Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: toughest reel under $100?

Take your hundred bucks, buy two medalists, take the $50 you have left and take your significant other out for dinner.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

2. Default Re: toughest reel under $100?

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    Take your hundred bucks, buy two medalists, take the $50 you have left and take your significant other out for dinner.
    that sounds great!

Blog Entries

+1 for Okuma Sierra. These things are solid buys. Medalists, well they're classics.

If you are looking for something machined, go with a Battenkill Mid Arbor. On sale right now and completely bulletproof. I have a MA II that I have used on my 4 and 5 wt and it's served me very, very well. Backed with a solid warranty too. The drag is so solid on this thing, I would be confident fishing with it for Steelhead.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
    +1 for Okuma Sierra. These things are solid buys. Medalists, well they're classics.

If you are looking for something machined, go with a Battenkill Mid Arbor. On sale right now and completely bulletproof. I have a MA II that I have used on my 4 and 5 wt and it's served me very, very well. Backed with a solid warranty too. The drag is so solid on this thing, I would be confident fishing with it for Steelhead.
    Battenkill Mid Arbor?might be a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
    I not looking for one that is pretty or a particular style,just strong. Give me some advice/recommendations.

thanks!

flymoron
    Check out the e auction site. Most vintage fly reels are remarkably durable.

There isn't a whole lot too them, and despite what the salesmen tell you, don't be afraid to go vintage. They will also work great. The first reel I ever bought was a Lamson Konic 3.5, I've since realized that it is not necessary to spend that much.

I found that a pflueger will do just as good of a job, as a more expensive reel. What your paying for in a more expensive reel, is lighter weight, looks, and bragging rights.

When it comes to fly fishing, I have found that a reel, isn't as important as it is, with other fishing methods. I'n my own fishing, I do prefer rim control, any reel that has that, instantly levels the playing field in drag capacity.

I've only lost one fly reel in my life, and it was a later modeled Cortland. The only reason it was lost, was because it was dropped.
    Last edited by charged; 09-29-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Hey Charged,

Is that a South Bends I see on that bottom shelf?
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Orvis Madison, I think Ant
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

The silver with a tan rim reel dead center is an Ocean City #77 I have the same on a 5wt switch. LOVE IT!! Love it more since I paid like 30 some odd dollars for it too! Looks like there are a few OC's in that killer collection.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

9. Default Re: toughest reel under $100?

While I don't have the fly fishing experience that most if not all folks on this sight have , I purchased an Allen Cassette reel before my Colorado trip and was very pleased. The guide I hired for a day was impressed, and several people stopped me to asked about it. Everyone was sure it was a $300+ reel, and was shocked when I told them it was under $100. I just ordered an Alpha series 3/4wt. I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

Matt

Blog Entries

I meant the one on the bottom shelf, far right, third from bottom. It's maroon and chrome. Looks almost like a twin to a South Bend I have, except mine is all maroon.

Either way, that's a cool collection of reels. I'm using this pic as proof to the Misses that I have a serious shortage of reels.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast