Back from Mexico

duker

Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from two weeks holiday in Mexico. We stayed in a little resort just outside of Tulum, about two hours south of Cancun at the south end of the Mayan Riveria. I managed to get in a bit of DIY fishing and a bit of guided fishing while we were there.

The quick and dirty:

Third morning there I got up just before the crack of dawn on the first calm day, grabbed my gear and headed to the public beach just up the road from our resort. I saw another guy fishing there, a young guy from Montreal fishing with a spinning rod and piece of shrimp for bait. He also had a fly rod but hadn't much luck with that. He'd been there down there a couple of other times and had some luck fishing off that beach. I was hoping for some bones but he said there were rarely there, only sometimes really early in the morning if the tide was right. I moved just down the beach from him and started fishing, just hucking casts out as far as I could and stripping back quickly. After a dozen or so casts I came up tight on something, not very big, that I couldn't see at first. It took me for a couple of quick runs, actually bent into my 9 weight, and when I finally got it in I saw that it was a small permit. I mean really small--2, maybe 3 lbs maximum. I was so friggin' flabbergasted when I saw it I just kinda watched it run around and finally blurted out "Holy sh*t! It's a little permit!", to which my new buddy from Montreal said "Right on, man!" I got the hook out and let it go and just kind of stood there for a while--my very first permit, and nothing more than 100% pure dumb ass luck. So it goes.

And. . .nothing else after that. I wandered down the beach a bit, trying some more casts, but couldn't scare up anything more. There was a huge amount of thick brown seaweed coming in, and piled up on the beach, and it made casting and retrieving a pain in the butt. I went out a couple of afternoons later in the trip, including another public beach, and just the sheer amount of seaweed basically made fishing impossible.

I also booked a day with Pesca Maya lodge, going for bonefish in Ascension Bay They use a two guide system, and it works well I think. A senior guide is paired with a more junior one, so you have an extra set of eyes and extra hands to deal with line control. Unlike the fishing I'd done in Belize and Turks and Caicos all of the casting was done from the panga, which I frankly needed some work on. Landed some bones, lost some more, and had a lot of laughs with the guides. Can't say enough good things about my two guides--genuinely decent fellows and great guides to boot.

The non-fishing parts of the trip were also fun. We explored Tulum, toured the Sian Ka'an Bioshpere, saw some ruins, ate some great food (and found some excellent local craft beers), and just generally had a great two weeks.

I'd read the earlier post warning about travelling to Mexico just before we left. I don't want to start any sort of geopolitical debate, but I will say that my wife and I had a totally safe and enjoyable trip. And I managed to squeeze in some fishing as well.

Scott

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Awesome!! Glad you enjoyed yourselves. I was down there during the bad time, but I was working and in Chihuahua. Totally different scenario than what you had, I guarantee you that.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Scott
Thanks for haring your trip report, it was very interesting to read and congrats on landing your first Permit! Yahoo!!!

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I’m headed back there in May. I’m disappointed to hear about the sargassum weed. It was bad last time I was there but I hear it got worse. Did you drive down past Boca Paila toward Punta Allen? Was the seaweed problem also bad there along the ocean side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duker

Reaction score
Oldskewl, I did make it down around the Boca Paila bridge when I was out with Pesca Maya. I only fished it from the lagoon side. There was a bit of weed, not much. All of my fishing with them was in the lagoons in and around Ascension Bay. The weed was much worst on the seaside beaches and rocks. I got lucky the morning I got my permit (in more ways than one) in that there wasn't any wind, and not much weed coming into the beach. A week later when I walked down to the other public beach (south of our resort, on the road to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere), there was just so much wind and weed that it made fishing impossible. I think if you can get in and around Ascension Bay, south of Boca Paila, you'll find some lagoons that are relatively weed free and easy to fish.

Where are you staying?

Scott

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Ah ok thanks. I guess we need to focus on the lagoon flats. We are going to be staying a few days in Akumal, then on to Mahahual, for a week, and then Lake Bacalar for a few days. I was going to book in Tulum again but got an offer to stay at a friends place in Akumal so I think we’re going to do that instead. I’m hoping the beaches up and down around Mahahual / Xcalak will be fishable without too much weed.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Awesome that you caught a permit while just goofing off. I’ve never hooked one, but I’ve caught bonefish like that off the Keys. Hard to convince my wife I need all the gear and flies I cart around and keep acquiring after catching fish just wading and throwing into the flats off the campground.

tomilg

Reaction score
Congrats on your first Permit...I'm still trying to catch my first.

I live here are we got into a mess of Permit (20-30 lb range) just off of the beach near Akumal.....they were only about 20 feet away but never took my crabs......currently the sargassum is bad, but it usually just depends on the wind,and then it tends to build up in some of the smaller coves.

It is usually cyclical here and hopefully by May, it will dissipate and Old Skewl will get to fish clean beaches.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Congrats on your first Permit...I'm still trying to catch my first.

I live here are we got into a mess of Permit (20-30 lb range) just off of the beach near Akumal.....they were only about 20 feet away but never took my crabs......currently the sargassum is bad, but it usually just depends on the wind,and then it tends to build up in some of the smaller coves.

It is usually cyclical here and hopefully by May, it will dissipate and Old Skewl will get to fish clean beaches.
I love the positive attitude and thank you for it! We will be staying in Akumal for a couple days before we head to Mahahual. We should hook up for some fishing and or cold cervezas!

crc01

Reaction score
Ah ok thanks. I guess we need to focus on the lagoon flats. We are going to be staying a few days in Akumal, then on to Mahahual, for a week, and then Lake Bacalar for a few days. I was going to book in Tulum again but got an offer to stay at a friends place in Akumal so I think we’re going to do that instead. I’m hoping the beaches up and down around Mahahual / Xcalak will be fishable without too much weed.

Nothing much to add except to say that I love Xcalak. Absolutely one of my favorite places on the planet.

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Nothing much to add except to say that I love Xcalak. Absolutely one of my favorite places on the planet.
We plan on going there at least one day and fishing Chetumal Bay.