Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ow my shoulder

Default Re: Ow my shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by mudduck View Post
    Ive been at it for about a year now and Im starting to get sore in the shoulder/neck area. I know I put to much "arm" into my casting and Im working on that. I was wondering if any of you did any stretching or strengthening for your casting arm, and if so what do you do?
    Your complaint is rather general whereas targeted treatment requires a specific diagnosis. For example, bonefish41 mentioned the rotator cuff which could be impingement or trauma as in bonefish's case. The point being is that you don't know whether your problem a specific problem such as tendonitis, or a muscular problem, or an impingement syndrome and what the causal factor is. That means that you don't have a targeted therapy.

So then we get to general therapies. 2 Ibuprofen taken several hours before fishing and continued every 6 - 8 hours if your stomach can tolerate it for 24 hours. Ice the shoulder after fishing.

Research has shown that if you vary your casting styes during the day, you will due different muscle groups and overuse injuries will decrease. There are three main styles.

Casting styles

Overuse injuries: http://www.working-well.org/articles/pdf/Fishing.pdf

You can find Exercised Below:

Shoulder Exercises here: Shoulder Exercise Menu
    Rotator Cuff Exercises here: Rotator Cuff Exercises - familydoctor.org
    Tennis Elbow Exercises here: Nismat / Patients / Injury Evaluation & Treatment / Other Upper Body / Tennis Elbow: Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis
    Last edited by silver creek; 01-13-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

2. Thanks mudduck thanked for this post

I agree with silver creeks post. Those exercises helped me a lot. I injured my shoulder at work and I had a hard time with my fly rod with a full day on the water and I could not come close to holding my 10 ft. nymphing rod. It really bummed me out. After doing the exercises above, it helped greatly with a consult from my own doctor.

4. Likes photoguy, hairwing530 liked this post

At the risk of this becoming just another old guy with a bum shoulder thread...after a year of shoulder pain I finally got a CT scan in the fall that showed a torn rotator cuff. Not full width, but all the way through in one spot. I've been reluctant to have surgery for a variety of reasons and instead opted to try PT to see if I could strengthen the muscles around the tear. I've been doing an alternating day workout with the elastic straps and some very light weights. A little too soon to tell any results but I'm anxious to see what happens in the spring when it's time to get back to fishing.

6. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  7. Default Re: Ow my shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
    At the risk of this becoming just another old guy with a bum shoulder thread...after a year of shoulder pain I finally got a CT scan in the fall that showed a torn rotator cuff. Not full width, but all the way through in one spot. I've been reluctant to have surgery for a variety of reasons and instead opted to try PT to see if I could strengthen the muscles around the tear. I've been doing an alternating day workout with the elastic straps and some very light weights. A little too soon to tell any results but I'm anxious to see what happens in the spring when it's time to get back to fishing.
    Patience and keep at it...but move your arm to see where you are experiencing pain...and avoid going there with your casting stroke...if you have never had the pleasure of an ortho exam then you have never experienced real pain and that includes dental pain...their end points are pain...those cerebral docs of the heart don't induce a heart attack...but orthos love that end point of you yelling in pain

8. Likes hairwing530, photoguy liked this post
  9. Default Re: Ow my shoulder

Let me add orthos love pain but it's just pain and no harm...it's not like they are dislocating or your joint will explode...it's pain...I asked a reputable ortho Hopkins, Columbia and NYC Special Surgery fellowship and my client...if I don't scope or open the cuff but just PT given what you see ...is the pain going to injure me as in my arm will fall off or dislocate...no just pain ...at my age and concern for my heart which requires red wine...I'll just endure Ibuprofen and Rum, or Rye or Scotch...along with my PT and altered stroke

10. Likes hairwing530, photoguy liked this post

It's the technique off fly casting. I have shoulder injury from ice hockey. Yes exercise does help but how you cast will prevent shoulder pain.

YouTube

12. Likes hairwing530, photoguy liked this post

Believe kayo, is on right path.
    From prior posts and areas being affected. My guess is you are lifting and dropping hand. Maybe locking elbow. So arm is rotating in shoulder. Hard down pull affecting neck ?
    If I'm wrong, disregard this. If not look up Lefty Kreh's 4 step casting videos. And let us know the results.

......... pc

14. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

As I age I find that doing some basic stretching before getting in the river is helpful. I've got a modified yoga stretch that can be done in waders. I call it "The Barfing Crane."

16. Likes photoguy liked this post

If you have no health issues I would suggest picking up a good old-fashioned dumbbell. Wallyworld has them for @ $10. Ten pounds is all you need. Only takes a few minutes a day and done correctly you'll increase strength and flexibility. I use one every day. I'll never be Mr Universe but I can still wave an 8 or 9 all day.

18. Likes karstopo, photoguy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    If you have no health issues I would suggest picking up a good old-fashioned dumbbell. Wallyworld has them for @ $10. Ten pounds is all you need. Only takes a few minutes a day and done correctly you'll increase strength and flexibility. I use one every day. I'll never be Mr Universe but I can still wave an 8 or 9 all day.
    I too have been doing exercises with a series of small weights- seems to be helping.

I should add that these exercises are from my PT who seems to think that it's possible to strengthen the muscles around my rotator cuff tear and avoid a surgical solution. I'm a little bit skeptical but thought it was worth a shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast