Ow my shoulder

mudduck

Reaction score
Ive been at it for about a year now and Im starting to get sore in the shoulder/neck area. I know I put to much "arm" into my casting and Im working on that. I was wondering if any of you did any stretching or strengthening for your casting arm, and if so what do you do?

mtboiler

Reaction score
Don't know about stretches...but lighten the grip on the rod. If you are squeezing the rod to tight it tightens your entire arm and shoulder. Makes it harder to cast and wears you out sooner.

mudduck

Reaction score
Hey thats a great tip I dont think Ive heard before. Now that I think about it, I do keep a pretty firm grip on the cork.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't really have a good answer, but in my case my dog loves to play fetch so I use a chucker to throw tennis balls....a lot, maybe 200 throws per day. Sometimes it makes my shoulder sore, so I switch to the other arm, but when I go fishing it is so easy to cast as the fly rod feels so light it is effortless.

karstopo

Reaction score
This is just an idea, but try developing an off hand cast. If you cast right handed, try the left hand. For whatever reason, I found learning from the off hand side, left in my case, infinitely easier than learning from the right hand, my dominant side.

The last time I fished, I only cast left handed. I cast left, then transfer rod to my right hand. It takes a lot of the pressure off the inflamed joint. That’s why I went to the left hand initially because it really hurt my shoulder to cast right handed. Maybe I inflamed the joint from too much casting or from some other source of activity or just age.

I’m not ambidextrous. I’m not a great athlete. I’m not young. Try the offhand side if you want and you might surprise yourself. It will surely will let you rest a joint that’s acting up and keep you on the water. I’m where I’m just as good left handed as I’m am right on some days. In some ways, I’m better from the left side. From the left side, I don’t try to overpower the rod that’s a reoccurring fault of mine from the right side. Try it for a week. If it’s not for you, you will know it pretty quickly.

mudduck

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. Last time I tried left hand casting I couldnt believe how much easier it seemed to get down than it did with my right. I dont think Ill get as much distance but it certainly felt like decent mechanics and a decent presentation for just goofing about. I think Ill try it more often this year.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Many factors unknown: age, general fitness, past medical/orthopedic history, etc. Association is not synonymous with causation, and all risk factors must be considered. Also, are you spending many hours a week throwing large streamers a mile with a 10-wt rod, vs a few hours a month with dry flies at close range on a 3-wt?

That being said, I personally just do general fitness exercise, some running and weight training, nothing specific to fishing. So far, so good. Mr. karstopo, am I mistaken or didn't you once mention that you are a tennis player or tennis instructor? I would think tennis would be a superb workout for fly casting fitness. Casting wth the opposite hand is an excellent idea, and not just to rest one side. I am sure I am not the only one who has been in a situation (orientation of target water, bushes, trees, etc.) who has said to himself, "Man, this would be an easy cast with the other hand..."

karstopo

Reaction score
Many factors unknown: age, general fitness, past medical/orthopedic history, etc. Association is not synonymous with causation, and all risk factors must be considered. Also, are you spending many hours a week throwing large streamers a mile with a 10-wt rod, vs a few hours a month with dry flies at close range on a 3-wt?

That being said, I personally just do general fitness exercise, some running and weight training, nothing specific to fishing. So far, so good. Mr. karstopo, am I mistaken or didn't you once mention that you are a tennis player or tennis instructor? I would think tennis would be a superb workout for fly casting fitness. Casting wth the opposite hand is an excellent idea, and not just to rest one side. I am sure I am not the only one who has been in a situation (orientation of target water, bushes, trees, etc.) who has said to himself, "Man, this would be an easy cast with the other hand..."
I played tennis in high school and was most definitely not the star. I did help run tennis drills to adolescents, but never did any one on one instruction. I did have a pretty mean serve.

My tennis playing days appear to be over. I’ve developed a severely arthritic right hip joint and am set to have that removed and replaced by a metal and plastic one this very next Monday. But once I heal up, I look forward to many more years of fishing and walking with little pain. :)

scoutm

Reaction score

These stretches/exercises really helped my shoulder when I was having issues. They kind of felt like a waste of time to begin with but after a couple weeks of doing them regularly it made a huge difference.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I have two bad shoulders from trauma... the notorious rotator cuff... at 63 the casting shoulder became a problem because I slipped on the ice and "jamed" it and re-injuring. After considerable medical advice from shoulder orthos, particularly those who reminded me that I was 63 and you are not going to have an 18 year old shoulder post op besides you will have at least 6 months of post op PT...I opted for just PT and a change in casting style...look online for shoulder/rotator cuff PT exercises with bands...don't over do it at first...thirteen years later still no dancing with the stainless knife, saw, screw driver or hammer but still stretching the bands somewhat regularly. I think what really made the longevity difference was changing my casting stroke: 1/ no chicken wing elbow flapping keep it close to my side; 2/ no Florida Keys guide reach back long stroke i.e. when they show you how to unload 100 feet; 3/ it is essentially a close elbow to side and the old time 10- to 2+ stroke with double haul but I am casting only 20 to 60 feet of flyline then 10 of leader/tippet but for me to load my salt rods 8,9,10, and 11 Sage blanks I use short heads 24 to 30 feet sometime overlining by 1 if wind is over 10 kts. For fresh Michigan rivers 4 and 7 wt same stroke but trout steelhead lines distances are 50 feet...or less...also I am not making 100 or more blind casts with an 8wt or more during the fishing day. One or two bad strokes of lifting the elbow off my side I will feel it for the rest of the day but pain stop casting or pain and keep fishing at 75/6 I keep fishing.

silver creek

Reaction score
Ive been at it for about a year now and Im starting to get sore in the shoulder/neck area. I know I put to much "arm" into my casting and Im working on that. I was wondering if any of you did any stretching or strengthening for your casting arm, and if so what do you do?
Your complaint is rather general whereas targeted treatment requires a specific diagnosis. For example, bonefish41 mentioned the rotator cuff which could be impingement or trauma as in bonefish's case. The point being is that you don't know whether your problem a specific problem such as tendonitis, or a muscular problem, or an impingement syndrome and what the causal factor is. That means that you don't have a targeted therapy.

So then we get to general therapies. 2 Ibuprofen taken several hours before fishing and continued every 6 - 8 hours if your stomach can tolerate it for 24 hours. Ice the shoulder after fishing.

Research has shown that if you vary your casting styes during the day, you will due different muscle groups and overuse injuries will decrease. There are three main styles.

Casting styles

Overuse injuries: http://www.working-well.org/articles/pdf/Fishing.pdf

You can find Exercised Below:

Shoulder Exercises here: Shoulder Exercise Menu
Rotator Cuff Exercises here: Rotator Cuff Exercises - familydoctor.org
Tennis Elbow Exercises here: Nismat / Patients / Injury Evaluation & Treatment / Other Upper Body / Tennis Elbow: Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis

Last edited:

charliepff

Reaction score
I agree with silver creeks post. Those exercises helped me a lot. I injured my shoulder at work and I had a hard time with my fly rod with a full day on the water and I could not come close to holding my 10 ft. nymphing rod. It really bummed me out. After doing the exercises above, it helped greatly with a consult from my own doctor.

photoguy

Reaction score
At the risk of this becoming just another old guy with a bum shoulder thread...after a year of shoulder pain I finally got a CT scan in the fall that showed a torn rotator cuff. Not full width, but all the way through in one spot. I've been reluctant to have surgery for a variety of reasons and instead opted to try PT to see if I could strengthen the muscles around the tear. I've been doing an alternating day workout with the elastic straps and some very light weights. A little too soon to tell any results but I'm anxious to see what happens in the spring when it's time to get back to fishing.

bonefish41

Reaction score
At the risk of this becoming just another old guy with a bum shoulder thread...after a year of shoulder pain I finally got a CT scan in the fall that showed a torn rotator cuff. Not full width, but all the way through in one spot. I've been reluctant to have surgery for a variety of reasons and instead opted to try PT to see if I could strengthen the muscles around the tear. I've been doing an alternating day workout with the elastic straps and some very light weights. A little too soon to tell any results but I'm anxious to see what happens in the spring when it's time to get back to fishing.
Patience and keep at it...but move your arm to see where you are experiencing pain...and avoid going there with your casting stroke...if you have never had the pleasure of an ortho exam then you have never experienced real pain and that includes dental pain...their end points are pain...those cerebral docs of the heart don't induce a heart attack...but orthos love that end point of you yelling in pain

bonefish41

Reaction score
Let me add orthos love pain but it's just pain and no harm...it's not like they are dislocating or your joint will explode...it's pain...I asked a reputable ortho Hopkins, Columbia and NYC Special Surgery fellowship and my client...if I don't scope or open the cuff but just PT given what you see ...is the pain going to injure me as in my arm will fall off or dislocate...no just pain ...at my age and concern for my heart which requires red wine...I'll just endure Ibuprofen and Rum, or Rye or Scotch...along with my PT and altered stroke:)

kayo

Reaction score
It's the technique off fly casting. I have shoulder injury from ice hockey. Yes exercise does help but how you cast will prevent shoulder pain.

YouTube

pnc

Reaction score
Believe kayo, is on right path.
From prior posts and areas being affected. My guess is you are lifting and dropping hand. Maybe locking elbow. So arm is rotating in shoulder. Hard down pull affecting neck ?
If I'm wrong, disregard this. If not look up Lefty Kreh's 4 step casting videos. And let us know the results.

......... pc

patrick62

Reaction score
As I age I find that doing some basic stretching before getting in the river is helpful. I've got a modified yoga stretch that can be done in waders. I call it "The Barfing Crane."

fr8dog

Reaction score
If you have no health issues I would suggest picking up a good old-fashioned dumbbell. Wallyworld has them for @ $10. Ten pounds is all you need. Only takes a few minutes a day and done correctly you'll increase strength and flexibility. I use one every day. I'll never be Mr Universe but I can still wave an 8 or 9 all day.

photoguy

Reaction score
If you have no health issues I would suggest picking up a good old-fashioned dumbbell. Wallyworld has them for @ $10. Ten pounds is all you need. Only takes a few minutes a day and done correctly you'll increase strength and flexibility. I use one every day. I'll never be Mr Universe but I can still wave an 8 or 9 all day.
I too have been doing exercises with a series of small weights- seems to be helping.

I should add that these exercises are from my PT who seems to think that it's possible to strengthen the muscles around my rotator cuff tear and avoid a surgical solution. I'm a little bit skeptical but thought it was worth a shot.