Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the best free print catalogs?

I like going through physical print catalogs. I was wondering what companies offer the best ones that are at least partially general fishing, fly or fly tying related. Some are simply "outdoor lifestyle" manly for clothing.

I think I signed up for (or already receive because I purchased from them):
    Orvis
    Patagonia
    Bass Pro
    L.L. Bean
    Feather-Craft
    Field and Stream (weekly circular)
    Cabelas
    Simms
    The Fly Shop (sadly online only now)
    Hook and Hackle
    Eddie Bauer
    Dick's Sporting Goods

Any good ones out there that I missed? I also camp and play hockey if anyone knows of any good ones for those hobbies as well.
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

Default Re: What are the best free print catalogs?

Feather-Craft and The Fly Shop were always my favorites. If you're into rod building and components, Mudhole has some super catalogs and I prefer them to websites for browsing. Cabela's used to have an awesome flyfishing catalog, not so anymore. Haven't seen an Orvis catalog for quite some time although I recall them being pretty darn good lunchtime reading material.

Dunno about Caddisflyshop as far as catalogs go, their website does have some nice offerings though.

Getting about time for me to make a list and it's gonna be a PITA because it will involve about (at least) 3 different suppliers.

D@mn, I miss the "old" Cabela's and the plethora of stuff they used to carry! One could get most anything there back in the day for tying and FFing.
    Last edited by knotjoe; 02-13-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: apostrophization of Cabela's

3. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I just checked the stacks and found one keeper-you'll recognize it from the lists above-The Fly Shop, Redding, Ca. 2005 edition. Thirty pages of flys when you need inspiration.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

5. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ottosmagic13 View Post
    I like going through physical print catalogs. I was wondering what companies offer the best ones that are at least partially general fishing, fly or fly tying related. Some are simply "outdoor lifestyle" manly for clothing.

Orvis
    Patagonia
    Bass Pro
    L.L. Bean
    Feather-Craft
    Cabelas
    Simms
    Hook and Hackle
    Eddie Bauer
    Dick's Sporting Goods

Any good ones out there that I missed? I also camp and play hockey if anyone knows of any good ones for those hobbies as well.
    If you mean the Fly Shop from Redding California, I just got their 2018 40 year anniversary edition this past weekend. The back cover shows that they also have other publications regarding travel and fly tying. 164 pages this year!

7. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

The only one I would add is J. Stockard.

Bill

9. Likes karstopo, ottosmagic13, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

McKenzie taxidermy supply.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on doing a fish reproduction. I find this stuff interesting nonetheless.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

11. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ottosmagic13 View Post

Orvis
    Patagonia
    Bass Pro
    L.L. Bean
    Feather-Craft
    Cabelas
    Simms
    Hook and Hackle
    Eddie Bauer
    Dick's Sporting Goods

Yay! Hockey!

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on catalogs for it. Everything hockey I've found is online. We don't even have a decent pro shop in town. The fly shops are good, the hockey shops are awful.

13. Likes scotty macfly, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    Yay! Hockey!

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on catalogs for it. Everything hockey I've found is online. We don't even have a decent pro shop in town. The fly shops are good, the hockey shops are awful.
    Luckily, I have a Pure Hockey and a Play It Again Sports within 20 minutes. Online orders are mostly through Pure Hockey or Hockey Monkey. I also love the "garage sales" that the rinks have at the opening and close of the "season" (the main one I go to is all year round ice but has semi-annual used gear sales in early october and late march.) The rink has a small shop good for tape, sharpenings and beer but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    The only one I would add is J. Stockard.

Bill
    That's a good one. I haven't ordered from them yet but it looks like a good one for the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jr spey View Post
    If you mean the Fly Shop from Redding California, I just got their 2018 40 year anniversary edition this past weekend. The back cover shows that they also have other publications regarding travel and fly tying. 164 pages this year!
    I do mean the Redding Fly Shop. I'll have to send them an email because I didn't see a spot on their website to request a print catalog. I have gotten one in the past.
    Last edited by ottosmagic13; 02-14-2018 at 08:02 AM. Reason: prevent double post
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

15. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Strictly for Fly Fishing and Fly Tying, these were the best two catalogs I always eagerly anticipated...neither is around today:

Blue Ribbon Flies Catalog

Bob Marriott's Catalog...nothing ever came close to the amount of information contained in these catalogs throughout the years...including rod building

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    Strictly for Fly Fishing and Fly Tying, these were the best two catalogs I always eagerly anticipated...neither is around today:

Blue Ribbon Flies Catalog

Bob Marriott's Catalog...nothing ever came close to the amount of information contained in these catalogs throughout the years...including rod building

PT/TB
    You could add Hunter's Angling to that list. Had most everything, but had a lot of gear intended for Atlantic salmon fishing, including flies that were nearly impossible to find elsewhere.

18. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast