Stream vs. Pond technique

catchthefish

Reaction score
I am primarily used to streams. I may be reaching competence on streams. I now have access to a pond. The pond has bass, bluegill, carp, and catfish. I am thinking of utilizing the pond to get better at casting and hook setting. Will fishing the pond translate at all to streams or is the technique way different? I welcome any input. I am likely to target bass on a 5 weight. However, the carp are allegedly huge. Should I instead go with my 8 weight in case a huge carp decides to hit on my fly? I know the flies for targeting both fish types are different, but this is a rarely fished pond, so I have concerns of how to approach it when it comes to rod choice. Pond depth extends to about 3 feet for the first 2.5 feet out before dropping to 11 feet depth and wading is not allowed. Hopefully, this is helpful information. I look forward to a response on technique approach.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

When it comes to rods and unknown results when you feel a fish I always go with the heavier rod. Of course you'll catch small fish but when the big one comes along you won't be worried about bending the rod.

Ard

fr8dog

Reaction score
I'd go with the 5 at first with a few small poppers and bugger/streamers. Get a feel for it and see what bites. How is the cover? Weeds, sticks, moss that could cause problems for a lighter rod and leader? Then the 8 would come in handy. Is the water clear? Bass aren't really line shy so heavier leaders help.

In OK I rarely throw top water stuff. Streamers mostly. I switch between 2 rods. One with a floating line and one with a sink tip. Count it down and find a depth and speed they want. I concentrate on the line watching for any bump or movement indicating a strike rather than feel. A quick strip set works better for me.

I don't fish moving water at all. In still water, be the bait! You impart the action to the fly. Some days it's slow and subtle, others they'll hit anything.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If this is truly bass fishing with a fair chance of carp on the side I vote for the 8WT. It will throw flies you would typically throw at nicer LM bass. If it turns into a panfishing adventure Id have a 5WT handy. Catching panfish on an 8WT makes me yawn. That's completely a personal preference of course.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I love pond fishing.I agree if targeting bass and carp go with the 8wt.The main difference will be the current.In a stream the bass will position themselves just out of the current.They will sit behind objects that deflect the current or in bends where current is slack.They will let the current bring the food to them.In the pond without the current they will stage themselves in any type cover they can find and wait to ambush food as it passes by them.You can use the same flies as stream fishing but cast around brush piles or downed trees extending into the water.Without the current you will have to put the action into the fly to convince them it is real food.Sometimes even a rock in the water will hold several bass.I have caught them even casting around debris floating in the pond.Undercut banks or points extending into the pond will also hold fish.Early morning or late evening is a great time to catch bass on the prowl and topwater flies are excellent at these times.
Carp are a little different.You need to be on your game and in stealth mode for them.If you see them cruising the edges,try casting well in front of them and let them find your fly.It does not take much to spook them and they will alert the others.If they spot you or get a glimpse of your shadow it's over.

catchthefish

Reaction score
Fr8dog: No cover at all. Basically, a pond in a field. Thanks for the still water advice.

All: Thanks for advice.

sawinredneck

Reaction score
Being in KS this is something I can actually share some information on! Unless you are throwing large streamers, mouse patterns, etc., to target larger bass or catfish, I’d stick with the 5wt. Dries, wooly buggers, leech paterns and baitfish streamers would be where I’d start. Bluegill will flat tear up dries, you may even drop to a 3wt because you are having so much fun! Medium sized bass like the leech and woolly bugger paterns and in the right mood will tear up streamers, but you’ll have to all but put the streamers in front of them to anger them into bitting. I don’t think you’ll enjoy swinging that 8wt much for this.
Carp, for such an ugly fish that no one wants to eat, are sure hard to catch! Sometimes dries but most often I’d suggest an egg type pattern in yellow, around here at least. Think canned corn if you will.
I’m planning to target catfish this summer if time permits. I’ve already talked to hartwig50 about some patterns just for that, need to get him some money. I have two 8wts just for this a 7’6” and a 9’. But this will be mouse patters, large streamers etc. large bait for the large fish.
Also remember you are the only action the bait sees on still water, you’ll be doing a lot of stripping fishing these waters. Look for lily pads, weed beds, cotton tails and any shade. With a decent leader, 6-9’, you really wont need a sinking tip, most bass and bluegill will be in the 3-6’ water mark in farm ponds. Work the banks, work out from a starting point towards the center, then work both sides of the bank. Remember, they guys in the boats are throwing to the bank, not the center of the lake.
So there ya go, I’d start with the 5wt and small to medium flys, if you are regularly breaking off or catching abnormaly large fish, then go bigger. I’d suggest a strip, pause, strip, pause technique, most of your hits will be on the pause so be ready to set the hook. With dries, if the bluegill are biting, the fly won’t hardly hit the water before getting smashed. I’ve had so much fun with bluegill the last few years I bought a 3wt just for them. Just remember with bluegill, if they aren’t biting they don’t like your bait because they are almost always biting!
Hope this helps.