I don’t need another fly rod! I don’t need another fly rod! I don’t need another fly

sawinredneck

Reaction score
So, yeah, I bought another fly rod!
It’s colder than the tenth level of Hell here, I’m eyeballs deep in trying to get a workshop built and cost overruns are satanic at this point! I DO NOT need a new fly rod! I haven’t even had a chance to use the beautiful 7-8wt Sage reel I got because it’s so cold or I’m busy!
I go to Cabela’s to get out of the house a bit and head for the bargain cave, maybe there’s some returned .30 caliber bulletes and I can do some reloading the next two days with highs 20-12deg and snow? No love!
As I leave, something in the fly fishing dept catches my eye. Two rods in colors I hadn’t seen before. I picked up the longer of the two. WOW! I can’t expl it other than that, light, smooth, the entire rod flexed as I false cast it! “WOW! There’s no way I can afford this!” It was on sale for $70! The first I’d grabbed was a Cabela’s CGR 7’ 6” 5wt, nice, really really nice, but I’ve got a 5wt and plan on my son using it, I wanted a short 3wt!
Then I looked to my left, it was, as they said in Talladagea Nights, “a tractor beam of hotness!” “What is this little beauty?” Yeah, 5’ 9” 3wt!
I can hear it already, “It’s too short man! You are going to hate it!” Trust me, in the overgrown creeks and streams around here, and my needs, this is going to be ideal! I hope to post pics, someday, so some of you can understand what most of KS fishing is like!
Anyway, I walked away, I went back and handled it again. I walked away. I pulled out my phone, I read reviews, very good btw, checked prices online, and when I saw they were selling for more used than I could buy it new, it was over!
I grabbed the Cabela’s 3wt line kit, I know it’s ****, but for $14 I’ve got backing and some leader and a Prestige Plus reel, should be plenty for this size setup.
Out the door, $144, still less than the rod would have cost.
Damn you and your sales Cabela’s!
Sorry for the ramble, but hopefully a few of you laughed at the story.

steveid

Reaction score
A couple months ago I purchased the glass rod they had marked down to $50. The prime I believe it was. Excellent reviews. Picked up a couple of the reels they had for $10, and the line kit for $15, same as you did.

I ended up returning it all except the reels. They will make good line holders. Unlike you, I don’t have use for it. It was cool and all, but I don’t get to fish enough, so when I do I’m going to use one of my high-end rods.

pnc

Reaction score
Lol...... I don't need another fly rod. Is not my problem. My problem is, ..... ooow this is niiiice. And not at Cabelas.

........ pc

sawinredneck

Reaction score
A couple months ago I purchased the glass rod they had marked down to $50. The prime I believe it was. Excellent reviews. Picked up a couple of the reels they had for $10, and the line kit for $15, same as you did.

I ended up returning it all except the reels. They will make good line holders. Unlike you, I don’t have use for it. It was cool and all, but I don’t get to fish enough, so when I do I’m going to use one of my high-end rods.
This is a semi-high end rod for me. I’m not talented enough, nor able to fish enough (broken back) to justify much over $100 a rod. I wish I could, but honestly, 2hrs a day is pushing it, and three days of that, I need a week to recover!
This is my first experience with a “glass rod” though, and I’m starting to see what the fuss is about!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Not much of a 1hander fisherman, 95% of my river time is with spey's. But ... but ... saw this heavy duty glass two hander on the web; just had to HAVE IT!

Sitting across from me here in the office, never even been lined. Things a 'club;' King Salmon would fear me .... :rolleyes:

Second discovery, in my office closet of all places!, a 6wt 11 foot spey , (when did I buy this?:doh:) found a reel, loaded a proper line!!!, rod rigged, put on leader and fly! Presently by the garage door ... Fish will fear me ...

Nuts! I haven't purchased a fishing lic. this year .. well if I just use a bit of yarn to give it a go that's free.

Ah Hell another morning (now 0120 here), just above freezing/ heavy fog ... I'll wait till late this afternoon. This stuff never used to bother me ... driving rain-tick above freezing (couple of time it turned to snow=GOOD!!). Then/now: 'Mz Dog-Dog,' in back of the jeep ... stick her nose out ... 'No way Jose.' Just watched, covered with a heavy 'blankie.'

Good friend poking me a couple of days ago on the phone: 'Fred at your age you qualify for a Sr. Citizen/Resident License!'

Who knew????

I'll get a license today; doubt I can find a place that sells them at 0131 in the morning .... No biggie as driving in the dark, save for a total emergency, is not a 'to do' thing. The years of sitting in the car, engine/heater running, listening to good Opera music are over. Look at watch ... another half hour to go ... ah shxt. Out of car, rig rod and walk to the river with a flash light.

As the Actress Gloria Swanson is reputed to have said: "Growing old is not for the faint of heart."

r_brian

Reaction score
In my parallel life, I'm a photography enthusiast. The photography world has a term for this, GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I don't really need another camera but...

At one time I had 30 cameras in my closet; I've probably owned over 200 different cameras. I went cold turkey and beat the addiction. Now only own about 5 cameras.

But really would like a 9' or 9'6" rod for the Chama or the San Juan if I ever get to go. The 3 8-footers, the 7'6" and the old 6-footer are just not enough. Always room for another.

I feel GAS coming on!

sawinredneck

Reaction score
I tried to yard cast it tonight, it didn’t go well. Not sure if it was the ice and snow, the 12 degrees or the 15mph winds that made it feel like -3, But it didn’t go well.
Maybe later this week.

canoeman1947

Reaction score
Several friends of mine have the CGR 3 weight and really like it. Most say they use 3 or 4 weight line. I already have the old 7' 4/5 weight and several months ago picked up the 6'2" 2 weight rod, which I love. When Cabela's dropped their rod price to $39.99 recently and that evening was offering another 10% reduction, I decided I might as well. So now I have the 3 weight. I haven't had a chance to fish it yet, but did some lawn casting. The rod is so soft, I decided to see if it would handle a 2 weight line. With a Cabela's Prestige DT2 it cast well and accurately within 10-15 feet, and had no difficulty in casting to 45-50 feet. Still haven't tried the 3 weight line on it. If you are accustomed to casting graphite rods, there is a definite period of adjustment. Just slow down and don't push it. I switched over to glass about 10 years ago and probably have about 25 glass rods, vintage and recent. Some are expensive and made by well known builders, but I do enjoy fishing the CGR just as much. Best bang for the buck I have found.

Larry

sawinredneck

Reaction score
I've made it over a year without buying a rod. My last rod purchase was in December 2016, a seven wt Sage One.
I bought an Echo base 8wt in S Dakota last August, I know, pretty backwards buying an 8wt up North and a 3wt in KS, but it just worked out that way.

It’s going to have to warm up a lot before I’m practicing anymore, -12 windchill today! I do think I’m going to run back to Cabela’s today though, I didn’t get the rod tube with my rod! I’ve got to go see where they squirreled that away at.

sawinredneck

Reaction score
Yeah, I’d just purchased a Lee turret press when the chance of a lifetime deal came along on a Dillon 550b, $150, two powder measures, tool heads with 9mm and 38/.357 dies AND an MEC jr 600 in 12ga. I mean, how do you NOT buy that? I’m hoping my new building will be big enough for all this **** I’ve gotten!
Made it back to Cabela’s, had to go around with the clerk in fishing to jog his memory that the CGR’s do come with a rod tube, but I got it finally.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
So, yeah, I bought another fly rod!
Didn't need another one either... but just bought the most expensive one I've ever owned. On other hand, it's still cheaper than a drug problem. Turns out - and I looked it up just for this post - a meth addict can spend close to $10,000 a year on drugs, and a coke addict can spend more than 25 grand.

I spend nowhere near that on fly gear.

I'm ready with the data in case my wife brings up the subject...

fr8dog

Reaction score
The bargain cave is a decent place. Wife's Dr is almost across the street from our Cabelas. Was up there Monday and a 10 wt caught my eye. (I need a ten, why?). We were back again today so I did a quick fly-by. Argued with myself over the big stick and logic won. As I turned to leave, there it was! Oh, Lord. (Drumroll please). A 7'6" Three Forks 3 wt with a Prestige Plus 1 attached. Backing, line, leader already spooled. $24. I've been beating up bluegill and crappie with one for years. They had a lot of fly rods in there. Must be getting ready for the big change.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I have needed a 28 gauge over and under for years and I am still resisting. I did, however, buy an NRX LP. I guess I needed that worse.

Bill
Picked mine up yesterday. A Yildiz, made in Turkey, Academy sports is the sole U.S. importer $450. Wanted the Beretta but can't justify 2 grand to shoot an occasional round of skeet.