Fly fishing on the cheap

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I was reading a different thread that suggests potential newcomers to the sport are put off by the perceived expense involved (they read comments on this forum about high end tackle and log off and don't return), and I think there may be a perception that fly fishing is a pastime for the idle rich. So here is a chance to suggest a more affordable entry point. Though I have accumulated a lot of stuff (10 rods so far), you don't need to, and I have only paid full retail for two rods (if I could only keep one of them it would be a fairly inexpensive rod). While it is great to support local fly shops (and you probably should if you have good shops locally and can afford it) there is always Amazon and craigslist. Also, great bargains can be found at retailers such as Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Sierra Trading Post. New but discontinued tackle can be had for bargain prices. And if you are fairly clever and can win that caption contest, some great Allen gear can be yours. So for the person looking to get into the sport (maybe a spinning rod fisherman want to give the fly rod a try) what would be your suggestion for the most affordable solution?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I don't think that I've ever paid full retail for a fly rod.
All my rods are used, close-outs, or home-rolled. No Cabela's or BassPro
In fact my favorite 8wt was built on a close-out blank (PacBay) for $60 total
Out of all my rods, there's only one (that's not bamboo) that cost more than $100 and that was a 60% off close-out.

But as someone here once kindly and correctly pointed out, I don't own a single rod that was made in this century. :D
Not that that matters to me.

I like to buy vintage rods when I see a deal and $35 is pretty much my limit
This one I bought a year ago for $20 and it was worth every cent
A custom built glass 10wt

IMGP0001.jpg

mikechell

Reaction score
I'm a fisherman. I've fished with cane poles (tenkara, before it was a "thing"), spinning reels, "bait caster" reels (also referred to as "level wind reels"), hand line and bow and arrow.
For the last 15 years or so, it's been fly fishing almost exclusively.
None of my gear, over the years, has been top dollar stuff.
Most of my fly fishing set ups are Bass Pro Shop's combos. Dogwood Canyon, Cricket, Bugger and Intruder, to name some. I absolutely love them.
I do have two custom built rods, but both of those were purchased during "sales events" at about 1/2 price.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
If you are completely new to the sport it might be best to find a balanced entry level combo. I say this because I realise now, forty years on, that the tackle I started with was just appallingly matched! How I ever learned to cast I don't know.

I firmly believe, though, that pound for pound, dollar for dollar, today's budget tackle is far, far superior to that of the 1970s bottom range, even many mid-range rods and reels, and a lower-end set up from, say, Shakespeare today will do the job sweetly until (and if) the angler wants to upgrade. As an old politician here once said, "you've never had it so good!"

However, if you're moving to fly fishing from another branch of the sport and are already pretty au fait with the tackle market then eBay opens the door to some of the best tackle of yesteryear at low prices. Sure, no warranty and parts may be tricky to find but if you are prepared to do a little research on the forums there are some fantastic quality bargains to be had - and with greater ease than ever before, too.

The one thing I wouldn't buy second hand would be a line. Happy if one comes with a reel but I'll throw it away if it is 'tired'.

I reckon that I could buy a new set up in the UK for around $140-$150 which would be ideal for a beginner and last them for decades, and I'm sure many parents spend more than that on a kid's main Christmas or birthday present.

What would a decent basic kit, say just rod-reel-line, cost you guys Stateside?

denver1911

Reaction score
I think equally important to the cost hurdle is the confusion hurdle. The internet has made is easy to have ready access to information overload. What rod is best? Which reel should I get if I get that rod? Which of the 300 WF5F lines is best if I want to fish for bream in stillwater and trout in a large tailwater and occasionally an overgrown mountain stream? Blah, blah, blah. Just like it does not have to be expensive .. it does not have to be complicated. Go to www.your-favorite-big-box-outdoor-retailer.com pick out a cheapo combo and order it. Learn to use it. You're out 50 or 60 bucks and are headed down a path to a lifetime of enjoyment on the water. Six months or a year later, you'll know more and make a different purchase. That 50 or 60 bucks was for the education you got along the way. And now it will serve as backup gear in case you break something.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
IMO, part of the issue is that many potential newbies, lack much in the way of fishing experience to begin with, so they have little or no point of reference. Even some long time anglers who may be trying to get into fly fishing for the first time are not sure what they need, or how much they're willing to spend. It can be daunting, if a guy grew up fishing with a Zebco 333 and is seeing $700 fly rods & $400 reels.

I agree with denver1911, too much in this sport can be confusing & over complicated than needed.

I started with a Cortland fiberglass 8 wt outfit years ago. It served it's purpose, and I caught a lot of fish with it. Like others here, I've got multiple rods now, and even 2 customs. I've never paid full retail either, except for possibly a Shakespeare rod, and it was listed at $20. Even the 2 customs, about $300 each at the time, and some of the better factory rods were in that price range, I did some horse trading to get. I tied flies for a custom builder for the one & traded tying materials for the other so it's always possible to get better gear even without spending a fortune.

I grew up primarily as a warmwater & tidalwater angler fishing for what was close to where I lived. If you read many of the fly fishing media these days, it gives the impression that you have to travel to exotic places & spend a small fortune on the best gear available in the process. Fly fishing can be far from that, but that's what the potential newcomers see, and frankly some fly shops attempt to perpetuate that impression.

When a person who has initial interest, but no point of reference other than what they read or is portrayed on sites like this or via the various social media outlets, has no idea where to start or what to buy, so their only recourse to to ask questions. This forum is wonderful in that regard, but even here I've noticed that folks recommend what they use, without much consideration about what else may fit the newbie better. It's human nature to try & steer someone towards what has worked for us, but doesn't mean it will be the correct gear for another, less experienced person. I'm sure the intentions are always good.

IMO, no matter what, everyone starts with something, whether it's a $1000 rod or a $50 rod won't matter, but only to a point. The basic idea of learning to fly fish is the same, and until they reach a point that they understand & can realize the difference, they're not going to know what's best for them.

Have you ever gone into a shop & watched someone looking to get into any kind of fishing, and they take a rod in hand & wiggle the tip? To an angler who's been fishing a long time that little wiggle might tell them something, but to the person who's never held a fishing rod before, it's doubtful that wiggle means anything at all!

I readily admit, my gear is not top of the line, but for the most part it's not bottom of the barrel either. But what I have works for me, and yes, I'm always interested in upgrading when possible or necessary, but only within my financial means and I've never been a person who cared about the latest & greatest. It's probable most people are like that, and there will be some gear now that won't break their bank account, and will still serve the purpose of getting them involved in the sport and also enjoy it!

There is now a wide range of fly fishing gear that may suit a beginner or an advanced fly fisher. The hard part is figuring out what might suit the person all around, with not just their budget. I've been able to make most rods & reels I've obtained work for me, but for most newbies, it's probably better that they start with instruction & trying some different outfits before actually committing to a new outfit and it shouldn't matter the price tag, or what someone may recommend, if it feels good to them & fits their budget that's what matters.

That $20 Shakespeare rod I have is as much fun for me to use as those $300 custom rods, and that should be the point! ;)

duker

Reaction score
Like Rip, I buy all my gear on sale or close-out. All of it. I don't need the latest and greatest, I just want quality gear that will last for a while. I try to buy North American-made whenever I can.

I think part of the reason people think fly fishing is prohibitively expensive is because it's one of those "brand name" sports--there are a lot of well-known companies that make excellent if pricey gear, and let's face it, a lot of anglers deck themselves out head to toe in all that pricey gear, with all of the brand names prominently displayed. People just getting into the sport might think they need to drop major $ on the latest Sage this or hottest Patagonia that (no strikes against either of those companies--I own gear from both).

I remember years ago when a buddy and I both bought our Simms waders (on close-out, of course). First time we wore them fishing he sort of looked us up and down and said, "Well, I guess we've become those guys.

Scott

mnigro

Reaction score
Fly fishing isn’t cheap but not expensive compared to other hobbies...blue water fishing, mountain biking, car racing, competitive/travel sports for the kids (soccer, lacrosse, etc.) - it’s all perspective.

zjory

Reaction score
I have a TFO pro 2 with a cheap reel that was the rod I bought a few years ago when I started seriously fishing. I recently went out with a friend who doesn’t fish and brought it for him. I ended up fishing it myself for a while and thought it was fantastic.
I now fish setups that are 3 times the price, but didn’t feel that the TFO left a whole lot to be desired.
Do my Scotts fish 3 times better than the TFO? Not even close.
Would I consider fishing a TFO when I can afford a Scott? Not a chance.
I like fly fishing gear and am fortunate enough to be able to afford the best, but it certainly isn’t necessary to spend much at all to fly fish.

pnc

Reaction score
When questions are asked by those looking to get involved. Or just after. Replys are often misleading or daunting. IMO, not intentionally. Yet questions lead to this,, because of their wording. A lot of people new to this. Do not understand what they ask beyond what they think they know. If one asks a question about something they appear to have knowledge of. Then responses will be in accordance to what is percieved.
Understand point of op. But as long as people can view anything they like. Things they know nothing or little about. How do you keep this from happening or then becoming daunting to someone. In many cases social medias hurt. As part of the forum we can only try to help. Point out options known of.

Cheapest way I know of would be an Eagle Claw rod & line holder from Amazon. Around $50.- will get you line also. This for freshwater ! For salt ........mmmmmm...... add another hundred maybe one fifty. For something decent. By decent I mean something you could have for years. And probably work as good as the day you got it after years of use. Rod would be TFO pro series, reel Piscifun, Sword or Blaze. Both these companies offer more for less than anyone. Both carry good products.

....... pc

c web

Reaction score
There are a lot of very fishable cheap outfits, as has been said over and over on this site. Are they just as good as the high end gear? No they are not.

I have seen very few condescending posts from the members here towards new fishermen looking to get into the sport or towards fly fisherman that prefer cheap gear. Most of the condescending posts I have seen here lately are towards fly fisherman that prefer expensive gear or tenkara.

Perhaps there should be a subforum for beginners so that they can have a place to go and not feel intimidated. This topic has been coming up a lot here lately.

c web

Reaction score
What is an acceptable price for a beginner outfit? If you want to go as cheap as possible then you can be on the water catching fish for under $100 worth of gear. Compared to many other sports, snow skiing, golf, deer hunting and many more, fly fishing is not expensive at all.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There are a lot of very fishable cheap outfits, as has been said over and over on this site. Are they just as good as the high end gear? No they are not.

I have seen very few condescending posts from the members here towards new fishermen looking to get into the sport or towards fly fisherman that prefer cheap gear. Most of the condescending posts I have seen here lately are towards fly fisherman that prefer expensive gear or tenkara.

Perhaps there should be a subforum for beginners so that they can have a place to go and not feel intimidated. This topic has been coming up a lot here lately.
There's a big difference between "cheap" and not over spending.
I don't look at any of my tackle as being "cheap" and yet I seem to find very serviceable gear at a reduced price.
Lefty used to say that 90% of all fly fishers couldn't either couldn't tell the difference between high-end and mid priced. Of course he was much more eloquent than that.

Some folks just have the need to own "the best" whether it makes a difference or not.
Others prefer to be practical
This subject comes up as often as it does because it's important that those with limited experience understand that.

c web

Reaction score
There's a big difference between "cheap" and not over spending.
I don't look at any of my tackle as being "cheap" and yet I seem to find very serviceable gear at a reduced price.
Lefty used to say that 90% of all fly fishers couldn't either couldn't tell the difference between high-end and mid priced. Of course he was much more eloquent than that.
I only meant cheap as it related to price, which it is, not function. I apologize if that was not clearly stated. Oh and "cheap" is the title of this thread.

folks just have the need to own "the best" whether it makes a difference or not.
Others prefer to be practical
This subject comes up as often as it does because it's important that those with limited experience understand that.
I think that it has been stated and overstated and it would take someone with very poor reading comprehension to not understand.

smoke33

Reaction score
From my short time here, reading and researching My understanding is as follows and maybe fly fishing equipment should be classified as the following- I am sure someone can improve my list.

Yugo- cheap and won’t last but will get you started.

Ford Taurus- affordable, dependable, bare bones but will last.

F-150- not cheap, not outrageous more extras like 4 wheel drive. Will last and more versatile

Land Rover- same as the F 150 but with more extras. If you have the money and want all the unnecessary extras, spend your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonefish41

Reaction score
Those who ask for inexpensive should answer the questions... do you fish if so with what and where... what do you want to flyfish for, where do you want to flyfish ...on this thread resides the spectrum of flyfishing venues and very experienced in their respective locale and/or travel venues. But we all remember our roots...it was 1954, a South Bend two piece spinning rod with the Airex spinning reel removed and a Martin automatic reel taped on, level line and a rubber spider. Assume the "beginner" poster is genuine and not some stalking horse or shill for cheap, new tackle distributor, then from my observation the responses given are and have been cordial and helpful. However, if the poster is asking for the cheap for his first flyfishing experience and its bonefish in Christmas Island, Peacocks Amazon, or Steel Alaska then the responses tend to bristle, particularly if he identifies his conventional gear as Stellas and/or JDM "plug" reels and JDM rods. My observations are this forum is helpful for those genuine inquiries.

karstopo

Reaction score
I fished for years in the saltwater with lures and low profile baitcasting gear prior to fly fishing and became reasonably skilled at finding and catching fish. I’d lurk about on some fly fishing forum or sub forum boards (not this one) looking at what folks had to say about fly fishing in the same general saltwater places I fished with my baitcasting gear and lures.

I hate to say it, but a majority of what I read turned out to be a mostly a load of c**p. Get this $500, $700, $900 dollar rod and/or reel or you will never have a good chance with the fish was a major theme. No, you must have a $50,000 skiff or forget about it. You must tie this leader to this length in these proportions. You have to use this line and taper. Guide X is the way to go, he never fails putting someone on fish. You have to fish here or there with fly X, but there are no fish where you are talking about so don’t bother. These are but a few examples.

I regret I paid any attention to those things I read. It certainly delayed me getting into fly fishing. I think it was often deliberately mystifying perhaps to send someone to guide x or fly shop y. There were way too many voices that said you must get rod X or fish spot Y with guide Z instead of merely sharing an experience that they had in non-absolute terms. I have no problem with someone sharing an experience. Just don’t set it up as the only way to have success.

I guess what I’m saying is that so many folks presented themselves as absolute authorities on gear and other fishy matters when in fact as it turns out they only knew a relatively few things about which they spoke or wrote. I remember from the baitcasting days where a guide stated that something I did with a particular lure wouldn’t and doesn’t work when in fact it did work and work very well. I guess I should have realized even folks that are guides or set themselves up to be, fly or otherwise, don’t and can’t know everything.

You Must, you have to, it can’t work, only this, these type of phrases now are red flags and I get real suspicious when I see those type of terms in a post about gear and techniques.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
To any newcomer to the sport or this forum looking for fly tackle advice here, this is what I, personally, would find helpful if we are to help you:

If possible tell us;

1) Where you expect to fish and when. Big rivers, little streams, lakes or salt, boat or bank - or maybe all of them - it's essential we know.
2) What you hope to catch - species and, if you know, average fish size.
3) Your budget.
4) Your level of experience so replies can be given appropriately.

Finding this info in any opening post would really help in narrowing down the options quickly and maybe get more folks involved with specific knowledge from your area.
Thanks.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
There is cheap, and there is junk. Some of the advice given on here to beginners is meant to keep them from throwing their money away on junk that will kill their interest in fly fishing.

I started in the late 50s with a mail order complete outfit from Field & Stream that included an 8 foot Garcia Royal Javelin glass rod, a South Bend automatics fly reel, a level C line, a leader and a dozen flies. That was $19.95 with postage.

And that (particularly the reel) was pure junk. I taught myself to cast from a book in the back yard. And no one I knew fly fished. If someone (as Lety Kreh eventually did) had introduced me to a decent line, a light reel and a Fenwick or even Shakespeare glass rod at that time it would have cost me a few bucks more but I would have had lots more fun learning and been more likely to stick with it. $19.95 wasn’t a lot of money, even in the 50s, but when people here suggest usable (but not high dollar) gear to a newcomer, they are just trying to save them from dealing with the true junk that is still out there.

Don