Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default How Much Does a Bead Weight?

I am trying to get an idea of how much a 2.0 or a 2.5 size bead weighs to compare it to a split shot. Does anyone know?

Default Re: How Much Does a Bead Weight?

tungsten weighs 40% more than lead, and brass weighs 30% less--- but that doesn't count for the drilled hole in the middle of a bead head compared to a solid split shot so....

say a tungsten bead weighs 20% more and the brass bead weighs 50% less than the same size lead split shot...??? Probably close enough for gov't work.

I'm sure it's out there on the internets somewhere in a handy dandy chart, but I'll be danged if I could find it.

peregrines

This may be a little closer to what you're looking for

Fly Tying: Tools Alan W. Miller

Scroll down for charts for bead to hook size and sink rates of different size beads.

peregrines

4. Default Re: How Much Does a Bead Weight?

I think that it depends on the material used to manufacture them. Not to state the obvious but putting both on a scale may be the best solution. I am sure that a store nearby would have a scale for you to do this. Some of the ones that I have bought in the past also have a weight in the bag.

Truchas.

5. Default Re: How Much Does a Bead Weight?

If they are made of the same materials, brass, copper, tungsten, etc., the 2 weighs less than a 2.5 When you use double beads you can expect the weight to be twice as heavy.

You could just weigh each on a scale and know exactly, although I'd guess the things aren't made to any exact weight specifications so consistency wouldn't be there.
    "If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong." John Gierach

Hi Teamanglerx,

I think your best bet is to weigh samples. If you have a friend who reloads you can use a reloading scale. It measures in Grains but that shouldn't be a problem. You are only wanting a comparison. A reloading scale weighs to 1/10th of a grain. You could also use a mail scale. If the scale is not sensitive enough you can weigh 10 of each and divide your results by 10.

Frank