Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  45
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Barbless Hook Performance - lost fish

Corn fed , nail it. Hook sets land fish.
    So called scientific studies are dismissed by me almost immediately. Or shortly after seeing practicaly one of four fish is lost. Because of no barbs. Wow..... to me that says. We're not to good. Regardless of who's saying it. I think I'd have a better ratio using a fly tied on a safety pin.
    I went barbless in the late 70's. Dropping a fish is rare when I want to! I try almost every time I'm fishing. Throwing slack into line trying to shake off fish. Might happen 2 or 3 times in a year. Usually a red fish, stops and rubs it out. I've caught fish the next day. Removed barbless hook from day before and fly on line at the time.
    Hook sets catch fish. And sharp hooks catch more.

....... pc

2. Likes flyminded, PASTERCASTER liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pnc View Post
    Hook sets catch fish. And sharp hooks catch more.
    you betcha!

When I fish wth my son or my wife I can't believe how many fish they lose, even with barbed hooks. I've watched them miss fish after fish and their hooksets are slow and weak, if they happen at all. One day with my wife she landed a single fish during a strong bwo hatch, missing rise after rise and then losing most of the few she did hook even though I was at her elbow coaching her about line control and telling her when to set the hook. After an hour or so she gave up and told me to fish. I landed over 50 rainbows (my wife kept count) and I hardly lost any with the same rod and fly she had been using.

I would say that losing a saltwater fish on a barbless hook is harder, due mainly to 2 issues (a) strip setting a tight line and (b) saltwater fish once hooked tend to run ...allowing one to “set” the hook deeper. Yes they have some tricks but my perception is that barb or barbless in salt I land the about same percentage - I spend 50 (ish) days a year chasing Redfish or Bonefish.

Trout, ( again about 50ish days a year) my experience with TMC barbless hooks is not as impressive, even allowing for science and statistics, there are just some hook models that I have used from them (not the competition models) that just don’t seem effective for me regardless of all the other variables.

5. Likes karstopo liked this post

Harder in saltwater to loose fish ? Maybe, but strip setting is often the last thing wanted. Tight lines hook most saltwater fish because of their tendancy to turn after striking. Strip setting does have its place. But very often is the reason inexperienced anglers miss hook-ups.
    Fish running also may help planting a hook. Though I think the diffrences between fresh & salt hook ups. More specifically freshwater trout vs anything. Is the soft flesh of a trouts mouth.
    Hook ups occur regularly. Then light wire hooks are ripped through & out of mouth. Outfitters in PA called it ".ripping lips" , years back.
    I believe this is the case for most trout lost. And in part the reason for the debate over barbed vs non barbed hooks. Anyone that fishes for trout. Has probably hooked a fish and landed a set of lips. If consevation or catch & release are any part of picture. Most will lay blame on something other than themselves. Thinking of a fish swimming away to die doesn't sit well with me. Nor others also. Most don't like admitting this to themselves. But it is part of trout fishing like it or not.
    Most studies on barbed vs non-barbed hooks. That I've seen , all seem to use trout as subjects. I wonder why ? (not really)

........ pc

I just got back from my fishing trip to Hot Creek, near Mammoth Lakes. It's open all year round but with some strict regulations like catch and release, barbless hooks only. I caught about 30 trout (including 5 brown) in two days. After caught 20 I actually stopped counting so could've been more. When I started fly fishing 2 years I was only able to get one of ten trout (that rose) to into the net. But this trip the ratio improved to 50% or even better. I would think two things that might contribute to this improvement. One is I use better flies (tied with better hooks) and I even sharpen the hooks myself before fishing trip. Another factor is big lateral hooksets (not quite sure that this is another reason for the improvement but I certainly lose far less fish).

In early February I had an opportunity to fly fish in Pensacola, Florida. I used my 5wt fresh water fly rod with 6wt floating line because I didn't want to buy another rod for just that trip. Interestingly for 2 hours of salt water fishing I didn't lose any fish at all. I was successfully able to get all the fish to beach, including one big 33" Red fish. The only reason I could think of was that those salt water fish were more aggressive than fresh water trout, so they hooked themselves up deeply and tightly.

I learned on & only ever used barbless (for freshwater fly fishing). Keep them sharp & the tips up & no reel issues for me. I think they sink in better/easier, so more hooks get set. They remove from fisherman much easier & less painfully as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I admit I am still pinching barbs. I'd be interested in trying a few packs of the hooks you guys are describing. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Same here. Gonna try some.

10. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567