Poll: How many people have ever used their rod warranty.

What's your take on Rod warranties?

• I'd pay $300 more for equivalent performance and a better warranty

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I'd pay $200 more for equivalent performance and a better warranty

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I'd pay $100 more for equivalent performance and a better warranty

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • If priced the same I'll take less performance for a better warranty

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • The warranty doesn't factor at all

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Select the option below that answer the question: Have you ever used the warranty on a rod

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 25.6%

• Total voters

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
The "Getting into fly fishing cheap" thread got me wondering. I know a good warranty is a great thing especially with a fragile, stiff noodle that you swing back in the trees. That said how many have ever used them? Do you care if your rod has a top of the line warranty? Are you willing to pay $200-300 more for an equivalent rod with a no-fault warranty? Select one option from the top and one from the bottom.

Discuss

spm

Reaction score
I used my Orvis warranty one time. I had broken my beloved 90s era Clearwater rod, through my own fault. Broke my heart as well as my rod.

Called Orvis; no problem.

Thanks,
steve

p.s. Still miss that rod.

satyr

Reaction score
Used my warranty 3 times. I broke my Sage last year and have had 2 friends break tips off rods I was letting them use, one from Scott and one from Winston. It is so much nicer to spend 50 or 100 bucks for a working rod then to have to pay full price again.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have never used a warranty on any rod. I have broken a few though and the companies involved just repaired or replaced regardless of warranty...I have had only good experiences with rod companies.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I bought a rod on Amazon and it broke when I tried it out in the backyard (just a simple cast, there was obviously a defect in that section). The manufacturer did not respond to my emails, so I returned it through Amazon. Does that count as using the warranty?

mka

Reaction score
I have used my warranty with both Sage and Orvis one time each. They made the repairs and returned the rod back to me in a very short turnaround. I was very pleased with the repairs from both companies...very professional and helpful. That being said, I don't buy a rod for the warranty...if I like a rod, I will purchase it regardless of warranty.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Over the years I've broken 10 fly rods. Most had no warranty to begin with but a few I just fixed myself because it was easier that way.
Three had manufacturers defects and were replaced without question
I'm not big on the whole warranty system at all. People need to be responsible for their own actions.
When you buy a new washing machine or TV the extended warranty is an option, not mandatory.
I shouldn't be required to buy "rod insurance" that I don't intend to use.

pnc

Reaction score
Used full warranty and $30.- replacement.
Think to much credence is given to difference in performance based on price. The performance differences of new rods are minimal regardless of price or warrenty. Differences in performance nowdays is splitting hairs.
A question that makes more sense to me would be this.
Would you rather spend $800.- and get a free lifetime replacement. Or $200.- and get a lifetime warranty that will cost you $30.- if you ever need it ?
IBecause , the differences between rods would never be know by 99 out of 100 if blindfolded.

........ pc

mikechell

Reaction score
Those of you who "know" me (as well as one can online) know that I don't pay much for anything. I'm cheap, I admit it. I have a absolute blast fishing with my $100.00 or less rod/reel combos. Your options for warranties would cost more than my whole outfit does.
Like sunglasses ... I'll buy 10 pair, a new pair every year for 10 years, and still not spend nearly what others have paid. I have not, personally, met ANYONE who could keep a pair of glasses in good shape for ten years, no matter what they paid for them.

I can say the same thing for fly rods. I can buy new rod/reel combos for less than your warranty options ... and buy a new one every year for several years if I wanted to. But most of my rods, now, are 3 to 5 years old or more.

hokiehunter07

Reaction score
My question was posed because I often see people push brand X over brand Y to a new user based on warranty. This is especially true with waders. That said I'm of the opinion of many that have responded. I'd rather take care of my gear, do my own repairs if possible, and pay a substantially reduced price because of it. I've had reel seats come off of rods before. A little epoxy and she was good as new. No sense sending something in. If I roll the tip up in a window or bang a clouser on the shaft, I'd rather buy a new section if possible or just not be as careless.

MY ultimate point is unless someone is coming out bragging about wanting to drop thousands on equipment to get into fly fishing, don't talk excessive details. My TFO rods perform pretty well at a great price. They have a warranty but it's not an Orvis level warranty. I'm fine with that. The Recon is a better rod in many categories over the TFO BVK. Both are considered mid-grade rods although the BVK is about half the price. If someone were to ask me to specifically weigh in on those two rods warranty would not be a factor I discussed at all. IF they're like I was when I bought my BVK I'd prefer they take the extra $250 and buy waders and boots. That way they could spend time on the water rather than having a rod who's strengths they might not actually be able to take full advantage of.

For some reason fly fishing consumers are obsessed with warranties. It's one of the things that drives prices up but I doubt nearly as many people actually use the warranty as care about it.

Hokie.

plecain

Reaction score
Sage twice. Broke the tip on a ONE 486-4. Also the tip on a TXL-F 1710-4.
Echo once. The tip on a Shadow. They couldn't fix it so I got an Echo3 376-4 in exchange.
Cabelas once. Broke an 8 wt the first time I cast it. Refunded my $150.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I’ve used my warranty three times on the same rod.

I won’t buy a rod without some sort of warranty replacement deal.

I don’t understand the pricing displayed on the poll due to the fact I have no idea how the manufacturer prices the warranty into their product.

I did not answer that. Just yes I use the warranty. I’ve lost rods I’ve loved due to no warranty and too much cost to replace.

No I’m not going to pay more for a warranty. I won’t buy any rod without a warranty.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Over the years I've broken 10 fly rods. Most had no warranty to begin with but a few I just fixed myself because it was easier that way.
Three had manufacturers defects and were replaced without question
I'm not big on the whole warranty system at all. People need to be responsible for their own actions.
When you buy a new washing machine or TV the extended warranty is an option, not mandatory.
I shouldn't be required to buy "rod insurance" that I don't intend to use.
This is the truth. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Why should I pay for the angler that treats his equipment poorly and has used warranties multiples of times? Maybe they should get "dropped" LOL. I shouldn't have to pay for that persons accidents or poor habits. I think the first rod company that offers a rod and an optional additional insurance will make a killing. It would be nice to know exactly how much warranty is actually built into the price. May be a lot less than what I think. IDK And the warranty should follow the original purchaser, not the rod.

fr8dog

Reaction score
The last one I broke snapped within 5 minutes of being rigged. Got maybe 40' of line out and there was a 'crunch'. I'm thinking it wasn't my fault and the warranty should handle it. It did. I had no regerts.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I have never used a warranty on any rod. I have broken a few though and the companies involved just repaired or replaced regardless of warranty...I have had only good experiences with rod companies.
Are you saying that you broke a rod that had no warranty and the company still repaired or replaced it? Which companies?

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I used my Orvis 25 year warranty. Got the rod in maybe 1990 and smashed it in the tailgate of my ‘82 Chevy Blazer in 1992. Returned it in the nice aluminum rod tube per instructions and got a new one back. Except this one is in a cloth and pvc tube. Not as nice, but over the years, I’ve grown happy to have it with all the banging around it gets when I travel! Speaking of which...I’m leaving Sunday for a trip to Utah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
I’ve broken two rods. One was my very first fly rod. I bought that Targus Gary Borger Pro 7 weight off STP as a combo at a big discount. This was my learning how to cast rod. I know I had some pretty significant lead head clouser strikes on the rod during that phase.

I hard trout set an oyster reef. Snapped the section below the tip section. Somehow, I got Gary Borger’s email address and emailed him with the particulars. He directed my to the Fly Shop in Redding. This rod was a close out, discontinued model. The fly shop has some left over rod sections. $25 later, I had a fixed rod. No warranty, just some awesome folks that helped me out.

Broke a 7/8 CGR, totally my bad, and I fixed that myself.

I’m not someone that will ever get anything close to the maximum out of a high priced model. An $800 rod would be a total waste on me. I’m just not that good of a caster and sort of don’t care about being a whole lot better. I cast good enough to catch fish where I live and that’s good enough for me. That has lead me to select lower priced rods. I like having a lot of weight options on rods for different fish and applications.

I have some mid priced models, but got those before I realized where I want to be rod wise. Everyone learns and evolves and I’m just not into the high end gear so much. I enjoy the lower priced models and would rather have more of those than a few high end rods that would be the wrong taper or just wasted on me. So if I can pick up a rod for less than $100 and hopefully far below that, I’m good with the no warranty. Use it, don’t worry too much about it, catch some fish, life is good.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I've broken TFO and Sage rods and had great experiences with those being replaced or repaired quickly. TFO is very fast, you get a new rod in less than a week. Sage takes longer, but they of course are building new sections sometimes. Last they built an entire bottom section for my 586-2 RPL, which for those who don't know is about 30 years old. The new section included a new reel seat and cork, and fresh graphite for the entire bottom end. It was funny because the top section was obviously well seasoned, faded, with a flat finish from wear. The bottom end was glossy and pristine. It didn't bother me though.

That being said, I don't buy rods without warranties and never will, and I'll happily pay at least $100 more for a good warranty.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
If I were buying something for, say, $100 or less, I'd be okay with no warranty, but once you get up over $200 or so, I want a warranty. I just broke a BVK after three years. I was not careless. It just snapped on a cast. Not sure why; I was not abusing it, but rods do get knocked around in a kayak. Sh*t happens. $35 and I got a new section matched perfectly to the rest of the rod. They even added alignment dots (at my request) that had not come on the rod. So for the $35 repair cost I have a functioning rod that would have cost $280 to replace. Money well spent. Same with a couple of Sage reels. Repaired for $35 when they would have cost a couple hundred to replace. I did snap a rod in a screen door. I will admit that was my fault, but Grey's did not care; $35 and I got a new rod section on a rod that would have cost $200 to replace. There is really no reason to buy a rod without a warranty. Even Echo's or Allen's $100 rods have good warranties. The exception would be used gear, and then it is just a cost-benefit issue and whether I am willing to either lose it or pay to replace it if broken.

Bottom line is that I look on the warranty as a testament to the manufacturer's trust in its product. A rod maker (or manufacturer of anything) who does not offer a warranty has no confidence in the product... so why wold I? A one-year warranty tells me that the manufacturer only trusts the product for a year. A lifetime (or 25-year for Orvis) warranty tells that the manufacturer trusts the quality of the product... and stands behind it if it fails. I buy gear hoping to never need the warranty, but the fact that it has the warranty tells me that the maker believes in it. They'd go broke putting lifetime warranties on crappy goods.... but Sage, Orvis, Loomis, TFO, etc, all stay in business despite good warranties, which tells me that I can trust the products.

Most of my gear is mid-priced (or less), but I have some top-tier items. I like nice gear, and I appreciate the workmanship that goes into a high-end rod or reel, but I don't want to keep it in a display case. Fly gear is meant to be used, and sometimes in harsh conditions, but some of the best performing gear can also be fragile. I appreciate knowing that I can use it the way it is intended to be used, but if something happens to it, I can get it repaired or replaced without paying another full price.