Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Bass Cabelas Pro

Also wish the merger hadnít happened. As Iíve mentioned before, I worked in the outdoor industry for awhile, and lots of contacts I had at Cabelas just lost their jobs. Sydney, Nebraska is about to become a ghost town and itís going to be ugly. This is ultimately very bad for the industry, both manufacturers and consumers.

Hopefully it strengthens local dealers, which is often what happens in a scenario like this. In this era of consumer-direct sales, Iím surprised Morris made this move. I do not believe BP will be in business in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
    Small shops aren't failing because of big stores. Bass Pro and Cabela's both started out small, too. They saw opportunities and took them. Expanded and sold gear at reasonable prices.
    Small shops sat back and watched this happen. They didn't keep up with technology ... or anything else, for that matter.
    They're failing because they rely on local people to pay higher prices and they hope progress won't leave them behind.
    Small shops have it hard now. They canít compete with the prices of a Bass Pro let alone online. What the small shop can provide albeit at a higher cost is customer service. That may or may not be important. I tried our close by small fly shop. Their customer service tried to tell me I needed to spend $400 plus for a new fly rod. This was after I told them I was just starting out and brand new to the sport. Iíll stick with saving money over that kind of customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a Bass Pro that just opened South of Vancouver, the place is empty every time I've dropped in, I keep hopping for deals, but everything seems at premium price, even worst, their website in in US dollars only.
    Cabela's has a Canadian website, better deals as well, although this may change now with the new owners.

4. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by steveid View Post
    Also wish the merger hadn’t happened. As I’ve mentioned before, I worked in the outdoor industry for awhile, and lots of contacts I had at Cabelas just lost their jobs. Sydney, Nebraska is about to become a ghost town and it’s going to be ugly. This is ultimately very bad for the industry, both manufacturers and consumers.

Hopefully it strengthens local dealers, which is often what happens in a scenario like this. In this era of consumer-direct sales, I’m surprised Morris made this move. I do not believe BP will be in business in 20 years.
    When the Cabelas family got out of it and it became a publicly traded company, its fate was sealed.....
    Mainline the blueline

6. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Default Bass Cabelas Pro

Here in bass country, the only thing Iíve noticed is a decrease in fly fishing doodads. Odd, but maybe not unexpected. Fly fishing is still an oddity here where Gulp Alive! and dead shrimp reign alongside soft plastic bass creatures and $30 crankbaits.
    Edited to add that when I was a spray back in the Ď80ís and Ď90ís Bass Pro and Cabelaís had the best prices on gear hands down. Now, when Bass Pro carries the same stuff as Walmart and Academy, itís on average 25-35% more expensive. I use points of my bass pro credit card to get free stuff otherwise I wouldnít give them any business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123