Potential problems

boser

Reaction score
I am planning a Turkey Hunt/Fly Fish trip and I need to take a shorter rod with me to fish this creek that has some lovely Brown Trout. I have a 7 ft 6 3 wt but I do not have a 3 wt reel to put on it at this time because my 3 wt is on loan. What problems should I encounter using a 5 wt reel on a 3 wt rod.

Should I consider under lining the 5 wt reel?

I'm a little inexperienced in this situation .

Thanks in advance, Boser

ant

Reaction score
What kind of reel would you be using?

Since your using a 7'6" rod, I would assume that your fishing smaller waters. I have an old 7wt reel that I have spooled with 3 wt line and I haven't had any issues. But I use it to fish smaller waters only (less than 10' wide) and it only serves to hold the line. If your going to be fighting fish on the reel, you might have some issues.

boser

Reaction score
What kind of reel would you be using?

Since your using a 7'6" rod, I would assume that your fishing smaller waters. I have an old 7wt reel that I have spooled with 3 wt line and I haven't had any issues. But I use it to fish smaller waters only (less than 10' wide) and it only serves to hold the line. If your going to be fighting fish on the reel, you might have some issues.
Ant, This is small water 10-20 ft wide with a pretty good current. Most of the fish I've caught were in the 15 inch range Brown Trout. So I guess it would be kind of a Hold your Line " type application. Oh and I would be using an ALLEN TROUT series

I really appreciate the feedback. I also appreciate the flies you tied for some of the swaps.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
What problems should I encounter using a 5 wt reel on a 3 wt rod.
  • Balance will be off.
  • Line will load up the rod more.

Should I consider under lining the 5 wt reel?
If this is a one time deal, stick with the five weight line. Modern graphite is highly resilient. Also the extra line mass will definitely let you know that your rod is loaded. Keep in mind that in creek situations, you don't aerialize a lot of line. A 15 to 20 foot cast is a long cast in that situation.

I have fished my 8'3" 3 weight with my 5 weight reel before. It was one of those early mornings in which I grabbed the wrong reel. The casting was odd due to the overload, but it didn't ruin my day.

MP

boser

Reaction score
  • Balance will be off.
  • Line will load up the rod more.

If this is a one time deal, stick with the five weight line. Modern graphite is highly resilient. Also the extra line mass will definitely let you know that your rod is loaded. Keep in mind that in creek situations, you don't aerialize a lot of line. A 15 to 20 foot cast is a long cast in that situation.

I have fished my 8'3" 3 weight with my 5 weight reel before. It was one of those early mornings in which I grabbed the wrong reel. The casting was odd due to the overload, but it didn't ruin my day.

MP
MP, Yep, hopefully a one time deal. I usually have a 3 wt but what you point out is exactly the info I was hoping to obtain.

Thanks a bunch, Boser

ant

Reaction score
No prob.

I'm glad you liked the flies. I really liked that Yum Yum Emerger that you tied. I'm glad that you included the recipe on that one, if not you would have been hearing from me. ;)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
A simple solution may be to just 'buy' an inexpensive reel like the Phlug. Medalist. $25-$30 bucks? That said, 'up-lining' by two won't hurt the rod a bit; the extra 'grains' given the short nature of the casting you'll be doing may actually be beneficial.