Streamer size

jayw2942

Reaction score
So i was trying to find this online but i figured i would just ask. Is a 5wt rod strong enough to throw a size 6 streamer? Maybe even a size 4? I have some that have a beadhead and some that dont. I just dont wanna hurt my fly rod by throwing something too big.

dillon

Reaction score
It is more the weight of the fly than the size. So, the bead heads will make casting more difficult. You will be able to tell when casting, as the line will not turn the fly over well if it is too heavy. It shouldnt hurt your rod to try and it willl be good experience to know what flies your 5wt set up will handle.

karstopo

Reaction score
I use my 4/5, 5/6 CGRs and a recently acquired MaxCatch glass 5wt to cast and Fish size 6 tungsten beaded woolly buggers, size 4 cone head muddler minnows, size 4 and 6 lead and brass dumbbell clousers and other streamers in that size range. 3/16” tungsten beaded patterns are a little tougher for me to cast with the 4/5 and 5/6 CGRs so I usually cast them with the 7/8. 5/32” tungsten beaded buggers are good to cast with all three rods.

As far as hurting them, I don’t know. I don’t really get the fly striking the rod on the cast anymore so that definitely help rod longevity. I don’t have any carbon 5 weights so they might be different.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I used a 9 foot PM-10 five weight for years and used feather wing streamers right up to size 2 and hardly ever smaller than a 6. I still use my 5 weight 7'9" Far & Fine and cast flies like the one below.

I use a water anchored cast with those on small to medium flows where my shortest 2 hand rod is too long. You can cast a wide range of sizes with a five weight, you just need to develop styles for different size loads. I learned a long time ago that there were different kinds of casting, one kind looks really good. The good looking cast is the epitome of fly casting with graceful long loops flowing above the angler until it is finally lain upon the water with less than a whisper.

Then there's streamer fishing, the idea is to put the fly where you need it to be and then assume some level of control over it as you use the currents and your rod to steer it along a predetermined course. Many of my own casts lack beauty and don't resemble the last video you may have watched. There is now a new age of streamer fishing wherein there are new Guru's and their favorite fly patterns but when you are actually out on a stream fishing it's you, you must become the Guru and you have to figure out what works for you where you are at.

I don't know if that answered the original question but I've fished streamer flies for most of my life so I thought to say something.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've cast size 6 deer hair bugs with a 3 wt, so a size 6 streamer shouldn't be an issue for a 5 wt. However as has been said, it will depend on the streamer, the materials & the weight. It's also going to depend on other factors, like your casting skills and experience with casting such flies. A size 6 streamer like Ard has shown will be a lot heavier than a size 6 tied with EP fibers as an example.

There's also the leader & tippet to consider. If you've been casting tiny dry flies or even wet flies or nymphs, then chances are what you've been using for leader & tippet may be too light for streamers. That may mean a heavier & possibly shorter leader and with a larger diameter & stiffer tippet material. So if you're leader has been 9' long with 5X or lighter tippet, then try something like 7' and 0, 1 or 2X tippet, then adjust from there. This assuming you'll be using the same floating line. You probably won't need to go to a sink tip or full sinking line, but that can be a possibility to fit specific conditions you may encounter.

For now, give it a try & see, then adjust as needed.

BTW, since you did mention bead heads, any such metal weight added to flies can do serious damage to a rod if it strikes it when casting, so be very careful. You might find you'll need to open up your loops a little & slow down some to cast a bigger, heavier fly.

pnc

Reaction score
So i was trying to find this online but i figured i would just ask. Is a 5wt rod strong enough to throw a size 6 streamer? Maybe even a size 4? I have some that have a beadhead and some that dont. I just dont wanna hurt my fly rod by throwing something too big.
Yes is what people have been saying. And its not that important how a fly gets where it need be. Just that it gets there.
I use a 3/4 glass Eagle Claw for freshwater. Twice on river outings with club took biggest biggest bass with fly big enough for spinning rod. Literally , tied on 3/0 hook wire weed guard. Band of sili-legs tied in middle near hook bend for legs. Rest is packed hair. After 6 casts or one mouth in water. Fly is so soaked and heavy, the only way to use it any longer. Is as if it were a lure on a spinning rod. Line stripped in till only tip of line & leader outside of tip. Thrown like a bait rig or flung if you like. Weight was such it lifted 50' of line from the ground.
Having said that. I should point out again using a glass rod. As noted in previous reply. Weight crashing into graphite can hurt.
This is just another example of getting fly to fishy whatever it takes.

........ pc

rsagebrush

Reaction score
You can make it work but you have to pay more attention making the cast smooth. So if your just doing it part time on some juicy looking holes or runs it will do okay provided you cut back on your leader.
If you going to dedicate the day to it I would put a more dedicated line on the rod like a SA titan or perhaps a Clouser line in the same line designation but you could upline even that and it will make things a bit more pleasant for you because the rod will load further.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
You can make it work but you have to pay more attention making the cast smooth. So if your just doing it part time on some juicy looking holes or runs it will do okay provided you cut back on your leader.
If you going to dedicate the day to it I would put a more dedicated line on the rod like a SA titan or perhaps a Clouser line in the same line designation but you could upline even that and it will make things a bit more pleasant for you because the rod will load further.
I agree with this. I fish streamers on a 5 weight all the time with everything from a WF5F to a long euro nymphing leader. It's definitely possible. But for days you know you'll be fishing mostly streamers, an aggressive line like the Titan taper is nice, or you could also overline with your favorite trout line in a WF6F to help open the loops. But you can do it with a #5 line for sure with the right casting adjustments. The only time it'll hurt the rod is if a conehead or set of dumb bell eyes smacks the blank. Then your 5 weight will be toast.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I cast size 6 and 8 simi seal leeches in 15 grain weight on my 3WT rod with a Rio gold WF line distances out to 40 feet are still enjoyable to cast.

Hairwing streamers to size 6 easily long distances 60 feet plus on the aforementioned rod and those weigh 3 grains.

Streamer these days could mean anything from articulated chickens to Sculpins to ?

S

smcnearn

I use a 5wt sage one and it works for shorter casts with the bigger articulated stuff. With smaller nonarticulated streamers it throws plenty hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk