For the Love of God!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dean_mt

Reaction score
There are more than enough threads about fly line weights, about fast rods, and about over-lining rods!

Use the search function and read till you're hearts content. Please. Sheesh.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I’m waiting for a thread about line color. Weights and tapers are so yesterday. I want to hear all about the important difference between sea foam and mint green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikechell

Reaction score
Soooo ... if you over-line a fast rod with one line weight higher in peach colored line, will it respond the same as if you over-lined it with seafoam green line?
What if the line color clashes with the color of the rod, but it's the perfect weight line for the application?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny,

I was messaging a few hours ago with another member about the good old days when we had threads with advice on technique, approach and presentation. Heck, I used to write huge posts about fishing but as time went by fewer people seemed to care and many seemed reluctant to take any advice. We have become a forum about keeping a "Thigamabobber" from sliding when you cast and Rod vs. Rod - Line vs. Line threads.

I stopped posting to the Spey threads because my way of fishing is too complicated and may take longer than a few weeks to master. My posts became an irritant to people who want to discuss only ultra short head lines so I have remained quiet for quite some while. Every now and then I post something no longer relevant just to kill threads.

Carry on,

Ard

Last edited:

littledavid123

Reaction score
Soooo ... if you over-line a fast rod with one line weight higher in peach colored line, will it respond the same as if you over-lined it with seafoam green line?
What if the line color clashes with the color of the rod, but it's the perfect weight line for the application?
Depends if sunny or overcast with special consideration for the ambient temp and the heat absorption rate of each color. Difficult at best to give an accurate assessment without these data sets.

Dave

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I really don’t like over lining a rod. At all. If you don’t like a fast rod buy something with medium action with the right taper.

Lines, leaders, sink tips and flies. I bought a grain scale. No more mystery.

Untitled by Steve Bauer

My intruder weighs 38.8 grains, everyday of the week.

plecain

Reaction score
Haven't we always said it would be nice if more women were interested in fly fishing?

A good discussion of line/rod/reel/fly colors should help with that.

And, the men will learn about a whole set of colors they never knew existed.

JDR

Reaction score
Isn''t the whole thing a balancing act? Creators of the board want more posters, because their questions can be interesting and the higher the numbers of visitors, the larger the payment for advertising. Long time members get bored with the same questions and reduce their posting or start giving curt, snippy responses. New guys float away feeling like they stepped on someone's toes. Long time members wonder why there is no activity on the board as they have enough answers and experience that they don't need to post questions anymore. Then they drift on to a board with something new to offer. That's when you know NAFFF has jumped the shark. Are we there?

karstopo

Reaction score
I really don’t mind the threads about whatever, overlining, line color, even if they get somewhat redundant. I have my experiences, you have yours, sometimes they jive, sometimes they clash. For me, it’s not a contest. I can never see where someone else’s ideas and experiences, on a fishing site, get to be so annoying or threatening that I’m going to lose my mind and self control over it.

It’s fly fishing. People do it in lot’s of different ways with lots of different gear. Not one person here has done it all. They might have caught just about every fish, but not in every place and in every way. So if someone underlines for this or that with this or that rod or always stays true to line weight or always overlines, they have their reasons and it’s not anything to blow a fuse about.

flyminded

Reaction score
Isn''t the whole thing a balancing act? Creators of the board want more posters, because their questions can be interesting and the higher the numbers of visitors, the larger the payment for advertising. Long time members get bored with the same questions and reduce their posting or start giving curt, snippy responses. New guys float away feeling like they stepped on someone's toes. Long time members wonder why there is no activity on the board as they have enough answers and experience that they don't need to post questions anymore. Then they drift on to a board with something new to offer. That's when you know NAFFF has jumped the shark. Are we there?
A) I read the threads I choose to read.....maybe browse others in search of education but if it’s a topic that doesn’t peek my interest I move on.

B) Winter time on every board I’ve ever been on always gets a little, how can I put this, “stale” or “repetitive” .....then you get the trolls that have nothing better to do as well.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I saw my first pink fly rod this year, would using that affect my manliness or presentation.
Should it be overlined? I like white backing although I rarely see it come off the reel, still I think it adds something to my reel.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I’m waiting for a thread about line color. Weights and tapers are so yesterday. I want to hear all about the important difference between sea foam and mint green.
'Sobvious. Sea Foam is for saltwater, Mint Green for fresh. Don't you know nuffink? :p

Ard wrote:
Every now and then I post something no longer relevant just to kill threads.
flyminded wrote:
.....then you get the trolls that have nothing better to do as well.
That's no way to talk about an Administrator!
;)

Ard, mate, don't forget you're forever addressing a new audience and one which, often, doesn't use the search facility! Keep the technical stuff ongoing, it's worth the read for some of us.

I don't mind the multitude of line threads. We all want what's best for our particular rod and our chosen tactics. Money's often short so folk get specific and for many the line is a more important choice than the reel - or should be, imo. It's understandable, particularly with newcomers. You can pick up a nice enough rod and reel pretty easily but the technicalities of the multitude of lines available to us today must be bewildering to begin with.
If I can't help or don't feel in the giving vein I just skip the thread and move on but, hey, is 'Forum Fatigue' a recognised medical syndrome yet? :fish:

myt1

Reaction score
Funny,

I was messaging a few hours ago with another member about the good old days when we had threads with advice on technique, approach and presentation. Heck, I used to write huge posts about fishing but as time went by fewer people seemed to care and many seemed reluctant to take any advice. We have become a forum about keeping a "Thigamabobber" from sliding when you cast and Rod vs. Rod - Line vs. Line threads.

I stopped posting to the Spey threads because my way of fishing is too complicated and may take longer than a few weeks to master. My posts became an irritant to people who want to discuss only ultra short head lines so I have remained quiet for quite some while. Every now and then I post something no longer relevant just to kill threads.

Carry on,

Ard
Ard,

I have your thread "Getting It Down" saved to my favorites. I enjoyed it very much.

yikes

Reaction score
I've been on NAFFF for several years now. I notice that these kinds of discussions have generally occurred around late winter/ early spring. Combination of cabin fever, high runoff, getting close to start of the season. Focusing on gear, be it the details of line weight or the benefits of a $70 nipper, seems to be how we pass the time until we can hit the water again.

Status
Not open for further replies.