Team Fishing

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m lucky to have great fishing buddies and I always prefer going with a friend than fishing alone.Last week Batistou and I went on a section of the Lergue and as usual we practised what we call team fishing....It means we take two rods one with a dry one with a nymph...as we wade we can take the rod we want or we think is the most suitable in turn,sometimes the one who “feels the coup” better makes it.The one who doesn’t fish tries to locate fish or rises and gives infos( cast 3ft from the bank above the first willow branch….batistou calls it “satellite guiding”)…sometimes shouts” strike” as we fish nymph on sight when the one who’s in action can’t see very well because of reflections in the water….or is dreaming which sometimes happens.Batistou who’s a very quiet guy can get very angry at times when he gets stuck in a branch or misses a big guy…he bit the handle of his rod last week:eek:…I’m here to calm the game down….and he’s here to spur me on when I’m a bit lazy:p…That’s really great fun!:icon_bigg
Video 1 Batistou landing a big chub...you may notice he's rather tall(6,5')
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VKuhRfoZAY]YouTube - herault juin 011.mov[/ame]
Video 2....releasing the same guy:D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtFg3C7N9w]YouTube - herault juin 010.mov[/ame]
Pic 1 JP landing another big guy:p

Pic2 and showing it to you:eek: but lost my head:D

madjoni

Reaction score
Nice videos and photos mate:cool::cool::cool:
I love team fishing:wiggle:
Interesting that you have chub in clear and fast river :confused:

O

okuma

That's a chub?:eek: WOW. I wish they grew that large here. Great pics:thmbup:

yatahey

Reaction score
Cool JB team fishing is a blast. On our trip to RMNP we utilized the technique. Works great when you can spot from a cliff.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a chub?:eek: WOW. I wish they grew that large here. Great pics:thmbup:
It's not rare to catch fish over 20' there are some over 25'.

Cool pic Yat...how can you land fish from up there?:rolleyes::p

Madjoni...as there are less and less trout .... they make room for chub and dace :eek:

madjoni

Reaction score
Madjoni...as there are less and less trout .... they make room for chub and dace :eek:
Uuufff:mad::(
I get it,classic europian thing...owerfished or owerpoluted water :confused::(...but still that river looks like great trout water,no place for chub there

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi JP,
I wonder what all that ruckus was when I previewed the videos. Team tactics are very helpful. Sometimes they aren't. The last time my girlfriend and I used them was not very successful. Two weeks ago, we were fishing for some wild Rainbow Trout, and we found a lot of them scattered around. We threw the usual flies and some new ones at them. I even seined the river! They would not take. It took us awhile to figure out what was going on. They were just sitting still until the caddis emergence happened. After that, it was game on! We stopped spotting fish and just threw some soft hackles into the feeding lanes.

MP

Last edited:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dennis,you know I'm a bit old school so my movies are silent:DStill looking forward to see your girlfriend and you fishing;)More seriously I quite understand your point of view and you're right for trout...but chub have a different behaviour ...they seldom stay for long at the same place unless there's a good hatch which is getting rare .:(
Allan ...you know this place...and I have to make you catch big guys next time you come;)
Fishfish....sometimes you catch many fish sometimes ...they're not willing to bite...if we could catch as many fish as we want we would soon be fed up,wouldn't we?

Pocono

Reaction score
...if we could catch as many fish as we want we would soon be fed up,wouldn't we?

Ummmmm...........is this a trick question? I'll take a few more fish each time out, thank you very much, and I won't complain a bit! ;) It's just a matter of adjusting your "wants". :)

Pocono

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ummmmm...........is this a trick question? I'll take a few more fish each time out, thank you very much, and I won't complain a bit! ;) It's just a matter of adjusting your "wants". :)

Pocono
no trick question here Allan:D...
you're right Larry I had a great time not only because we caught fish but because I could spend a few hours with a great buddy:)

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice JP, I was never one to complain about a big chub.
I never complain either Ard ,leuciscus cephalus or squalis cephalus now is a very interesting fish to catch...he's very spooky and his sight is better than a trout's...but his mouth is bigger so it's easier to see it opening and closing when he takes the nymph;)in places where both species live they're the sentries of the the river...my friend Batistou sometimes wonder if they have eyes on their backs:grin:

charged

Reaction score
JB, That Madjoni, looks a lot like the grass carp i have been trying to catch locally. (Are they related?) Got a photo of the fly were you using?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JB, That Madjoni, looks a lot like the grass carp i have been trying to catch locally. (Are they related?) Got a photo of the fly were you using?
Not quite sure I quite understand your question...Madjoni is a forum member:D:D
The fish on the pics and videos are chub...they look a bit like carp but are less massive with a big head and a big mouth(cephalus)their behaviours are very different.
On that day we were using a black"chub special" nymph and a very simple black foam dry created by my friend Batistou.
You can see some of the flies I often use here:http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/11324-flies-across-pond.html;)

charged

Reaction score
Whups, sorry.
I read post #6 wrong, I mistakenly thought you were calling the fish a Madjoni.

wjc

Reaction score
Well, Charged, if you got Madjoni to take one of your flies and he made a run for it, you'd better be using at least a 15 wt with a Mako reel, or you're gonna get spooled for sure!:D:D:D

Cheers,
Jim