What are the best free print catalogs?

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I like going through physical print catalogs. I was wondering what companies offer the best ones that are at least partially general fishing, fly or fly tying related. Some are simply "outdoor lifestyle" manly for clothing.

I think I signed up for (or already receive because I purchased from them):
Orvis
Patagonia
Bass Pro
L.L. Bean
Feather-Craft
Field and Stream (weekly circular)
Cabelas
Simms
The Fly Shop (sadly online only now)
Hook and Hackle
Eddie Bauer
Dick's Sporting Goods

Any good ones out there that I missed? I also camp and play hockey if anyone knows of any good ones for those hobbies as well.

knotjoe

Reaction score
Feather-Craft and The Fly Shop were always my favorites. If you're into rod building and components, Mudhole has some super catalogs and I prefer them to websites for browsing. Cabela's used to have an awesome flyfishing catalog, not so anymore. Haven't seen an Orvis catalog for quite some time although I recall them being pretty darn good lunchtime reading material.

Dunno about Caddisflyshop as far as catalogs go, their website does have some nice offerings though.

Getting about time for me to make a list and it's gonna be a PITA because it will involve about (at least) 3 different suppliers.

D@mn, I miss the "old" Cabela's and the plethora of stuff they used to carry! One could get most anything there back in the day for tying and FFing.

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
I just checked the stacks and found one keeper-you'll recognize it from the lists above-The Fly Shop, Redding, Ca. 2005 edition. Thirty pages of flys when you need inspiration.

jr spey

Reaction score
I like going through physical print catalogs. I was wondering what companies offer the best ones that are at least partially general fishing, fly or fly tying related. Some are simply "outdoor lifestyle" manly for clothing.

Orvis
Patagonia
Bass Pro
L.L. Bean
Feather-Craft
Cabelas
Simms
Hook and Hackle
Eddie Bauer
Dick's Sporting Goods

Any good ones out there that I missed? I also camp and play hockey if anyone knows of any good ones for those hobbies as well.
If you mean the Fly Shop from Redding California, I just got their 2018 40 year anniversary edition this past weekend. The back cover shows that they also have other publications regarding travel and fly tying. 164 pages this year!

corn fed fins

Reaction score
McKenzie taxidermy supply.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on doing a fish reproduction. I find this stuff interesting nonetheless.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

el jefe

Reaction score

Orvis
Patagonia
Bass Pro
L.L. Bean
Feather-Craft
Cabelas
Simms
Hook and Hackle
Eddie Bauer
Dick's Sporting Goods

Yay! Hockey!

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on catalogs for it. Everything hockey I've found is online. We don't even have a decent pro shop in town. The fly shops are good, the hockey shops are awful.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Yay! Hockey!

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on catalogs for it. Everything hockey I've found is online. We don't even have a decent pro shop in town. The fly shops are good, the hockey shops are awful.
Luckily, I have a Pure Hockey and a Play It Again Sports within 20 minutes. Online orders are mostly through Pure Hockey or Hockey Monkey. I also love the "garage sales" that the rinks have at the opening and close of the "season" (the main one I go to is all year round ice but has semi-annual used gear sales in early october and late march.) The rink has a small shop good for tape, sharpenings and beer but not much else.

The only one I would add is J. Stockard.

Bill
That's a good one. I haven't ordered from them yet but it looks like a good one for the bench.

If you mean the Fly Shop from Redding California, I just got their 2018 40 year anniversary edition this past weekend. The back cover shows that they also have other publications regarding travel and fly tying. 164 pages this year!
I do mean the Redding Fly Shop. I'll have to send them an email because I didn't see a spot on their website to request a print catalog. I have gotten one in the past.

Last edited:

planettrout

Reaction score
Strictly for Fly Fishing and Fly Tying, these were the best two catalogs I always eagerly anticipated...neither is around today:

Blue Ribbon Flies Catalog

Bob Marriott's Catalog...nothing ever came close to the amount of information contained in these catalogs throughout the years...including rod building

PT/TB

jr spey

Reaction score
Strictly for Fly Fishing and Fly Tying, these were the best two catalogs I always eagerly anticipated...neither is around today:

Blue Ribbon Flies Catalog

Bob Marriott's Catalog...nothing ever came close to the amount of information contained in these catalogs throughout the years...including rod building

PT/TB
You could add Hunter's Angling to that list. Had most everything, but had a lot of gear intended for Atlantic salmon fishing, including flies that were nearly impossible to find elsewhere.

ryc72

Reaction score
Fly water travel and yellow dog fly fishing both have beautiful print catalogs of the lodges and outfittters they work with. Great to keep on the coffee table.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Because I make lures too, I get a couple of catalogs that also contain fly tying supplies. These are not generally places that I buy a lot of tying supplies from, but they do seem to have good selections & I like having as many options as possible when I need something. I've never had any problems with any of them other than an occasional back-order.

Lurepartsonline.com/Anglersworkshop.com both owned by the same folks. Lure building, rod building & fly tying supplies.

Mudhole, mostly rod building but they have expanded into tackle making of other types, including fly tying.

Jann's Netcraft, they've been around a long time, and have a good selection of tying materials & hooks, in addition to lure building & rod building supplies.

Barlow's Tackle, I've been buying various things from them for many years. Another that expanded into fly tying.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I get a catalog every Fall from the Rogue Angler from Eugene, OR. It's not your normal fly fishing catalog. It is filled with gifts that are fly fishing related. But it does have items for fly fishing, like fly boxes, rod & reel cases, wading staffs and more.

This is the perfect Christmas catalog ever.

duker

Reaction score
I had no idea there were still so many print catalogs out there. And here I've been wasting my time looking at fly shops online. I feel an orgy of catalog ordering and reading coming on--nothing like a fly tackle catalog to pore over when it's winter outside.

I've had the old Cabela's catalog, and currently have the Fishin' Hole catalog (Western Canadian fishing store) and J. Stockard's catalog (great fly tying stuff). I keep them, along with most of my fly fishing magazines, in a rack next to the toilet in our upstairs bathroom. Perfect toilet reading.

Scott

JoJer

Reaction score
ottosmagic13;1095166 I do mean the Redding Fly Shop. I'll have to send them an email because I didn't see a spot on their website to request a print catalog. I have gotten one in the past.[/QUOTE said:
On the back cover of my '05 catalog is says, "Insure that you will continue to receive our catalog by placing an order during the calendar year."

ddb

Reaction score
The Fullng Mills Fly catalog has pages of commercial ties on offer that pretty much cover the contemporary trends in the market. I never buy ready made flies but the picts give me ideas about new materials and techniques to try.

ddb

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I get a catalog every Fall from the Rogue Angler from Eugene, OR. It's not your normal fly fishing catalog. It is filled with gifts that are fly fishing related. But it does have items for fly fishing, like fly boxes, rod & reel cases, wading staffs and more.

This is the perfect Christmas catalog ever.
Thanks I'll add that one to the list.

On the back cover of my '05 catalog is says, "Insure that you will continue to receive our catalog by placing an order during the calendar year."
Welp that may explain it. Looks like I may have to order something, I loved that catalog.