Spin fluoro replaced tippet

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
A while back I asked if anyone used spools fluoro intended for spin casting.

After doing some comparison against my usual Rio Fluoroflex Plus tippet I decided to try Seaguar Finese and InvizX. The diameter difference is only 0.0005"-0.002" depending on test rating. I found that the spool line did not coil and had very similar stretch.

I used this Seaguar line on 2 different blue ribbon wild trout streams, catch and release barbless fly fishing only lake and back country lake.

My catch rate for nymphing and streamer fishing only improved. I use it for indicator and tight line nymphing and heavy 12lb for streamer.

Next I will try mono spool line in place of nylon tippet for dry fly fishing.

I'm sure some guys on here have already been doing this, but if not, save some money and give it a try. The trout haven't noticed I'm not using fancy expensive tippet and I've been catching wild 20+ on it

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the fact that you are using 12 pound for streamer fishing regardless of the source of the tippet material. I have used mono targeted for spinning reels for streamer fishing on and off for years however I too am using 15 pound usually and 12 pound for light applications.

I can't speak to lines light enough for dry fly and nymph fishing but if it's working for you I won't argue against it. I always thought that the cost of our little leader spools full of tippet had to do with the spools themselves and the labor expended in loading them and labeling them. I have always figured the line itself was similar or exactly the same as any other 2, 4, or 5 lb test line.

karstopo

Reaction score
I always liked the 25 yard tippet spools just because they were easy to put in my pocket or otherwise handle and store and the little elastic keeper kept things neat. Seaguar says their tippet and some of their leader material is some proprietary fluorocarbon co-resin that offers better knot strength. However, I’m not getting a lot of knot failures and I’m inclined now to get a bigger spool of abrasion resistant non leader fluorocarbon and then just spool it on to the little spools I save once I use them up. It doesn’t appear Seaguar is putting their grand Max fluorocarbon on the little spools anymore in sizes bigger than 1X. 1X is okay, but I like 0X more and use more of that.

I don’t exactly burn through tippet although I do fish a lot normally. I pick up the little fluorocarbon spools off the discounters when available so I haven’t been paying normal fly shop retail. It’s not like keeping me in tippet is breaking the bank, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a big spool of .011” fluorocarbon as that is a diameter I use a lot of and then just spool some onto the little spools as needed. Being fluorocarbon, it won’t go bad out in the garage even if it takes me years to use up.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I do use a spinning rod (and bait casting rod) from time to time, and have many big spools of mono in various weights, and one or two spools of fluoro. I have used that stuff for leaders/tippets for many years. The fish don't seem to care. (BTW, in the spinning world mono and fluoro may seem almost obsolete, everyone is raving about "braid." I do have braided line on one reel (only for the increase in capacity for a given weight, since it is a small reel) but how much of it is marketing vs actually catching more fish, I don't know.)

PS - what goes around comes around. When I was a kid my father's fishing reels all had braided line on them, though I think it was cotton or flax or something. "Cuttyhunk," if I remember correctly.

S

smcnearn

20lb seaguar red label flouro ripping streamers all season long in the Rockies out here. I love the big spools!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clsmith131

Reaction score
After bait and leadcore fishing with the Seaguar flouro lines for years, I can offer this: The abraz-x is the toughest, strongest flouro I have ever seen. If ever I got a jig hung on structure or timber, the hook (2/0-5/0) would often straighten before the 20# Abraz-x would give. The Invis-x is more supple, and has a TON of stretch. Also, I've had some knot issues with this particular line. I do feel that the smaller tippet spools are of better quality for lighter weights, but anything from 10# up, I use Seaguar Red Label (my personal favorite). I've used more of the Red Label than any of the others and find it to be a predictable and reliable line. When you do try the mono, look for the seaguar senshi... great mono.
I sound like a Seaguar rep, sorry about that.

karstopo

Reaction score
After bait and leadcore fishing with the Seaguar flouro lines for years, I can offer this: The abraz-x is the toughest, strongest flouro I have ever seen. If ever I got a jig hung on structure or timber, the hook (2/0-5/0) would often straighten before the 20# Abraz-x would give. The Invis-x is more supple, and has a TON of stretch. Also, I've had some knot issues with this particular line. I do feel that the smaller tippet spools are of better quality for lighter weights, but anything from 10# up, I use Seaguar Red Label (my personal favorite). I've used more of the Red Label than any of the others and find it to be a predictable and reliable line. When you do try the mono, look for the seaguar senshi... great mono.
I sound like a Seaguar rep, sorry about that.
Polymers like fluorocarbon or low density polyethylene or whatever it is have a range of properties that can be enhanced or altered based on the synthesis process and some of the characteristics of the finished resin are a result of special proprietary processes of the manufacturer. A number of my friends and neighbors are research scientists and engineers that have spent their entire careers working out novel and better ways to make polymers. Often, there’s a whole lot a company can do to tweak a chemistry for a desired range of physical properties. Certain companies mostly own individual sectors. Seaguar seems to have an edge over much of the competition in quality fluorocarbon production.

When people say some particular plastic or resin is all the same that’s often just not true.

patrick62

Reaction score
I use Berkley Vanish, 2-8 lb., for trout, panfish and bass.

I wind it on old Rio spools so it all clips together.

Typically I start with a standard leader, 7.5 to 9 feet depending on manufacturer, and add pieces of Vanish as droppers, tying it up a la Davy Wotton.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I'm still using fancy overpriced tippet spools from Rio for 4x-6x flouro for nymphing and the much cheaper Rio Powerflex mono for dries, but my entire leader and all of my streamer tippet comes from Wal-Mart, Cabela's or the local bait-n'-tackle shop in comparatively giant spools that cost half as much as the tiny spool of tippet. I like Berkley Big Game, Gold Stren, and Stren and Seaguar Flouro for all of my leaders and streamer tippets. Works very well, and I've had the same three spools of leader material for over two years.

I don't know why, but for some reason I have a hard time switching over for anything lighter than 8lbs. Someone convince me either way!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've been using bulk spool lines for many, many years now. Don't even recall the last time I bought tippet material. I don't do much trout fishing & rarely fished dry flies, so wasn't buying the lighter tippet anyway. I have some packs of tapered leaders, and have used furled leaders. All did what I needed at the time. Those tapered leaders may not even be any good to use now, I've had them for several years.

For the fishing I've done, bulk lines have been fine. I also don't use fluorocarbon, have not seen a reason to use it. I'm not convinced about the "invisible" claims for any line so, that's not a reason I would buy it anyway. Beyond that, nylon/mono type lines have always been fine for me.

I also still fish with other tackle, and use Yozuri Hybrid for some applications, and have been using it to make fly leaders & for tippet. It's worked as well as anything I've tried in the past & since I have it on spinning reels & baitcasters, don't see much sense in using too many different lines or brands. Only other lines I use is the Sufix 832 braids, mainly for heavier applications, and still have some spinning reels I use for panfish with Ande or Silver Thread on them. When I need to replace those panfishing lines, I plan on going to the Hybrid.

In the past I've used Big game, and some other Berkley lines, and Stren, and Ande for fly fishing. I've used Maxima too, but not a lot, and have used some Mason lines. Some were only used as tippet material, but some like the BiG Game I used for making leaders too. All worked fine for me, But each had pro's & con's. Too many coils, some harder & stiffer than I wanted, some too soft for bigger flies, etc. So far the Yozuri Hybrid has been the best all around, but again for the fishing I've done. May not be a good choice for everyone. :)

lake flyer

Reaction score
Berkeley Vanish in 100 yd spools are all I use for steelhead. 10 to 14# and the smaller 100 yd spools (same diameter of tippet spools but wider) only cost $5. Been using this for a dozen years or more.

myt1

Reaction score
After reading a similar thread in this forum I decided to no longer use fluorocarbon tippet.

I realize there are differences in properties between nylon an fluoro; I'm just not convinced there is a clinical difference that shows up in the form of one type of tippet catching more fish.

Nylon is at least somewhat biodegradable and fluoro isn't at all. Based on this I'm going to stick with nylon.

Now I'm wondering if there is a difference in mono, a difference that shows up in the form of catching more fish.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if there is a difference in mono, a difference that shows up in the form of catching more fish.
myt1, IMO, yes & no. Various brands/lines have a range of properties, such as stiffness or softness, abrasion resistance, breaking strength to diameter ratio & so forth. So, depending on the application, and flies you're using, you may want specific properties, or you may want a general purpose line that's a good compromise. Again, IMO, the exception for application is dry flies, and particularly in tiny sizes, where drag is the primary issue that may require a tippet with very specific properties. Otherwise, subsurface applications can usually be fished with a general purpose type line, unless again you tend to only fish tiny flies. I rarely do, most of the flies & use are size 8 & larger, so as I mentioned, I've been using Yozuri Hybrid, which has worked well for me across a variety of fly types & sizes and I use a no slip loop most of the time so the tippet has little if any affect on my fly. My only consideration for the most part as a result is matching an appropriate breaking strength for the size flies I'm using & the fish being targeted.

The only way to really determine what might fit your fishing, is try some different lines. As far as improving catch rates, IMO again, the line used is only one factor, and alone should not affect the catch rate, unless in the example of tiny dry flies it's hindering obtaining drag free drift or effective casting.

Beyond that example, and once again, only my opinion, catching fish is a mental & technique problem, based on confidence in yourself & use of your gear to the best advantage. I've used various lines over the years, and caught fish with them all, whether or not a different line might have improved my catch rate at the time is not something I could determine, since I didn't try it. I choose line for tippet & leaders based on casting needs, abrasion resistance, knotting & knot strength & generally some degree of stiffness/ suppleness all to improve presentation. The rest is up to me to find the fish, and get a fly in front of them, with a presentation that causes a positive reaction. In my mind, that's what improves catch rates, not simply the tippet I'm using. ;)

markfrid

Reaction score
I'm definitely in the "whatever works" school. I use cheap Wally-World Zebco mono for the butt of my tapered leaders - down to 12# (.013). It's nice and stiff and has never failed me. Then I quickly taper down to my tippet with flouro. Yes, I get the good flouro for my tippet, but that's because the bulk flouro isn't thin enough for 4-6x diameters. I use those sizes a lot because lots of my trout fishing is with small flies. I think if I fished for salmon or steelhead or fished big streamers using heavier lines, I'd be using the big spool spinning line. And doing great. I might be wrong, but most of you who replied above seem to be saying that, too.

Mark

mikechell

Reaction score
I'm coming in late to this thread, and haven't read ALL the comments thoroughly, so I might be repeating other's posts. Here goes, anyway.
Just for FYI ... I switched to "super lines" braids on all my spinning and baitcaster reels years ago. I find the casting ability, the lack of memory, strength and the line capacity are all spectacular. I've also proven, in a boat with a self proclaimed "bass fishing pro", that braided lines can out fish mono or fluorocarbon lines. He front boated me many times, with his "superior" fishing lines, and I still caught more fish than he did.
Fluorocarbon is too stiff for spinning reels, as it will "uncoil" off the spool as soon as the bail is opened.

For my fly fishing (which I now do much more of than any other style), regular mono suffices for leader and tippet.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
braided lines can out fish mono or fluorocarbon lines.
Why is that though? is it more bites, more hookups, more successful fight/landing? Maybe you are just a better fisherman than that "self-proclaimed pro"? Next time you should trade tackle with him, and see if the braid=more fish equation still holds. I know it has become very popular. As I mentioned previously, I have one spinning reel with braid on it, but I don't use it that much (it is on a 5-piece travel rod; the line capacity was the reason I bought it). Maybe this summer I will use it more and see if it makes a difference for me.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I Use the dyneema/spectra type braid on some baitcasting & spinning gear, but not on fly gear. It has no stretch, so even a slight tick on the lure or bait is transmitted back, and hook sets are solid. For me, it's been a big improvement over mono and has likely improved my catch rate. It's not the most abrasion resistant line, and frays quickly, but that certainly depends on where it's used.

I use it primarily for jigs & similar heavy applications, 20 to 65 lb test, but have used 15 lb ( about the diameter of 4 lb mono) with light lures. IMO, in the lighter diameter it's harder to manage than mono type lines, especially on spinning gear as it had a tendency to twist & wrap around the rod tip often. For line diameter to breaking strength, it's far better than anything else I've ever used.

As far as out fishing someone else, I can't make that claim, only that it's been an improvement for some of the fishing I do over mono type lines.

mikechell

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but to answer your questions, GP, here's my take on "why".
1) I used mono right up until my first experience with braided lines. Mono did well, I thought, but I did lose fish to break offs. So, one aspect of braid, is it's superior strength to diameter.
2) "But skittish fish can see the line." I won't go into why I believe this, but fish can't tell the difference between braided line and a weed stem or piece of grass. It's not "fishing line" to their little minds.
3) Detecting strikes. I believe THIS is the main reason Braid outperforms any other line. Even with a bit of slack in the line, I can feel a pick up thump. Since braid floats, I can also see a slight twitch in the line, indicating a very subtle pick up. I truly believe I've detected 100% more takes with braid than I ever did before using it.

The only reason I don't use it for leader/tippet material is it's too limp. Even the best of us make the occasional weak casts. With mono or Fluoro ... the stiffness of the line can still roll the fly out and put it in a usable lie. With braid, the same cast usually piled the line and the fly in a snarl that's impossible to pull out. Wasted cast and sometimes a knot that requires replacing the whole leader/tippet.

lake flyer

Reaction score
I don't know if the fluorcarbon invisibilty of Vanish is real or imagined. But what I do like is that it is more abrasion resistant and doesn't degrade over time as much as mono. Those two qualities make it a great material for steelhead fishing. The lack of degradation is a double edged sword so make sure to not throw coils of it in the river.