Approaching Fish with Stealth or Not!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yesterday while I was on the water I got a chuckle at how this guy was dressed and how he slogged his way across the river like he was in a rush to get to a certain spot, most likely spooking fish left and right. He's standing in maybe two feet of crystal clear water wearing a bright white hat and bright red jacket. Yikes! I guess he has never heard of trying to blend in with your surroundings. The interesting thing was that the other three guys (upriver from his position), that appeared to be with him wore muted colored clothing more suited for this river.
I never did see this guy land a fish..........I wonder why, he probably spooked the fish long before he got his bugs wet

yikes

Reaction score
Immediately before I got into fly fishing, I bought a rust-colored Columbia rain jacket. It looks exactly like the one in the photo. I'm too cheap and stubborn to get rid of it. Sigh... at least when I hang my head and slouch in shame at my stupidity, it helps my stealth.

dennyk

Reaction score
I tend to wear drab colored clothing when fishing and approach the stream as quietly as possible.

The only exception is a brighter piece of clothing during the Michigan hunting seasons depending on where I'm fishing.

Denny

cerec_cat

Reaction score
When fishing the mountain streams in Wyoming, my grandfather would not allow me to go if wearing a white shirt.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I remember watching a guy one time, with every casting motion something on his vest would flash like a signal mirror in the sun.
..,. and I could see this from like a 1/4 of a mile away !, so there was no chance that every fish around didn't notice it as well
I went over there and told him about it and he pocketed what ever it was, but it was real apparent this was an issue.

bumble54

Reaction score
Concrete boots seem to be a popular accessory here in the UK judging by the way some anglers stomp their way along the bank before wading in up to the knot in their tie, completely ignoring the fact that I'm kneeling 20 feet back from the waters edge trying to delicately
present a tiny dry fly to a fish rising 6 feet from the edge. Forgive our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us, or words to that effect. :amen::mmph:

dillon

Reaction score
If he entered the river in the faster water he is standing in he probably spooked less fish than if he waded through the smooth water upstream of him. Wading will send out shock waves in smooth water more than in water with a chop. Still one should wade with stealth. Shock waves can be reduced by pointing the toe of your boot in the drink first when taking a step rather than the flat boot bottom that pushes the water. Of course, moving slowly and approaching the area you are going to fish from down stream helps too. Trout have very keen senses, enabling them to see and feel predators within range. However, like us, they do not have eyes in the back of their heads.

Was this angler also committing no-no's like false casting over the fish, ripping line off the water, and using large, brightly colored thingys over feeding fish?

dillon

Reaction score
Concrete boots seem to be a popular accessory here in the UK judging by the way some anglers stomp their way along the bank before wading in up to the knot in their tie, completely ignoring the fact that I'm kneeling 20 feet back from the waters edge trying to delicately
present a tiny dry fly to a fish rising 6 feet from the edge. Forgive our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us, or words to that effect. :amen::mmph:

While casting in to a bank feeder, I've had people walk up to the river right over the fish to ask me, "how's the fishing, are you catching any?" Or, they want to wade in there. I try to be aware of intruding anglers, in order to wave them off in time. Even walking on a stream side path can offend feeding fish. Always stay clear of the bank when walking past someone fishing near a bank. Some rivers tend to draw a more educated angler, others not so much.

flyminded

Reaction score
Always makes me wonder when I see a photo by the Becks ...the angler in the shot almost always has one of the loudest brightest shirts on I’ve seen near water.

dillon

Reaction score
Always makes me wonder when I see a photo by the Becks ...the angler in the shot almost always has one of the loudest brightest shirts on I’ve seen near water.
That's because bright colors "pop" in a photo. A certain photographer friend always wanted me to wear a red shirt when fishing with him. I finally caught on after he was always shooting me holding his photo fish...

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
The book "Fishing the Midge" by Ed Koch shows him wearing a bright red shirt while fishing. he later states in the book that this not the appropriate dress and indicates it was for photo enhancement. Might be the only book or article I read that makes note of this.

photoguy

Reaction score
I fish the Swift in Massachusetts a few times a year. Crystal clear water, lots of easily seen fish. More often than not there's a fish right next to my leg staying out of the current and when I move they move along with me...literally inches away. If I were fast enough with my net I bet I could catch one. Not sure how easily these fish are spooked after they've had a chance to be around a lot of people.

westcoast

Reaction score
Yesterday while I was on the water I got a chuckle at how this guy was dressed and how he slogged his way across the river like he was in a rush to get to a certain spot, most likely spooking fish left and right. He's standing in maybe two feet of crystal clear water wearing a bright white hat and bright red jacket. Yikes! I guess he has never heard of trying to blend in with your surroundings. The interesting thing was that the other three guys (upriver from his position), that appeared to be with him wore muted colored clothing more suited for this river.
I never did see this guy land a fish..........I wonder why, he probably spooked the fish long before he got his bugs wet

Probably fearful of being mistaken for a Deer.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I wear a vest as I don't like chest packs or anything in front of me. The vest I wear is a tan color and I am a little concerned about being noticeable on the water. It doesn't seem to be a issue on the bigger water such as the Upper Delaware but its always in the back of my mind. On smaller rivers I like to wear something more drab over it. Shiny tools such as forceps and other accoutrements can flash and scare fish. I'm going to look into a additional vest color for Eastern waters as I feel the tan is more appropriate in a Western landscape. I may look into a hip style pack that can be moved from the back to the front when needing to access it. It would have to be waterproof.

In addition to clothing color wading boots with studs and metal wading staffs all introduce noise which affect wary fish. You need to learn to fish like a heron.