Anyone Remember the Video Bucknasty Browns?

zjory

Reaction score
Been a lot of talk about this on Insta lately, here's one example: Instagram
I follow a lot of fly fishing accounts on Insta and post my own fishing exploits. I think it's cool how social and forums like these have opened up the sport to a set of people that otherwise would likely have never become passionate about it, but I also often find myself concerned by the hero shot community that it has spawned.

ivory arrow

Reaction score
I suspect hero shots are quite a bit older and more common than we think. We are just exposed to more of them because everyone has a phone in their pocket now. Both to take pics, and to look at them.

I am not worried about that because along with that culture comes respect for the resource.

I’m not saying nobody ever handled a trout longer than they should have for a Facebook pic, but I worry more about people I see using baits with treble hooks, and not using a net, and most of those guys aren’t posting on the net.

I regularly see guys spin fishing in the flies/lures only areas just flip fish up on the rocks, and unhook them with pliers. Shaking the whole weight of the fish by its jaw until the hook pops loose.

I pretty much never see any serious fly fisherman do that kind of stuff.

Obviously not every spin fisherman mishandles fish, and not every fly fisherman is an ambassador for our sport. I personally see more of the older generation mishandling fish than I do the younger ones, despite the hero shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk