Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Exclamation Credit Report company breach was even worse than I dreamed!

I hope 'Management' here will allow this non-fishing related post to go up.

For context I was in the mortgage lending business for the majority of my adult life ... the first thing I looked at was your credit report. Important stuff was the 'how much,' with whom, payment record, etc. If you apply for ANY KIND OF CREDIT the lender will pull a report and (first) look at your FICO score. The FICO is a number rating between (if memory serves) from 620 (bad!) to about 800 (rare to see this high). Higher the better.

There are three major (that I can think of) Reporting Agencies and ONE HAS BEEN HACKED! Much of who you are, where you are, etc., could have been plucked! Again, if memory serves, you have the legal right to access 'your information' to review, contest errors, et. al. once a year ... for free.

Now 'someone' has/might have all that information; last time I applied for a credit account (fishing stuff) I just filled out an on-line form and that was all. I understand the ''why' of that, but scary.

I could have been anywhere using a PO Box number, takes seconds to get one or set up what we called a 'dead drop.'

Massive Equifax data breach is worse than originally thought | Komando.com

Are you at risk? Probably not but as someone once said: "A good offence is a better defense."

Fred Evans
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

2. Likes jds108, corn fed fins liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Credit Report company breach was even worse than I dreamed!

Equifax sent out a letter if you had been comprised. Well, I know people that got a letter saying as much anyhow. When Home Schlepot got hacked, my CC number was compromised. Bank informed me after I tried using it and had to call to figure out why my card wasn't working. They shut it down.lol

The big three should know better. Their firewalls should be pretty tough nut to crack. But when foreign governments and every data base hacking POS targets you, good luck. But knowing of a weakness and doing nothing rings lawsuit.

Retailers store your CC numbers to make it easier to make returns. A stupid and expensive customer service liability, IMO.

LifeLock. At least it's some kind if fence.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

4. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by corn fed fins View Post

I thought they got hacked awhile back, too. I figure someone makes 2 attempts per week on me, but the CC companies, banks, and everyone else kinda knows the score and corrects/averts any trouble without me ever having to know.

Thus far, I've been pretty OK with the situation with plenty of other stuff to focus on. They store everything electronically, it's their responsibility to protect it.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by corn fed fins View Post
    Equifax sent out a letter if you had been comprised. Well, I know people that got a letter saying as much anyhow. When Home Schlepot got hacked, my CC number was compromised. Bank informed me after I tried using it and had to call to figure out why my card wasn't working. They shut it down.lol

The big three should know better. Their firewalls should be pretty tough nut to crack. But when foreign governments and every data base hacking POS targets you, good luck. But knowing of a weakness and doing nothing rings lawsuit.

Retailers store your CC numbers to make it easier to make returns. A stupid and expensive customer service liability, IMO.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    A problem with a credit card? "They" couldn't care less .. MAJOR EXCEPTION are their 'fraud squads,' hunting vicious animals. Was told (true?) that most were retired Detective Police Officer
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"