Anyone read Chico Fernandez red fish book?

jspfishing

Reaction score
New to VA, I am surrounded by numerous types of species. Although, I am more interested in saltwater fishing and redfish is one of my primary targets this year. Anyone read it? or should I just focus on articles online.

pnc

Reaction score
Is , Fly Fishing for Redfish , book in question ?
If so excellent book !
I doubt if net could put info together like this book. May be the book that ends all on subject. Your looking at 50 or 60 yrs of experience. That's hard to beat. Yes, imo worth every penny. For both new & old to fly fishing for reds.

....... pc

karstopo

Reaction score
New to VA, I am surrounded by numerous types of species. Although, I am more interested in saltwater fishing and redfish is one of my primary targets this year. Anyone read it? or should I just focus on articles online.
I read it. Once upon a time, I used a DVD of Chico Fernandez casting to teach myself to cast. His way of communicating the physics of the fly cast made sense to me.

The book wasn’t bad. I read it after several years of and a bunch of trips out fly fishing for redfish. A lot of what I read in the book mirrored what I had experienced.

I don’t know how I might view the book having never fly fished for redfish. Redfish were my initial focus when I began fly fishing in earnest. I think the book would have been more helpful then than when I read it years later.

When I started out fly fishing for redfish, I relied mostly on local to Texas forum pages to inform me along with some online articles. I probably learned more “on the job” out in the marsh and bay fly rod in hand than anywhere else.

I don’t see the book hurting your efforts diving into fly fishing for redfish. It will probably be helpful. Is it a must have? I going to say no.

flyminded

Reaction score
The “secret” to Redfish is finding them ....which requires understanding tides and how they impact you local waters ...and how your local reds respond to that.

I’m not sure a book will give you that ..tho it will help you to identify, in general terms, areas where Reds may frequent. If you have no experience it can’t hurt, but Reds aren’t normally the most difficult fish to catch once you find them.

denver1911

Reaction score
As a beginning redfisher, I read it. I found it useful and enjoyable.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Is , Fly Fishing for Redfish , book in question ?
If so excellent book !
I doubt if net could put info together like this book. May be the book that ends all on subject. Your looking at 50 or 60 yrs of experience. That's hard to beat. Yes, imo worth every penny. For both new & old to fly fishing for reds.

....... pc
I like books, I enjoy my tying books, but I also rely a lot of info online. Wasn’t sure if the info in the web outweighed the books info. Yea I agree, 50+ years of xp is hard to beat. Thanks

The “secret” to Redfish is finding them ....which requires understanding tides and how they impact you local waters ...and how your local reds respond to that.

I’m not sure a book will give you that ..tho it will help you to identify, in general terms, areas where Reds may frequent. If you have no experience it can’t hurt, but Reds aren’t normally the most difficult fish to catch once you find them.
Good call. Yea every area is different. I just need to meet the right people locally to help spin me up. I actually heard they were pretty easy to get a strike once you find them. Thanks

As a beginning redfisher, I read it. I found it useful and enjoyable.
Cool. I like books. I enjoy my saltwater tying books and was wondering if I can get the same out of fishing books. I know there’s a lot online, but was just wondering if there’s some additional info not really mentioned that often. Thanks. Good luck with reds this season.

pnc

Reaction score
Last April (I think) had conversation with, Chico. About leader lenght and spooky reds in Tampa bay. He brought up point about clear lines. Something I hadn't thought about in years.
Even the most experienced red fisher. Will find things forgotten or never known in this book. As far as books on fish, and fishing for them goes. This ones worth the money & enjoyable reading.

...... pc

Rip Tide

Reaction score
or should I just focus on articles online.
Fly fishing books are written by experts.
They're researched, edited and mulled over for months or even years

Anyone one can write an on-line article no matter their experience or qualifications.

Remember what Abraham Lincoln famously said:

Attachments