Bass Cabelas Pro

zhaddock

Reaction score
I got my Cabelas spring fishing catalog today. The first part of it is riddled with Bass Pro logos and advertisements for their Big Cedar Lodge and Museums. I was wandering when/if the merger would be noticeable.

mikechell

Reaction score
Yeah ... I still haven't figured out what they're going to do. I've been to both stores all over the Country. Watched while negotiation waxed and waned.
Now that the deal is done, internally, I haven't been able to discern any differences to before. But I am sure they'll be bleed over.
Johnny Morris is not one to hide his ... influence.

spm

Reaction score
The tile of this thread made me smile, too. I noticed the same thing in my new Cabelas catalog. I have been a customer of both for many years.

As I have said before, I worked for a major department store, and during my time with them, we took over several other chains. We (the taker) kept their (the takee) name for a while then changed everything over to our name. Cabelas has a reputation every bit as strong as BPS, so it could go either way. It will be interesting to watch it play out. I just hope the quality of the merchandise doesn't suffer on either side.

Thanks,
steve

scotty macfly

Reaction score
The Cabela's in my neck of the woods has gone down hill since the change. The fly fishing area hasn't the variety of rods it once had. Of course you will find Cabela's brand rods, and TFO is still there. I think they now have Saint Croix rods, but not sure. I didn't see any Ross reels in the catalog, so I wonder if they are discontinuing selling those. In fact, the online shopping for that particular store didn't show any Ross reels either.

mikechell

Reaction score
This is just "rumor-mill" stuff from employees I've talked to.
In areas that have both stores, the Bass Pro stores will start focusing on fishing equipment and the Cabela's will more hunting.
In areas that have only one or the other, nothing will change.
Since both stores carry their names on equipment that is made by the same companies, there's no need to change that.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
This is just "rumor-mill" stuff from employees I've talked to.
In areas that have both stores, the Bass Pro stores will start focusing on fishing equipment and the Cabela's will more hunting.
:frusty:

Just my luck. Bass Pro is 20 minutes further away.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I am very curious where this leads. I can only assume BP is quite aware bass are far from revered in a considerable part of the country. That does matter if you change the name of a Cabela's store to Bass Pro.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
So I have a Cabela's in Thorton off I-25, it's closest to me, plus a Sportsmans Warehouse across from Cabela's, ( if it's still there ) then a BP in Denver, then another Cabela's just on the south side of Denver in Lone Tree just off I-25. Then north of me we have the new Scheels, and Sportsmans Warehouse in Loveland. Then on top of it all I am surrounded by six fly shops that are within a 30 minute drive.

I say I'm pretty well covered. But with all that, I'd rather shop at the local fly shops.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Very different situation here Scotty. Fly shops are hundreds of miles apart and always have been to my knowledge. Cabela's filled the gap in the Midwest. I believe something similar occurred in the South with Bass Pro.

Minnesota is a very touristy state due to the fishing opportunities. Last I knew, the second most visited attraction in the state is Cabela's at Owatonna (second to Mall of America). I found that fact interesting.

Anyway, both businesses entered market places where there was a need and grew into the behemoth they are now. I wish they had not merged. A lack of competition is rarely good for consumers in the end.

Reaction score
I've used both for various things over the years. The nearest Bass Pro has a smaller fly shop with less selection but the pricing seems better. The nearest Cabelas has a larger shop but some of the pricing is inflated. I'm not sure the merger will hurt that aspect for me. Mostly I buy fly tying materials, fly lines, and leaders, not rods or reels. Since every single fly shop in my county has closed up shop, I really have little choice of supplier if I still want to hold the package in my hand before I buy.

In the past I've found that the quality of clothing at Cabelas has been much, much better than BP and cost a bit more too. I have shirts from Cabelas that I've been wearing for years and they are still going strong. I fear that under BP, the clothing buyers will go for lower cost over higher value. I'm already noticing that the number of Cabelas branded clothing items is greatly reduced and there are more North Face and Columbia products. Well, I don't need to ride an hour to either store to buy those items.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Very different situation here Scotty. Fly shops are hundreds of miles apart and always have been to my knowledge. Cabela's filled the gap in the Midwest. I believe something similar occurred in the South with Bass Pro.

Minnesota is a very touristy state due to the fishing opportunities. Last I knew, the second most visited attraction in the state is Cabela's at Owatonna (second to Mall of America). I found that fact interesting.

Anyway, both businesses entered market places where there was a need and grew into the behemoth they are now. I wish they had not merged. A lack of competition is rarely good for consumers in the end.
BP was going to build another store in Loveland, but then bought out Cab's instead. I always wondered why so many big company stores in one state. Almost like Starbucks.

Its sad to see these multi million / billion dollar companies hurting the small shops with people struggling just to make a living.

A little western history here friends. This is exactly what made the Dalton gang go bad.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
My local Bass Pro in Foxboro, Mass has really gone down hill over the years. The fly fishing department used to be serviceable. Now it is laughable. The last time I went there I was looking for a simple pair of rain pants size large for a trip to Montana. Though the racks looked full the actual selection was incredibly thin, lots of XXL units across a very narrow selection. I ended up at the Columbia outlet store and found exactly what I needed. I simply have no need to go to Bass Pro anymore.

mikechell

Reaction score
Its sad to see these multi million / billion dollar companies hurting the small shops with people struggling just to make a living.
Small shops aren't failing because of big stores. Bass Pro and Cabela's both started out small, too. They saw opportunities and took them. Expanded and sold gear at reasonable prices.
Small shops sat back and watched this happen. They didn't keep up with technology ... or anything else, for that matter.
They're failing because they rely on local people to pay higher prices and they hope progress won't leave them behind.

brownbass

Reaction score
We have Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Feathercraft, and Hargroves. The first three you know. Feathercraft most of you know and use at times and Hargroves is one of those shops that disdain the modern world. I most often hit up Featercraft because they have what I want and can usually find what I want easily enough. Hargroves I have only been to a couple of times though the atmosphere is friendlier than FC. It is a kind of maze-like, being a converted house so you wander from room to room looking for things unless you ask. I like to wander myself so it's an accomplishment when you find something. Nice people there. The two fly shops are furthest from home. BP and Cabelas are equal in my opinion having about the same amount of room dedicated to fly fishing. They both have at least one knowledgeable person working the department. Gander just went thru a reorganization and I haven't been back since they closed and reopened. They had essentials but no tying supplies.

Bill

mikechell

Reaction score
The Gander Mountain in Orlando closed it's doors for good. "Gander Outdoors" will be the new name for any stores that reopen under Camping World's umbrella.
Does anyone live near one that "reopened"? Brownbass, did the one near you actually reopen? I'm seriously wondering what the new stores will have for fly fishing. I'm doubting they'll carry anything.

brownbass

Reaction score
The Gander Mountain in Orlando closed it's doors for good. "Gander Outdoors" will be the new name for any stores that reopen under Camping World's umbrella.
Does anyone live near one that "reopened"? Brownbass, did the one near you actually reopen? I'm seriously wondering what the new stores will have for fly fishing. I'm doubting they'll carry anything.
Mikeschell, I went to the cleareance sale at Gander Mountain and scored some nice clothing and when I made it back it was closed. I drove by around the holidays and they had signs up that they were hiring. According to the Gander Outdoors website they are open.

Bill

brownbass

Reaction score
Mikeschell, I went to the cleareance sale at Gander Mountain and scored some nice clothing and when I made it back it was closed. I drove by around the holidays and they had signs up that they were hiring. According to the Gander Outdoors website they are open.

Bill
I just went to the GO website and they listed no Fly Fishing gear whatsoever. No reason to go back unless they have another going out of business sale.

Bill

stinger22

Reaction score
There are several fly shops Missouri Tennessee and Ohio that will take care of all your fly needs they have free shipping of some form and usually no sales tax used all three and been well satisfied much better service than BP or Cabelas open 24 7 on line

mikechell

Reaction score
I went to the cleareance sale at Gander Mountain and scored some nice clothing and when I made it back it was closed.
The closeout was FANTASTIC !!! I bought over $1000.00 worth of fly tying and fishing equipment for a little over $200.00.