Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tandem rig question

I agree that when the second fly is tied onto the first fly, the most common fly hit is the second fly (both flies being nymphs). When I started to rig my nymph setups differently, my hook rate on the second fly has significantly increased. I believe, when you tie the second fly off the first, that first fly loses much of its movement. When that first fly is tied in a fashion that allows it to move freely, it gets hit much more often.

One the diagram below, I like option 3 & 4 the best. Also, tying the nymph on with a loop knot adds much more movement to the fly which also helps with inciting strikes.

2. Likes SteelStream liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    You've blown my mind dude. I need a drink to ponder this one...stay tuned.
    I'm buyin'!!

4. Likes flytie09 liked this post

I recently returned from a trip where we rigged the top fly on a piece of line coming off at a ninety degree angle, similar to the diagram in flytie09's thread above.

We still caught most of our fish on the bottom fly, but we seemed to also catch more fish on the top than I normally do when I attach everything in line.

6. Likes SteelStream liked this post

I'm still not sold. It's nice two agree...but I searched at length but there was no evidence contrary to how I illustrate the drift on a dual nymph rig. If Kelly Galloup tells me I'm wrong, then I'll eat my hat.

This is indeed an intriguing question either way. You guys make a compelling argument.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

8. Likes SteelStream liked this post

It is my understanding that in competitive fly fishing...something that appeals to me not at all...one is not allowed to tie the lower fly directly to the upper fly, either at the bend of the hook, or the eye of the upper fly.

The upper fly must be on a separate piece of line coming off at a ninety degree angle, as illustrated above.

The thought is: if the fish goes for the top fly but misses it, but you feel the hit, when you go to set the hook you will snag the fish with the lower fly, seeing how the lower fly is directly below the top fly and only a short distance away.

I do go through streaks where I snag a fair amount of fish. I always thought it was because I was day dreaming and my reaction time was off, but maybe it is for the reason I just mentioned.

10. Likes SteelStream, flytie09 liked this post

Well.... I’m still searching for actual underwater footage. But at 2:56 of this video.... it shows the drift as you 2 described.

I’m not ready to eat my hat quite yet... but I’m getting the salt and pepper ready.

So it seems trout are indeed reacting to the bottom fly, as it’s floating to them first in most cases. Unless you’re drop shot nymphing or high sticking / tight line nymphing. They still seem to take the bottom fly 9/10 times in any scenario do they not?

ft09

~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

12. Thanks SteelStream thanked for this post

Yeah from all I gathered the bottom fly is the one they are seeing first. I went out yesterday only used one fly and got this buck, and lost a potential personal best right after that when he jumped and threw the hook. Thanks for all the help.20180314_184257.jpg

14. Likes flytie09, kentuckysteve liked this post

Nice little piggy.

ft09

~Zane Grey

~Syd Glasso

16. Likes SteelStream liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12