Real world reviews of the Redington Vice.

thumper360

Reaction score
I'm looking for a fly rod around the 200 dollar mark. After tons of research, I keep coming up with the Redington Vice. I have never owned a Redington rod, but have had a few different Redington reels and I have been extremely happy with them for the money. I have read rave reviews on the Vice, but they are from websites that you never know if they are paid to endorse or paid to positively review the rod. Does anyone have any real world experience with the Redington Vice? And if so, what did you think about the rod? Thank you in advance guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brownbass

Reaction score
Thumper, Why don't you post this question in the fly rod thread you may get more replies. I have cast a Vice but I won't comment on it. Most of the remarks I have read are positive.

Bill

smoke33

Reaction score
Good advise, I know several people that love their Fenwick Aetos.

Bill
In the reviews I have looked through as well as the Yellowstone Shootout, I am always impressed with how well the Echo Base does for a fraction of the cost of the competition. It may not be in the top 10 but if you just look at the numbers it puts up and compare to the upper 10, it’s not far off for only a fraction of their cost. The Aetos does very well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I have the 8 weight Vice. I bought it for my very occasional trips to the salt and for freshwater stripers and hybrid bass. It is excellent as far as performance goes. I don't care for the aesthetics one much (I like the green color derived from the skoal cans and the reel seat, but despise the tacky "Vice" logo derived from a video game called Grand Theft Auto Vice City), but it fishes well. The components aren't bullet proof, but they're more than serviceable. It is crisp, accurate, and I can cast it right into the backing with a streamer along for the ride. It's a stiff rod, so if you're wanting something for dry flies I'd go with the Aetos over the Vice, but if you want something for all around fishing with indicators, heavy nymphs, streamers, and the occasional dry, it'll be good. The higher weights are great for streamers. I hear the 7 weight is particularly nice.

flav

Reaction score
My son has the 8'6" 3 wt and I've cast it a few times on the river, but haven't landed a fish on it. It's a nice rod, pretty fast and responsive. It's stiffer than I'd like in a light dry fly rod, but I think the heavier rods would be nice all around trout rods. I like Redington, they're owned by Sage, so you see some great technology in less expensive packages.

When my son was interested in the vice I went into a shop to check them out because he was so set on a rod I'd never heard of, and he said he'd heard so much good stuff about it. I mentioned to the guy at the shop that my son was interested in a specific fly rod he said, "Let me guess, the vice, right?" He then told me how it seemed that Redington was appealing to younger fly fishermen by using social media as it's means of advertising, and almost every guy under the age of 25 that came into the shop looking for a new rod was interested in the vice. Of course that doesn't make it a bad rod, the guy at the shop admitted he had one and liked it, but he said there were other moderately priced rods he liked more. I don't know if that helps, but I thought it was interesting.

Last edited: