Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

Or an Okuma Helios....
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

Default Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

A large arbor for a 4w is not overkill. It all depends on the reel. Cheap inexpensive reels- yes, upper end reels -no. The weight difference is noticable as is the balance.
    FWIW, whether or not you get a regular or large arbor, get a good reel.
    A good reel with extra spools can outfit different weights of rods. I don't imagine your 4w will be the last rod you'll ever buy.
    I have an LRH with 4 spools. 3w,4w, and two (different) 5w lines on them
    I fish with cane and glass, and faster graphite rods in 3,4,5w mostly. I have over 20 reels from large arbor to regular in 3w to 8w, and I'd have to say the Hardy is my favorite (it's not so cheap thou) and next is my J.W. Young Condex from the '60's.
    Just more fodder to kickaround from the higher end side of it.
    (You can probably buy 8 Okuma's or Ross Headstarts for the price of one Hardy, or Abel and they'll probably do you justice, but the Hardy or Abel you'll pass on down the family line and fish it with pride- hopefully)
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

3. Default Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

I have a Flystart 1, and it is a decent reel.

4. Default Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

This is probably to cheap for you but I love mine on my 6wt bream rod. A crystal River. Get the #1. Cheap, extreamly light (made of composite material), no drag but does have clicker. But hey, like you said "it's just a place to store line." I paid around $10 bucks for mine on ebay and I bet it doesn't weigh anymore than my rod. Makes for a super light panfish rig.(and from some of the pictures I see of them trout those fellows up north catch it may be over kill.)

Nick

5. Default Re: Fly Reel for a 4wt

Hey Guys, I didn't mean to kill the thread. Axel27 said he wanted a cheap real for panfish. I just told him my choice. I'm sure there are others.
    Carry on, carry off, carry me back....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12