When you lift your arm the neck muscle also "lifts" (pardon my medical terms). This means you are also partially lifting any weight placed on that muscle in an oddball fashion. Huge fatigue issue and will make for a sore, actually bruised, muscle. Just another thought. If it gets worse, go see the doc.
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

2. Likes mudduck liked this post
  3. Default Re: Ow my shoulder

In August of last year I retired from a 43 year practice of physical therapy, with the preponderance of my patient load being patients with musculoskeletal pain. Most of the exercises shown during this thread are useful and effective, but without a diagnosis you don't know if these exercises are the right ones for you. In general I have found that your family physician is not the best person to ask about these kinds of problems. You should seek out an orthopedic surgeon or a physical therapist. Of course, being a physical therapist myself I am somewhat prejudiced in favor of the latter. I don't know where you live, but nearly all the states now offer direct access to physical therapy without having to see a physician first. I would recommend a clinic that focuses on orthopedic cases or does a lot of sports medicine. My old clinic manager would cringe at this advice, but once you have been evaluated and started on an exercise program, I would avoid letting them set you up for a long three times weekly course of therapy. If you can discipline yourself to perform the exercise program as directed, you can save yourself a lot of money. It might be advisable to return occasionally for a followup evaluation to assess your progress. Good luck. I am 70 years old and have had my own problems with impingement syndromes in the shoulders and tendinopathies at the wrist so I can sympathize.

Larry

4. Likes kayo, photoguy, fr8dog liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by canoeman1947 View Post
    In August of last year I retired from a 43 year practice of physical therapy, with the preponderance of my patient load being patients with musculoskeletal pain...
    I was interested in your perspective on this, thanks for posting. I've put faith in my PT...for the time being anyway. I'd be less than honest if I didn't say I'm a little skeptical that PT will be beneficial in my particular case (torn rotator cuff) but am willing to give it a try as the surgical alternative is not something that I find appealing. I can't also help but feel that PT can be a little self serving with pressure to keep returning for additional visits. I get it, this is how people earn their living, I just don't want to get caught in an endless process without some concrete results.

Quote Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
    I was interested in your perspective on this, thanks for posting. I've put faith in my PT...for the time being anyway. I'd be less than honest if I didn't say I'm a little skeptical that PT will be beneficial in my particular case (torn rotator cuff) but am willing to give it a try as the surgical alternative is not something that I find appealing. I can't also help but feel that PT can be a little self serving with pressure to keep returning for additional visits. I get it, this is how people earn their living, I just don't want to get caught in an endless process without some concrete results.
    Have you learned the double haul? A lot of people associate that with saltwater, but they're wrong. Its a must learn and should be done almost all the time. On sort cast you barely even move the rod. Just ever so slight elbow movements. I learned it right away, but had an adv. class from Lefty and Ed which they to do it virtually on every cast because it makes it so effortless. Its actually hard not to do a double haul now.

For stretches, I would use a rubber workout band. Grab it palms facing down, raise your arms keeping elbows locked and posture straight. Keep going until you pass your body and end up behind you on your lower back. Then slowly bring it back trying to keep your arms as straight as possible and without arching your back. You might have to start with a really wide grip to accomplish it with perfect form. Do about 10 reps, then bring in the grip closer, repeat. After that, raise your hands so your level with your chest. Keeping good posture, pull the rubber band apart for 10-20 reps. Keep constant tension and don't arch back

7. Likes photoguy liked this post
  8. Default Re: Ow my shoulder

As I posted earlier PT was prescribed by my ortho which is part of their offices... first time range of motion for both rotators then showed me how to do the bands came back once after 4 weeks then I'm on my own that was 5 years ago....have not fallen on the ice and when I do it ...it works... I'm doing it now 'cause I am goin south in 30 days...my ortho group and their PTs are not frequent Chiros...look for the rotator cuff exercises on the net go slow and light resistance and reps say 6 or 7 work up to 10-12 and four sets before you increase resistance...it's boring as hell and you want to cut to the chase as in triple the resistance after one week don't do it...this ortho group does the two professional franchises, one big ten and high schools...but my ortho is conservative for an old fart like me...he said if you had one or two more years to vest an NFL or NBA pension I'd scope and work wonders...but you're 70 ...an old shyster who just wants to flyfish...even with a scope you would need 4 to 6 months of PT so why not try that first and don't fall on the ice again and watch your elbow keep it close to your side

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123