Wet Your Hands Please

yatahey

Reaction score
After reading the posts in the "Which way to go" thread, it occured to me that there is something I've been wanting to bring up with you guys (and girls) and keep forgetting, duh.
There are a lot of new fly fishers joining and reading this forum.
We take for granted that fish are vunerable to skin fungus when handled with dry hands and take appropriate measures to insure the safe release of fish. However, I'm sure many of the new people fly fishing are not aware of this danger and are not wetting their hands. I say this because I've seen way too many fish with spreading fungus on them when I fish the South Platte. I know these fish were returned to the water in good faith by fishermen who just didn't know they were hurting the fish. I believe it is our responsibility to inform all the new people asking questions here to be sure to wet their hands when releasing fish. Don't you agree?

OldMan

Reaction score
Yes, always wet your hands.

I also give them a little kiss on the top of their snout to show them I meant no harm, and then send them on their way.

FlyGal

Reaction score
Good Point.

The second good reason to wet your hands is if a nice size fish makes a run when you have your leader in hand it will cut you when the fish takes off, wetting your hands prevents this.

Old Man Kisses fish :icon_eek:

OldMan

Reaction score
Good Point.

The second good reason to wet your hands is if a nice size fish makes a run when you have your leader in hand it will cut you when the fish takes off, wetting your hands prevents this.

Old Man Kisses fish :icon_eek:

Just the female fish. :wink: