Leader Tippet Gauge?

Capt No Slack

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a leader/tipper diameter gauge such at the "Mike-Rite"

Are these useful tools or am I wasting my money? Is there some other alternative method for measuring line diameter? (digital caliper, perhaps?)

I am thinking this could be useful if using knotless tapered leaders.

For example, If Im fishing 5X knotless tapered leader. After you cut off and retie several times your 5X knotless tapered leader may actually by 3X or Larger! Thus, I was thinking, A tippet/leader gauge come in handy for letting me know when to add 5X tippet back to my knotless tapper leader.

thanks

spm

Reaction score
Capt,

I would never advise against buying fly fishing gear, as I am the epitome of "More equipment than brains". But, before you buy a gauge, try this; before fishing your 5X tapered leader, tie on an additional 18"of 5X tippet. Then you are only cutting off this tippet. When you get down to this knot, tie on another tippet. This way you save your tapered leader.

steve

silver creek

Reaction score
I bought one when I first started fly fishing. It really helped me as a beginner so I say get one. Now I rarely use it. I can tell the "X" rating of tippet by the feel and look. If you carry tippet spools, you can also compare the known diameter of the tippet in the spools with the leader.

flytie09

Reaction score
It may help in the beginning.... but I’m thinking it would be another unused tool in short order.

I say learn the feel of what a line is and what tippet you can effectively tie to it . I will tie 2-3x max jump in leader-to-tippet junction knots. But it definitely takes a little more time and practice.

I do exactly as Steve suggests. I never find myself scratching my head wondering what I can tie to what.

Or you can make your own leaders and you’ll know exactly what they are at each section. Place them in a little ziploc with a note on your leader construction formula jotted down on a piece of paper and bingo.

I do something similar for my sink tips and then some. I make my own sink tips. T material is all the same color and it’s hard to distinguish its sink rate visually. I developed a color coding system, use colored shrink tube, and laminated a cheat sheet I keep in my leader wallet.

Just a thought.

ft09

jr spey

Reaction score
I bought a Mitutoyo dial micrometer probably thirty years ago. I still find myself using it quite a bit though not as much as I did when I first purchased it. I'm sure the same thing is available these days as a digital. Like my digital line scale, both have become trusted tools.

pnc

Reaction score
Calipers or micrometers will work. But not good on water. I cut back tapered leaders to 8 maybe 7 1/2'. Loop end then attach attach tippet via loop. Carry pre tied tippets. Bimini both ends , if not using shock tippet just cut off knot at one end and tie on fly.

....... pc

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Capt,

I would never advise against buying fly fishing gear, as I am the epitome of "More equipment than brains". But, before you buy a gauge, try this; before fishing your 5X tapered leader, tie on an additional 18"of 5X tippet. Then you are only cutting off this tippet. When you get down to this knot, tie on another tippet. This way you save your tapered leader.

steve
Excellent advice. Only thing I’d add is a tippet ring at the end of the leader. Then you’ll never cut back the leader tying on the tippet sections.

planettrout

Reaction score
Let' see here...I got this back in 1976 when Ned Grey had his shop down the road in Montrose, CA. I have used it a lot, through the years, to build leaders for fishing soft hackle fly patterns using Ray Bergman, Joe Humphrey and George Harvey leader formulas...

PT/TB:thmbup:

silver creek

Reaction score
Let' see here...I got this back in 1976 when Ned Grey had his shop down the road in Montrose, CA. I have used it a lot, through the years, to build leaders for fishing soft hackle fly patterns using Ray Bergman, Joe Humphrey and George Harvey leader formulas...

PT/TB:thmbup:
The plastic on mine is all yellowed and cracked from years of hanging from my vest. Yours is still museum quality.

lanyard

Reaction score
I have the tippet gauge shaped like a little fish. It has a small blade on it for cutting line and also serves as a bottle opener. I kinda like it.

markfrid

Reaction score
Like others have said - tie a piece of tippet on to your new tapered leader. You'll be sure of having a good quality tippet and... you'll know what the diameter is because its on the spool. The stated measurements are pretty darn accurate for practical fishing purposes. Down the road, when you find your knotless tapered leaders don't handle how you'd like, you can start tying up your own tapered leaders and never have to worry about buying the right knotless taper again. Hooray!

Now, you say, what if I don't remember what X tippett I tied on? That is a point. Then you'll want your gauge. Or you can hold up your leader tippet next to your spool of tippet material and compare them side by side. In a good light, you can tell if they are the same.

Mark

kevin2

Reaction score
I've used furls for several years, liked them, but last season I started buying Orvis leaders again. I nipped them back a foot or 2, then tied on a super small tippet ring. From there I tied on my tippet to that ring. After the tied on tippet gets to short from changing out a few flies, you just nip that section off the tippet ring AND tie another new length on. THE leader stays the identical length. I went threw no more leaders then just the 1 I tied onto each reel. I took them out just today and made sure that they all had a new fresh length of tippet of my choosing on them. Best set up change I've made in years.

I used 2mm ones for most of my rigs. JUST about a dollar per ring, so don't let them fall out of your hands while tying on!